Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Robin Williams get enough cholesterol? page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Did Robin Williams get enough cholesterol?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In reading about the tragic health circumstances of Robin Williams; there is heart disease; depression and then Parkinsons. Could these all be related to an intake of a high carbohydrate, low cholesterol diet? Just wondering.

What I Wish Everyone Knew About Parkinson's Disease

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    One could only speculate. And then there are those studies that say:

"Three recent case-control studies conclude that diets high in animal fat or cholesterol are associated with a substantial increase in risk for Parkinson's disease..."
    Does a vegan diet reduce risk for Parkinson's... [Med Hypotheses. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

I dislike articles like the one you posted because they serve to spread anti-carb propaganda. The Paleo community really needs to stop demonizing macronutrients. It will come back to haunt the pioneers.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Sadly, we'll never know. Maybe he had a sensitivity to gluten. Maybe he did need more cholesterol. Or maybe it wasn't diet related. It's a terrible shame.

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Stefan Molyneux made a fascinating video about Robin Williams a few days ago. He apparently had a rough childhood and some terrible divorces, and the issues from them kept following him throughout his life.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    Stefan Molyneux made a fascinating video about Robin Williams a few days ago. He apparently had a rough childhood and some terrible divorces, and the issues from them kept following him throughout his life.
    Depression is a disease that sometimes kills. Looking for "reasons" why someone was depressed or ended up dying by suicide is pointless, IMO. More helpful to look into prevention and sustainable treatment, as well as reducing the stigma of the illness.

Sore point for me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Depression is a disease that sometimes kills. Looking for "reasons" why someone was depressed or ended up dying by suicide is pointless, IMO. More helpful to look into prevention and sustainable treatment, as well as reducing the stigma of the illness.

Sore point for me.
    Understood. I'm not a psychiatrist, just a curious person.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

TacotheTim is offline Member
    Depression has nothing to do with a cholesterol deficiency. There seems to be a promising line of research regarding neuroinflammation and the kynurenine pathway in the pathophysiology of major depression.

Which really just comes back around to the generally unhelpful advice that everyone ignores about eating well and living a healthy lifestyle.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    he struggled with cocaine addiction and i always wonder if that sort of thing permanently rewires the brain. and not in a good way.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Depression is biological: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

As the Stanford biologist in the video expounds upon, early childhood trauma makes you more prone severe depression; the kind that you don't come out of.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Reventon is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    he struggled with cocaine addiction and i always wonder if that sort of thing permanently rewires the brain. and not in a good way.
    This. Given Robin very notoriously spent all of the 80s and a chunk of the 90s on Charlie and booze and had a couple of publicised relapses (that he was ballsy enough to talk about in detail), this is going to be a much more influential factor on his neurochemistry and health than wheat or cholesterol. Coke has been proven to very much conclusively rewire the brain and the relationship between depression and alcohol dependency makes the two almost synonymous.

It's honestly like looking at a guy who was stabbed repeatedly in the face and asking "I wonder if his breakfast of pancakes and maple syrup contributed to this outcome."

Bear in mind I don't say this as a judgement on the guy - I love Robin Williams. But it is what it is.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast