Thread: Question about figuring protein and fat need page

clearlyd is offline Junior Member

Question about figuring protein and fat need

Shop Now
    I'm new to this, and have question about my protein - and fat too.
    I see that your formula is .7 - 1 grams per lb. of lean body mass. I need to loose 80 lbs,,, So I assume that I would do the math for the lean body mass that I am aiming for, and not my current lean body mass,,, Is that right? If so, computing for my target weight and a not too strict amount of calories, I would need: about 80 gr. protein, and then (using recommendations), a maximum of 80 gr carbs.,,,and that would mean about 96 gr. fat. I'm wondering how Ok it is to meet the carb and protein target, but eating more fat - sometimes much more. Today for example I ate 85 pro., 77 carb, 150 fat. I could really use some feedback.
    - I realize that 80 carbs is a maximum carbs for weight loss and I am eating less some days: 49, 65, and 70 are daily carb totals for some days this week.

BushcraftAl is offline Member
    Typically it's the best if you're overweight to calculate off your lean body mass when determining nutritional requirements. For the best results, you want to meet your macronutrient requirements as close as possible.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    are you male or female? that's not quite 2000 cals which may be too much if you are female or maybe not. if you are male it probably is not be enough.

80 gms of protein is on the lowish end...

the carb curve here has pretty much fallen out favor, but if you want to start relatively lc, that's fine.

you're just going to have to see how you do.

everybody is different.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Your lean body mass means all your non-fat mass. So losing fat won't change that number, but building muscle, or increasing bone density will. So if you're 200 lbs @ 40% bodyfat, your lean mass is 120 lbs. But erring on the side of too much protein is probably the safe bet.
    The Champagne of Beards

alan9692 is offline Junior Member
    you are looking at this too much of a calories in vs calories out. yes your body needs a cretin amount of calories but allot of those need to come from stored body-fat for you to lose weight. if you are trying to maintain muscle mass make sure you continue whatever workout plan you have going on it takes quite a while for the body to cannibalize muscle if you are on a low carb diet and it requires a protein intake of under .5 per gram of lean weight on top of that. your gut actually consumes 50 percent of the protein you eat and can down regulate its consumption if protein is scarce so you don't really need to focus on protein requirements as long as you eat primal you will be more than fine. as far as carbs go just try to stay as low as you can go for fat loss. carbs directly increase hunger so the more you eat the less you will lose. and as far as fat goes just stick to the fats in meats and eggs and mabey add a little to cook with and as a salad dressing. the amount dosn't matter too much. in the end as long as you stick to primal foods and get your veggies in the ratios usually work themselves out. you need to only focus on eating when you are hungry. if you arnt hungry dont eat because that usually mean you are burning fat.

source: 80+ pounds lost and over 3 years independent research which untimely led me here to this site.

witeopinie is offline Junior Member
    For the best results, you want to meet your macronutrient requirements as close as possible.

These clarifications, helpful,,,
    I also am recovering from late-stage Lyme Disease. My symptoms are mostly neurological and surprisingly my directly gut symptoms are minimal. I have gained a lot of weight though, and have somewhat of a blood sugar problem that I never had before I got sick - not only because moving around has been a big issue, but also,,, you can imagine the struggle my gut bacteria have with 2 years, still ongoing, antibiotics. The pb seems good for probiotic and prebiotic activity which is Big for me, and also matches the diet recommendations for chronic Lyme: NO sugars, very low carb and good protein. The most advanced medical people also recommending more fat than SAD, especially butter and meat. I am studying also about resistant starch, which people in the Lyme community don't seem to know about at all,,,Can't seem eat much potatoes, even cooled,, and looking into unmodified raw potato starch, even bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Like others on this site, money is a big issue for me, because I live on disability right now and meat is expensive. I don't like chicken too well, so eating mostly frozen and canned fishes, eggs, and some homemade raw whole milk cottage cheese that I make - the leftover raw whey is good to drink too because loaded with friendly bacteria. Nutritional yeast is a good protein additive for me also. Thanks again for comments - any other suggestions most welcome. Appreciate all the info on MDA!
    Last edited by clearlyd; 08-15-2014 at 01:15 PM.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    you can use the left-over whey to lacto-ferment veggies which will also help your gut.

if you don't tolerate potatoes try plantains or green, unripe bananas.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Greetings

I find too many people think too much about the ratios and how much of what to eat and it just makes folks crazy. This is a byproduct of the whole diet system our society tries to make us dance to and it needs to stop.

Knowing how much food to eat is a personal thing and will take some experimentation on your part as everyone is different. I make sure that every meal includes by volume 1/3 of the meal is meat and 2/3 of the plate is veggies if possible. eat to satiety at every meal and only eat when hungry. Learn to judge what hunger really feels like and if you find yourself getting hungry again too quickly try adding some more meat and fat. if you find your energy levels flagging add some more carbs and find a balance.

I eat about 3500 cal a day over 2 meals, I work on my feet and ride to work every day (a 22 km round trip) so my food needs are going to likely be different than yours. I base my rough protein calculations on 1 g protein /lb of current body weight to make sure I get enough food. I have lost 130 lbs doing this so it works for me.

take a few months and see what works for you.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Thanks for these latest posts,,, In fact, I am doing as suggested - but I was feeling unsure. I never have been oriented to measuring nutrients or food amounts. This diet initially seemed very radical to me,,, but as I work with it, and read on the site, it is not. There seems to be a wide continuum for applying the blueprint, while adhering to a few basic insights about metabolism. I am going to try fermenting veggies with whey,,, I make my own sauerkraut with only cabbage and a little salt, and am going to try making some kimchee. Considering how impaired my gut should be after massive antibiotics, I'm surprised that I haven't so far had any major effects from using these natural probiotics,,, As for prebiotics,,, I have read about green bananas and am going to try to get some green banana flour. I might try the unmodified potato starch, too. I bought some Bob's Red Mill at a discount store for the experiment, but I'm waiting until I am more solid with the pb diet, first.
    Last edited by clearlyd; 08-16-2014 at 12:18 PM.