Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Protein page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

Alternative Protein

Primal Fuel
    I've wandered away from Primal, but it's time for me to get back on track. One problem that I keep running into is protein.

I cannot afford "grass fed" "pastured" meat. I've looked for affordable farms in my area, no go. I can't afford the prices at the grocery store. Maybe I could do a lb of "grass fed" ground beef a week, but that's about it. I did find some neighbors who have backyard chickens, so I've at least got that going for me.

How do you get around this problem. I can't be the only one who can't afford "healthy" meat. Do you suck it up and buy just a little bit of "healthy meat" per week and then make up the rest of your protein in other ways?

What non-meat ways do you get your protein?

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Eat the best that you can afford.

That's all you can do. If you are eating conventionally-raised meats, be sure to choose the leanest cuts and trim and discard all visible fat.
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 168#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    I just eat whatever meat is on offer, if it's a very tough, fatty cut just throw it in a slow cooker.
    Also don't forget good old eggs, cheap and an awesome source of protein.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat grass-fed meat unless it is affordable. Sometimes my market has wagyu beef which is grass fed and grass-finished at a decent price. Otherwise I just buy whatever I can afford. $30 a pound is not affordable.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    I hunt and fish for what I can, but isn't near enough because of the lack of hunting/fishing time. Buy local eggs from people with chickens, which seems to be about same price as store bought eggs. Buy whatever else I need from grocery store, and it's usually not grass-fed, etc., but don't worry about it too much.

TacotheTim is offline Member
    If money's an issue, I would just eat conventional chicken and eggs. It's illegal to use hormones and antibiotics in chicken and pigs (I think?) and the contribution of soy isoflavones and what have you to the nutrition of eggs is so vanishingly small that anyone who tries to scare you away from conventional eggs for any reason other than ethics deserves a swift smack across the face.

If you're allergic to eggs, you are SOL, my friend.

My most recent poverty diet was basically cheap eggs, brown rice, potatoes and chicken. That's really not terrible as far as diets go.
    Last edited by TacotheTim; 08-14-2014 at 11:55 AM.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    What price range are we talking about? They go unnoticed but even common retailers should have inexpensive canned mackerel and frozen pollock or squid. There's also yogurt and cottage cheese but I wouldn't make a habit out of the cheap brands.

Cartilage/stock is said to optimize uptake of the other aminos so that may reduce the amount needed too. I personally don't need mountains of meat.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed is irrelevant when it comes to protein, the argument behind grass fed "whatever" is to get more omega 3 fatty acids into your diet, so it is not related to the proteins as such. The combination of diary, especially milk, and eggs are among the most powerful protein blend that you can get for muscle building, better bioavailability even than red meat…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    the argument behind grass fed "whatever" is to get more omega 3 fatty acids into your diet
    hey! not only man! what about more toxins in CAFO beef / pork /chicken fat ? what about their miserable lives in feedlots ?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    hey! not only man! what about more toxins in CAFO beef / pork /chicken fat ? what about their miserable lives in feedlots ?
    Depending on what type of grass the cows eat there may come plenty of toxins that way also, and sometimes bad taste of the milk! Many cows eat a combination of various stuff, maybe they eat grass for a period of the year and corn products and dried grass the rest. A miserable life in the feedlots is another issue, they may even be fed grass there and still technically be "grass fed" ...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast