Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb cravings.... what to eat? page

Carb cravings.... what to eat?

Primal Fuel
    Hi I'm not doing bad on the PB , I'm at work mon to fri 7-5 and been eating quality beef jerky through the day to snack on until I return home. The problem is I crave carbs and sugar so bad when I return home. I've resisted so far but I think I need to eat some fat during the day to ease the urge of carbs when I get home from work. Any suggestions on what I could eat for fat during the day ? I don't think I'm eating enough throughout the day so I'll try and fill up a bit on a bit of fat. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    Fruits, potatoes, carrots,.....?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Is dinner usually planned and prepped? I used to puzzle over what to bring to work but then decided I'd rather just enjoy it in the evening (including PB carb). It sounds strange but my favorite work stash in case of belly noises is a jar of pickled pepperoncini--lots of salt and vitC is surprisingly energizing.

If you try fat I'd pack a salad with homemade dressing or crudité with seasoned sour cream--these combos digest very slowly.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    I have found the best way to cut cravings for carbs or anything else was to quit snacking. If I eat 2 or 3 good meals a day and have sufficient water, I dont get cravings. Dont get me wrong, it took doing it for a week or 2 (maybe longer, I dont remember) to break the habit of snacking but once it is gone, it is pretty much gone. Snacking is more of a habit than a craving for a food from what I have experienced. I found at the beginning it took 3 full meals. Later I find I can skip breakfast if I'm not hungry or just have something small. I think carbs early in the day might lead to cravings.

And good meals to me means a reasonable serving of protein, lots of veggies and some healthy fats. That could include carbs from the veggies, sweet potato, white potato or fruit.

alanwil2 is offline Member
    A simple, but very effective thing I do is eat 2 teaspoons of butter with every meal. Some people I know eat 4-5 teaspoons of butter. First, it makes veggies and other food taste good. But, more importantly, it curbs hunger. I feel full, and can go many hours without eating. When I do eat, I eat only a fist size meal. With the butter, it is enough.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Why fight cravings for food? Eat fruit, tubers (especially white potatoes!!), white rice, dairy, honey, maple syrup, chocolate, and starchier vegetables like winter squash and sweet potatoes along with your other meal components and you won't have cravings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating actual food. Stuffing yourself with beef jerky is just silly when a banana would probably satisfy you way more.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Why fight cravings for food? Eat fruit, tubers (especially white potatoes!!), white rice, dairy, honey, maple syrup, chocolate, and starchier vegetables like winter squash and sweet potatoes along with your other meal components and you won't have cravings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating actual food. Stuffing yourself with beef jerky is just silly when a banana would probably satisfy you way more.
    +1. Are you low-carb for some medical reason? If not, a sweet potato at dinner is fine IMO. A little carb every night is totally better than you giving in to your sugar cravings and binging on cookies down the line. I think a lot of people also have high fat in the day and carbs at night because carbs help you sleep.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    I've found that a good way to deal with carb cravings is to eat a banana and some watermelon with a tablespoon of honey.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevensuperbike View Post
    Hi I'm not doing bad on the PB , I'm at work mon to fri 7-5 and been eating quality beef jerky through the day to snack on until I return home. The problem is I crave carbs and sugar so bad when I return home. I've resisted so far but I think I need to eat some fat during the day to ease the urge of carbs when I get home from work. Any suggestions on what I could eat for fat during the day ? I don't think I'm eating enough throughout the day so I'll try and fill up a bit on a bit of fat. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Is it clearly carb craving or are you just plain famished?
    You're right, eat more earlier.
    Why jerky rather than normal meat?
    Maybe nuts?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    why are you snacking all through the day? when do you eat actual meals? there should be enough protein at each sitting so you won't need jerky in-between. it's stoopid to be "snacking" on pure fat. are you eating enough cals overall?

i can't recall why you are trying to be vlc? a small potato or serving of rice won't be outrageous for carb count and will help sate you.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast