Thread: Will IF slow my metabolism??? page

Sara6 is offline Junior Member

Will IF slow my metabolism???

Primal Fuel
    At almost 46, showing definite signs of peri-menopause, I have gained 18 pounds since last Thanksgiving. Before The Holidays, I was getting comfortable eating just twice a day. Lunch around noon. Dinner at 7:30. Now, I had been on a "diet" and the weight gain consisted of the 10 I had just lost and 8 friends. Of course, I was not eating primally, just eating all the holiday crap and trying to eat high fat primal at the same time. Bad combination.

Anyway, I've heard that not eating regularly slows the metabolism, and at this time in my life I don't want to do anything to jeopardize it further. However, I'm much happier eating just twice a day, and I can narrow my eating window to 5 hours if I must.

Questions:

Does IF have to be sporadic (a couple of times per week) or can I follow the lunch and dinner routine daily?
    Do I need to eat in a 5 hour window?
    Will this slow my metabolism?

Thanks!

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    @Sara6 - from everything I've read on the board and in the book, IF will not slow your metabolism. What will slow your metabolism is chronic caloric restriction.

IF is/seems to be a very personal decision and how you do it needs to work for you. For me, I IF once per week, from Dinner on Friday to Dinner on Saturday. Others on the board have written about skipping a meal every day.

Look around and read the others posts, experiment and do what works for you!
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    No
    No
    No.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    No, it will not. I'm a big fan of IF and do it daily. My metabolism is not slowing down at all.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    me too
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Mermaid is offline Member
    As I understand it, you have to get enough calories during your eating window. Experiment with what works for you. It may work to continue with just skipping breakfast, and if you are getting enough primal food and feeling satisfied, then try going longer one day. Keep doing that gradually.

Some people IF by eating during a daily 5-8 hour window, some do it by fasting 19-24 or 36 hours a couple of times a week. Do what works for you and be patient with yourself. Your body is going through natural changes and it doesn't help if you add the stress of obsessing about every pound. Stick with primal, get enough calories and fat, and give it time.
    Mermaid

Sara6 is offline Junior Member

Wink

Thanks for the confirmation that this is okay! Part of the reason I like IF is that I get tired of preparing primal food 3 times a day. Even if it's just a Big Ass Salad, it's easier. IF means less food prep and I'm less likely to cave in and eat something easy and carby.

Plus, I really like the freedom from food in general. Me and food don't have a great relationship these days!

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara6 View Post
    Part of the reason I like IF is that I get tired of preparing primal food 3 times a day.
    Amen to that. I swear I burn more calories cooking, eating, cleaning these days than I thought possible. I gotta find some easier foods or start IFing until after work every day. I can't seem to get used to primal food prep.