Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Hack F/W 2014-2015! page

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member

Cool Potato Hack F/W 2014-2015!

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,
    It's that time of the season again! Let's lose some pounds by pounding pounds of potatoes. (hehehe)

Rules (via TaterOtzi, the OG of the potato hack on MDA):

[H]ere's the gist of the potato diet: As a quick way to lose fat, eat nothing but potatoes for a week or two. As seen above, you can gain weight if you eat too many, so don't overeat. Try to eat 2-3 pounds per day as plainly as possible. No butter, sour cream, no milk, no eggs--just potatoes. Nearly everyone who tried this last year in the numerous threads and on many different website forums found they could effortlessly lose 1/2 to 1 pound per day and keep the weight off afterwards. It's not water-weight, it's fat!

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily, include cooked and cooled daily!
    3. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think ‘de-load week’ Lifting light things/walking OK.
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF’ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the “Potato Reset” diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.

Some suggested reasons this works so well:
    - Food Reward/Satiety
    - Calories Restriction
    - Resistant Starch/Butyrate/Gut Flora Connection
    - Insulin Sensitivity Regained
    - Ketosis from calorie restriction/butyrate forming short chain fatty acids
    Additional Suggestions (via yours truly, as discovered by participating in TaterOtzi's and Epicurie's fall/winter 2013 potato hack experiment):
    1. Eat 2 meals of potatoes a day. Lunch & dinner (fasting & coffee until lunch) works for most.
    2. Eating plain potatoes for lunch and fancier potatoes for most (otzi suggested this). Example: boiled potato for lunch, baked French fries for dinner.
    3. No more than 1tbsp oil or fat per 2 lb potatoes.
    4. No more than 10g of added protein per meal. If you need protein in your diet, it is suggested to just have a separate meal of protein & then a potato meal. 5 hr separation.
    5. Keep boiled or baked potatoes on hand in fridge for snacking and hunger.
    6. Eat to satiety, not stuffed full. Should be about 800-1800 cals* depending on your caloric requirements.
    7. Drink tons of water. (Epicurie mentioned this).
    8. For your first potato hack, it might be better to do 3 days, reassess, then repeat rather than the full 5-7 days for various reasons.
    9. If you have been LC/VLC for a while, it might be helpful to start taking more RS and incorporating more paleo carbs (tubers+fruits) into your diet for at least a week or two before starting the potato hack. Otherwise you might have more blood sugar crashes or constipation problems.
    (* I usually have about 1600-1800 cals because any lower and I get insomnia at night. If you get insomnia on the Potato Hack, try upping calories by eating more potatoes... do NOT up calories by adding more fats!)

Previous Threads and Relevant Research (I will update this post if more research comes to light):

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread99145.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67137.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73514.html
    Resistant starch consumption promotes lipid oxidation

Ways to eat your potatoes:
    -Mashed potatoes.
    -Potato soup (with a bit of broth).
    -Boiled potatoes.
    -Waffle iron hashbrowns.
    -Oven-baked french fries (my personal favorite).
    -Cold "potato salad": vinegar, seasoning, boiled potatoes, VERY small amount of olive oil.

I will be starting this more seriously starting September 1st, but I've been doing a few days here and there the past week or so.
    Last edited by TQP; 08-11-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Nice. Thanks TQP.

Starting this as well, but I have some food to eat through before it becomes a proper PHD.

I'm not great at journaling so unsure how frequently I may update, but I'm in it for a long haul over the next few months; doing it properly for the RS by cooking and cooling my potatoes.

Very long-term goal is to get back around 150 and then reevaluate. Starting 195-198 (fluctuates) -- but for me it will really count once I'm under 190.

It would be nice to lose at least 20lbs by Dec? Let's do it!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Excellent, TQP! Not sure how long I can hang in on it this time. I only lasted 5 days last round. We'll see
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

janeen is offline Senior Member
    Signing on. Contemplating. I'm usually pretty low carb.
    Janeen

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janeen View Post
    Signing on. Contemplating. I'm usually pretty low carb.
    Read the part where I talk about prepping for it then with RS and slightly more carbs. You don't want to shock your body.

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    Starting tomorrow, when my eggs are all gone. Hoping to "reset" my out of control appetite. If I lose some of this stubborn belly fat on the way I won't complain!
    Last edited by Nellodee; 08-11-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    token vegetarian

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    I'm in, starting today. Baked a bunch of potatoes yesterday so I'm ready, hoping to go a full 7 days like I did a few times last fall. The only other food I'll be adding in is raspberries because my raspberry bushes are producing quite a bit and I don't feel like giving them away when this is the only time of year I get to eat them. I'll see how that goes for a few days and then see if I want to maybe freeze them instead.

I lost a bunch of weight recently so I've been annoyingly more hungry than usual. Happens every time I lose weight so I'm hoping the potatoes will kill this urge to stuff my face.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I've been contemplating doing a 6/7 potato hack for a month starting Wednesday. 6 days potatoes, 1 day of normal eating. Due to all of the concurring issues I have, I think a mostly mono meal plan might help. If not, oh well, I can't get enough potatoes anyway. Will probably include some fat-skimmed bone broth, white rice, and starchy Japanese sweet potatoes for variety. Also, due to my requirements, will eat upwards of 1,800-2,000 calories a day or 4-5 lbs. or potatoes. That is still well below my maintenance but covers almost 100% of RDA.

Only supplements I take right now are Natural Calm w/ Calcium and an iron-free multi-vitamin.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    A month ago I was leaning out well doing an every-other-day potato hack. After this crazy home weekend of labor is over and I don't need 3500 calories a day just to remain standing, I'll probably jump back into it. I tend to save hacks for my work week since it's more structured and I'm busy anyway.

May the spuds roll heavy!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    A month ago I was leaning out well doing an every-other-day potato hack. After this crazy home weekend of labor is over and I don't need 3500 calories a day just to remain standing, I'll probably jump back into it. I tend to save hacks for my work week since it's more structured and I'm busy anyway.

May the spuds roll heavy!
    That's a good idea, too. An alternate day variation, or up day, down day. That might be more sustainable for people. Maybe I'll give that a whirl too.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast