Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad breath page

Salome_Schmidt is offline Junior Member

Bad breath

Primal Fuel
    Hi there, I went low carb 4 months ago (after reading Gary Taubes) and then experimented with SANE (Jonathan Bailor, The Calorie Myth) and his recommendation of eccentric workouts - but I was still looking for a bit of an extra kick and a more "whole" concept that includes more than just diet. Also I want to lose fat a little faster and I found that eating butter sticks and cream (Taubes) or double digit servings of vegetables daily (Bailor) did make me feel much better than I was ever feeling during my carb centred diet, that I had before (fewer period pain, no tiredness during the day, decrease of appetite, lower blood pressure) - but it did not make me lose weight (or at least not that much). And now since my hunger has decreased I have started the 21 day Primal Blueprint challenge. However - I am in and out light ketosis for the last 4 months, and I STILL have this bad breath, that is - so I heard in many podcasts - supposed to disappear after a while. I am brushing my teeth - and my tongue every few hours, but of course I don't want to mess with my body chewing some gum with artificial sweeteners in it. When will it stop? And until then, what can I do to deal with it? I've never had bad breath, and my husband says that it's terrible. I am now scared to get too close to colleagues at work and it has made me really self conscious all the time.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    It might not ever stop, especially if you are in and out of ketosis. It can go on indefinitely and it's not something you can brush away. Chew mint leaves if ketosis is that important to you, but just remember other people can smell it too.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Hey there,

Are there still adepts of the Taubes theory ?
    If you want to lose fat on ketosis, you will have to decrease the FAT! not increase it ... you can also up your protein intake while you do that. The 80-90% fat diet won't make you healthy you know ...

I could expend on this but I don't have time right now.

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    Recently watched some of Bailor's videos and while he does make some points I can agree with he - just like any other diet guru out there has his own type of nonsensical obsessions.
    For one he discourages any type of starches which doesn't make sense to me at all.
    Second the way he interviews vegan/low meat advocates is kind of awkward since he always brings up the same arguments just to be smacked down by them.

Well, in my case it was beneficial to get started (i.e. made it easy to get off wheat, sugar, rice etc), especially since I have eaten very very low fat since I am 8 years old. The only fat I ate at all was olive oil in salad dressings. I really can tell that I was fat deprived by how my skin and my sense of wellbeing reacted to the intake of fat. I could not possibly have "lowered" my fat intake, because before I was a vegan and ate nothing but rice, pasta, bread, fruits and vegetables. And on that diet I gained about 3-4 kg every year. I did countless IF trials and calorie reduction diets before, but it was always very tiring, depressing, constantly starving in the absence of rich fat sources.

And - by the way, I ate a lot of what counts as "better" starches such as yams, sweet potato, very long fermented rye wholegrain bread and I always sweetened with honey instead of sugar, but I gained weight steadily nevertheless.

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    You're going from one extreme to another and while it seems to have cured some of your issues you're just going to create other problems. After all bad breath can hardly be a sign of good health.

I thought it was normal during the time of remodeling the body to becoming a "fat burning beast" to have that typical ketosis breath and/or sweet urine. All I wanted to know is how long that transition until the body "uses" all of those ketones instead of releasing them into breath or urine normally takes. Mark refers to that phase in some podcasts and it does not seem to be "dangerous" - just a phase of suboptimal or incomplete adaptation.

Just for clarification - are you saying that doing the 21 day blueprint challenge is unhealthy? OR how am I creating health issues? I am just following the advice of this site.
    Last edited by Salome_Schmidt; 08-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    you have to choose: settle into ketosis or opt for slightly more carbs to stay out of it. staying in that mid-zone, or misery-zone, won't accomplish anything good. so, you need to commit and actually eat low-carb or add in some healthy carbs like fruit and tubers. dragon breath will abate with either of those strategies but not with what you are doing now.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

bilbo2 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would explore other possible causes of the BB too (such as dental issues). It might not be due to the diet change but simply a coincidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast