Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping posture page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

Sleeping posture

Primal Fuel
    Based in the principle that our body is still very much the same as that of our paleo-ancestor and considering that they didn't have a scientifically developed matrass... what is the best way to sleep? Hard bed with hides? piles of hides to lay on?
    Is sleeping on your back really good for your posture? or is sleeping on your sides better?
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

JungleJazz is offline Member
    I'm pretty sure that was largely personal preference even for grok.
    Perhaps he only liked piles of hides in the winter & slept on warm (not so soft) sand in the summer?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleJazz View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was largely personal preference even for grok.
    Perhaps he only liked piles of hides in the winter & slept on warm (not so soft) sand in the summer?
    I disagree. Ask any chiropractor. Mine told me sleeping on your back on a fairly firm bed is best and that has definitely been best for my spine. That would mean a pile of hides or straw with hides or something like that would probably be good.

Just because "Grok" did it does not mean it's optimal.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Grok was probably happy when he was able to sleep on something flat rather than lumpy.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Ask any chiropractor. Mine told me sleeping on your back on a fairly firm bed is best and that has definitely been best for my spine.
    Ditto. My best sleep was on plain floor futons in Japan (could add a wood frame for elevation). IME sleeping on side either causes or indicates something not-optimal, I always regret it.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    My most common sleeping posture these days is on my side with cat poking her legs into my back, air conditioner roaring because summer in the mid-Atlantic and it's freaking hot, and Futurama playing as background noise.
    So, in short, my "sleep hygiene" is awful.
    However, if you want to talk Primal, I'm sure their sleeping habits included in the dirt with bugs crawling all over them and weapons within arms reach incase of hungry predators or human enemies showing up unexpectedly.
    So I don't feel too bad about it.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    My chiropractor also says sleeping on the back is best. Side is okay if the neck is properly supported. She says not to sleep on the stomach, because it forces the neck to stay in an odd position, cutting off circulation.

That said, if you can invest in a better mattress, do so. I had a shitty mattress for years, and no matter how I slept, I woke up in back pain. Last year I bought a Tempurpedic mattress and also invested in the moveable bed frame. The idea is to adjust it so your knees are at the same level as your heart; kind of like a recliner. They have these types of beds in hospitals to promote bloodflow, and eventually was adopted for consumer consumption. Between the Tempurpedic mattress and the adjustable frame, I have never had better sleep in my life. It puts the body in a natural, neutral position, while sleeping.

Adjustable Beds | Adjustable Bed Frames | Electric Adjustable Bed Base

Also, I do not recommend buying the Tempurpedic pillows. They are too stiff and force the head to be on a different plane than the body, putting weird strain on the neck. The pillows came with the mattress, and they are seriously good at causing neck stiffness and pain. Get a feather pillow.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post

Just because "Grok" did it does not mean it's optimal.
    Sorry, the internets made a misunderstanding there..
    But that was exactly my point.. I don't think you can look back to primal humans & say yes! That is scientifically optimal sleep.

Grok would have found it pretty easy to choose a less than optimal sleep situation.. Because sleep position & bedding is still a personal preference thing no matter what materials were available.

Pretty hard for grok to eat less than optimal junk food as it was non existant for thousands upon thousands of years.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Yes, get a good mattress. Big fan of the SleepNumber mattresses. Mine is actually a predecessor to sleepnumber, over 20 yrs old and going strong.

I also sleep with upper torso elevated. Seems to help my sleep quality and eliminates morning congestion.
    Here's a link to an audio on using inclined beds:
    http://oneradionetwork.com/health/an...-june-23-2014/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I heard a "fact" about mattresses that purely grosses me out & I hope it's just propaganda to make you buy a new one every X years..

But apparently, by the time a mattress is 10 years old - it is about 25% heavier than when new due to it being full of dust mites & dead skin cells etc etc

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast