Thread: Paleophil's Journal of Random Thoughts page

Paleophil is offline Senior Member

Paleophil's Journal of Random Thoughts

Primal Fuel
    This is a nontraditional journal currently to be used more for discussing random stuff with smart and open-minded folks and brainstorming than tracking my health/diet.

My first entry is a response to the brilliant and beautiful queen of the MDA forum, TQP, whose journal was too popular for me to easily keep track of my musings there, which were also off-topic from the usual discussions in her journal. So I'm putting this here:

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    That is weird since Asian males are seen as more effeminate... >.> and they are also supposedly smarter.
    That was my first thought too, and indeed, Stephen Jay Gould argued that Asians are "the most neotenized human race." Neoteny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (I'm not a fan of Gould, BTW) Then I recalled another proposed factor in evolution--sexual selection. Peter Frost proposes in his very un-PC blog Evo and Proud that sexual selection was a bigger factor in evolution of phenotypes in Europe than most other places in the world. If he's right and if it's also true that males on average instinctively somewhat prefer large, round, juvenile-looking eyes, then that could explain the evolution of this trait in Europeans and the persistence of this "juvenile" trait into adulthood.

One of my nephews is a striking example of round eyes as a juvenile/neotenous trait. He was born with large, round European-looking eyes, but they have become narrower and more Asian-looking over time. It produces a rather striking result of a boy with Asian-looking eyes and otherwise European features, and a mature look, reminiscent of some Asiatic Turks, some Native Americans and some images of ancient proto-Indo-Europeans, Cro Magnons and such. He has some Native American ancestry that might help account for it. Interestingly, he started eating a Paleo/Primal-type diet earlier than his brother, whose eyes look rounder and more bulging, and their mother consumed estrogen-rich wheat germ while carrying the less-Asian brother.

There are some examples counter to this. For example, Neanderthals are often portrayed with big, round eyes (though not always, interestingly), and most nonhuman primates have round eyes, some quite large.

I'm skeptical of the hypothesis that neoteny was the primary factor in the development of larger brains, such as posited here, though it is a plausible factor and I haven't delved into it deeply:

"An interesting hypothesis put forward by paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould many years ago was that the package of the Mongoloid anatomical changes could be explained by the phenomenon of neoteny, whereby an infantile or childlike body form is preserved in adult life. Neoteny in hominids is still one of the simplest explanations of how we developed a disproportionately large brain so rapidly over the past few million years. The relatively large brain and the forward rotation of the skull on the spinal column, and body hair loss, both characteristic of humans, are found in foetal chimps. Gould suggested a mild intensification of neoteny in Mongoloids, in whom it has been given the name pedomorphy. Such a mechanism is likely to involve only a few controller genes and could therefore happen over a relatively short evolutionary period. It would also explain how the counterintuitive retrousse' [turned up at the end] nose and relative loss of facial hair got into the package."[40] "[D]ecrease unnecessary muscle bulk, less tooth mass, thinner bones and smaller physical size; ...this follows the selective adaptive model of Mongoloid evolution." - Stephen Oppenheimer, Neoteny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a bit puzzled by this singling out of "Mongoloids," though, as Mongolians look more robust/mature, on average, to me than southern Chinese.

Another interesting correlation is that estradiol is elevated, on average, in males with Down Syndrome, though chronic medications were a confounding factor. Prolactin (which Ray Peat reports is promoted by estrogen, though prolactin increases with age - Blocking Tissue Destruction) was more clearly elevated among Down Syndrome patients. (Hormonal and biochemical disturbances in Down's syndrome, Hormonal and biochemical disturbances in Do... [J Ment Defic Res. 1991] - PubMed - NCBI)

(This is going down a very un-PC path. Yay!)
    Quite. I go where the evidence takes me, regardless of how PC or un-PC it is.

Oh you dudes.

Most of these are my skirts. Apparently I like to dress like a school girl then. XD (I don't pair the knee socks with them though... That would be too weird for someone in law school...)
    Speaking of preferences for neotenous traits...

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    Subscribed! Gonna read when I land in atx.

TQP
    I was too out of it earlier today to respond to your post... Plus, it's been a weird day for many reasons. If something turns out of it, I will post about it on my journal.

Yeah, Asian males as a whole look effeminate to me. My dad is one exception to the rule though... Everyone always think he has been to the gym a lot when he has never seen the inside of a weight room.

As for the preference for neotenous traits... Asian culture finds girls who are doll-like to be the most beautiful. Very young, anime-looking celebrities. Twig-like bodies.

I need to spend less time on computers, so I'll probably be less active. I think my eyes need more rest. It can't be good to work all day on a PC and then use a PC or iPod at home. It seems like my vision has been getting worse again, particularly my night vision, after it improved some with mung bean starch. My eyes seem to need a rest, particularly my right eye, which opens more slowly in the morning. Also overdo for an eye check. Have had to do lots of overtime and there has been lots of work stress and haven't been as good about my diet and probably have had more coffee than I should have, plus more alcohol than usual (and I normally try not to drink either more than occasionally). I've been noticing that it seems like my night vision worsens from those, so I may need to go cold turkey. It seems like my sensitivity to them got worse while I was VLCing.
    Last edited by Paleophil; 10-14-2014 at 05:29 PM.

PaleoJane is offline Member
    Yes, I don't think Grok spent much time online. Eye strain can be really tough. I hope you can get to an eye doctor soon.
    PaleoJane

Primal Journal PaleoJane

If you believe it without knowing why you believe it, you might as well believe a lie.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Liking this thread and love Frost. I know John Durant is a fan of his judging by his twitter feed.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

TQP