Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully added dairy, legumes, etc. back into their diet page

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member

Has anyone successfully added dairy, legumes, etc. back into their diet

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone gone strict Primal/Paleo for three weeks or whatever and successfully added dairy, legumes, alcohol, etc. back into their diet? It seems like your body will say "What is this ****?" and you will take that to mean that you are not meant to consume it, ever. (I have not ever gone strict. Giving up dairy, beans, wine, etc., or only having them once a year, just wasn't going to happen.)
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Misabi is online now Senior Member

Re: Has anyone successfully added dairy, legumes, etc. back into their diet

I went strict for at least the first few months, can't remember how long for, then brought dairy back in.

Started with butter and ghee first, with no issues. Then full cream, which was also ok, so added back in full fat milk in my tea/coffee. This was also ok.

On and off over the years, I have had periods where I've eaten yoghurt and drunk milk without any noticeable issues.

Then last spring I realised that my hayfever was particularly bad (symptoms had drastically improved after going paleo), so I looked at what I was doing/eating differently. Yoghurt almost daily plus glasses of milk and some soft cheeses. Cut the fairy back to just butter and ghee and the hayfever literally vanished overnight. Added yoghurt back in and they came back, Same with cheese. Small amounts occasionally is ok, but frequently at the wrong time of year and is not nice.

Never like chickpeas, lentils etc. So haven't bothered with them.
    Last edited by Misabi; 08-18-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The only reaction I notice is with bread. I eat it a couple or a few times a month, and it gives me gas. No pain or anything severe, but my body notices. But I think it always noticed because I was much fartier before eliminating or restricting certain foods.

Legumes were pretty much occasional foods, so giving them up just happened easily. And I never took dairy out of my life because good cheese is just good food, and no one can convince me otherwise. Obviously, I don't have digestive issues with dairy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

busydog is offline Member
    I wasn't able to add back yogurt. It gives me emergency trips to the bathroom. I rarely eat grains because they make me really sleepy and frankly, they aren't worth it.

We went on a vacation a couple weeks ago and I ate pretty much what I wanted to for 5 days. I came home sick and had a strange swelling in the glands on the right side of my jaw and down my neck. Now that I'm back to eating well, it's gone away.

I've added back alcohol a couple times a week (instead of every night.)

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I eat dairy and grains, no problem. I keep the grains very limited (maybe 1 or 2x a week).

The only thing that bothers me is excess sugar (so like eating a crazy dessert is out), vegetable/canola oil (makes me feel like acid is running thru my veins) and nightshades. I would think a lot depends on what you are sensitive to (if anything). I also never eat "fake" foods ever.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I eat an F-load of good dairy. Seems to be working well.

Sent via lightsaber

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think I eat mostly dairy. If I go without dairy for too long, I do get kinda farty. But I eat cottage cheese and yogurt every day these days without ill-effect. Oatmeal is better left never passing my lips if people don't want to endure clouds of sulfur. I don't have a problem with legumes and enjoy Indian food now and then. I think the whole thing about legumes is that they really do need to be prepared properly and then you should not base your protein needs on them because they just don't do for you what animal protein does, even if you combine well, and especially calorie-for-calorie.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

DennyB is offline Senior Member
    I was severely lactose intolerant, a glass of milk could make me clear a room. I ive recently added whole milk back after being paleo/primal for 3 years (the first year I was strict paleo) with not many issues.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Dairy: YES. All day; every day. Dairy, coffee, and gelatin are the only foods I know with certainty that I've had DAILY in the past 6 months.
    Legumes: Occasionally. I like Indian food and Mexican food. I don't make a huge effort to add them or to subtract them in my life.
    Rice: ~1-3x a week (closer to 1x), usually sushi. I will have more of rice when I'm done wanting to lean out.
    GF oats: whenever I want to... but like rice, I tend to have less of it when I want to lean out.
    JOURNAL.
    Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Paleo Pizza Crust!)
    Professional Style Website. (Latest features: How to Remix a Pant Suit; Courtney, Fashion Editor)

Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    Swear like sailor, motorboat sexy foods. Solution to all of life's problems
    Especially hunger.
    ...not so much for Tourette's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emtropy View Post
    Talking about sexy people is always relevant

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I eat dairy and drink alcohol. My body only goes "What is this ****?" if I've had too much. So, it's all in moderation. Try slowly re-introducing things. I recommend aged cheeses and yogurt for the dairy, and wine for alcohol.

I occasionally eat legumes such as black beans and peas. I am not a huge fan of these foods, but I will take them out of sheer convenience (i.e. if someone else puts them on my plate, I won't be rude). No issues to report.

I also eat white rice, no big deal. I consider it similar to potatoes. The occasional corn.

So, yes on the 'success' question.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast