Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very frustrated and need help, please! page

sleepy girl is offline Member

Unhappy Very frustrated and need help, please!

Shop Now
    I made a thread in fitness yesterday about the problems I'm having, it's here and I don't want to repeat myself: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...sorry-so-long). I got one response, and I was grateful for the one, but I just woke up, got on the scale and want to cry. I was so fatigued from working out yesterday that I slept almost all day, but still tried to do a little weights anyway. I woke up this morning and I've gained a pound instead of losing anything. I don't do the scale every day, maybe once a week, but still. How can I have the diet that I posted over there and be working out and still gaining weight?

My stomach has gone down so much since I started in December, everything fits better, but all of a sudden I went from a stall in weight loss to now packing it back on. Could someone look at my post over there and see what I'm doing wrong? I guess I could drop the 2 bites ( and I'm not kidding, it really is just 2 bites) of potato I have with dinner, but if I don't have some sort of carb before bed I wake up hungry and sweating. Please help!

shepherd is offline Junior Member
    No expert but here's what I'm seeing:
    1) Toss the scale. Your clothes are fitting better, your stomach is getting smaller. People don't see your weight when they look at you, they see your shape/size.
    2) Make the potato an occasional thing, not an everyday thing. There are better carbs out there (like fruit and a lot of veggies) that can fill your carb need while having some nutritional value too. I don't think it's pushing you past the carb limit for weight loss, but I'd switch it out for stuff that has more vitamins etc to offer.
    3) You kind of hinted at it in your other post - you might not be eating enough food. Despite the fact you feel satiated (I know the feeling - when it's hot, I lose a lot of my appetite too). You have to find ways around it like eating stuff cold from the fridge. My husband and I usually have a whole chicken we bake and then cool to pick on when we need cold meat.
    4) I agree with Jessjane on the other thread about bodyweight exercises first. Then I'd suggest finding someone who knows how to lift weight to teach you.
    5) Fatigued after exercise - this is going to sound really odd - try not exercising for a week or two and see what your results are. Our bodies are pretty keen in letting us know when we need rest.

I guess those are my thoughts. Hope they help!
    In your face, Space Coyote!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    rest. if youre fatigued, REST. your body is stressed and youre not going to be burning fat.

you cannot "gain a pound" overnight. ditch the scale. the scale tells you nothing, really.

your diet looks spot on, sounds like you need to rest, and maybe experiment with some IFing. To ramp up your fat burning, youre going to have to spend a significant amount of time not eating. 12-20 hours, instead of 3 squares a day. mabye try to do this once a week to start with?
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-07-2010 at 07:39 AM.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    1) Toss the scale. Your clothes are fitting better, your stomach is getting smaller. People don't see your weight when they look at you, they see your shape/size.
    Yes, yes, yes!

Also, I suffer from pretty extreme fatigue at times (I have a disease similar to Lupus). When I feel that way, if I just cannot muster a workout, then I just try to be a bit more active than I feel like being. Does that make sense? If I just want to get in bed or lay on the couch, I will think "well, I can putz around the house for 20 minutes doing a bit of cleaning, I can handle that" or "I can take my dog for a slow 30 minute walk, I can handle that". Stop beating yourself up about not working out or not working out hard enough. Don't let the fatigue rule your life- move your body a little bit- it will help with the fatigue. (((hugs)))
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Thank you, Shepherd! I just talked to my husband about eating more cucumber instead of the potato. Another reason I don't eat much is because we don't have much money, but if I slide in an extra cucumber a day with dinner instead of the potato maybe that will help. And cut out the teaspoon of butter I was having. I read dairy makes you gain, but I didn't think a teaspoon would hurt. It's just so discouraging. I looked in the mirror this morning and I SWEAR my little lower belly fat is smaller than last week, but I gained a pound on the scale since then. I do not understand what is going on here at all, and it's hard for someone who used to be as thin as I was.

Thank you again for your reply.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Also, take pictures of yourself to judge your progress. I know that if I just go off my own perception, that I can LITERALLY see myself get fatter while I look in the mirror.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    2) Make the potato an occasional thing, not an everyday thing. There are better carbs out there (like fruit and a lot of veggies) that can fill your carb need while having some nutritional value too. I don't think it's pushing you past the carb limit for weight loss, but I'd switch it out for stuff that has more vitamins etc to offer.
    3) You kind of hinted at it in your other post - you might not be eating enough food. Despite the fact you feel satiated (I know the feeling - when it's hot, I lose a lot of my appetite too). You have to find ways around it like eating stuff cold from the fridge. My husband and I usually have a whole chicken we bake and then cool to pick on when we need cold meat.
    4) I agree with Jessjane on the other thread about bodyweight exercises first. Then I'd suggest finding someone who knows how to lift weight to teach you.
    5) Fatigued after exercise - this is going to sound really odd - try not exercising for a week or two and see what your results are. Our bodies are pretty keen in letting us know when we need rest.

I guess those are my thoughts. Hope they help!
    Does eating dinner at 6ish and then not eating again until around 8 the next morning count as IF? I don't know, just asking. I was able to go 17 hours once, but I got so shaky I nearly passed out and had heart palpitations after I ate. I'm scared to try to go that long again. Thank you so much for your reply. I need all the help I can get.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    If you stand on a scale one day, and then the next day weight one pound more, you probably need to take a big ol dump.

That's pretty much it.

Hope this helps.

quick edit: I'm not joking, seriously. 90% of the time when someone I know says "OH MY GOD I GAINED A POUND IN ONE DAY" or something along those lines, its almost always because they are packed with poo and just havn't gone yet.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy girl View Post
    Does eating dinner at 6ish and then not eating again until around 8 the next morning count as IF? I don't know, just asking. I was able to go 17 hours once, but I got so shaky I nearly passed out and had heart palpitations after I ate. I'm scared to try to go that long again. Thank you so much for your reply. I need all the help I can get.
    not really....its more like going to sleep.

i dont know your health background very well, but its perfectly OK and healthy for one to go long periods of time without consuming food. If you are not eating much to begin with though, it will be challenging. If you want to try again, I suggest eating more than normal on a day before the fast (lots of protein, fat, ect) and then begin the fast around 8 or 9 pm (or whenever dinner ends). try to fast until noon the next day. Work from there.

and, dont fear dairy. people like to make the case that since dairy makes cows grow big and fat, it will make people grow big and fat. pretty simplistic! (reminds me of the low-fat mantra, too) Unless youre pounding pint glasses of milk, you are FINE with butter and high fat dairy like cream in your coffee. i have continued to lean out and burn fat while eating butter, cheese, and cream. dont shortchange yourself on the butterfat.

Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Yes, yes, yes!

Also, I suffer from pretty extreme fatigue at times (I have a disease similar to Lupus). When I feel that way, if I just cannot muster a workout, then I just try to be a bit more active than I feel like being. Does that make sense? If I just want to get in bed or lay on the couch, I will think "well, I can putz around the house for 20 minutes doing a bit of cleaning, I can handle that" or "I can take my dog for a slow 30 minute walk, I can handle that". Stop beating yourself up about not working out or not working out hard enough. Don't let the fatigue rule your life- move your body a little bit- it will help with the fatigue. (((hugs)))
    Thanks so much Say_rahhh! I just feel so bad about myself when I don't work out. I think it's because I used to date a guy who really hounded me hard about doing it, even when I was sick and used to tell me I wouldn't be so fat if I just got off my ass and did something. I did do something, and I was still fat. I still feel that way, so I work out even when I'm so tired I can't move, then end up paying for it for a week by not being able to move at all due to fatigue. I can't seem to get that balance between too much and too little and get that voice out of my head. And then I see so many people here doing so much more than me and I think 'If I could just be like them and just suck it up and get through the work outs, then I'd be thin again'. It's all so very, very frustrating.

Thanks again or your reply.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast