Thread: The Finite and Infinite Body Games We Play page

adi kumar is offline Junior Member

The Finite and Infinite Body Games We Play

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I recently read Finite and Infinite Games by James P Carse. It's a deeply provocative book and got me thinking about physical transformation and how we approach the start of a new lifestyle, such as one shaped by paleo principles. It's a very quick read, but I think its brevity is a strength.

Get Lean Stay Lean: Which Game Are You Playing?

Let me know what you all think and I hope it can help anyone about to start a new paleo journey.

Adi

Jenster7 is offline Senior Member
    Makes sense to me. I have been playing the 'infinite game' for a while now. Whenever I slip up I just put it down to experience and move on. Basically I learn from it and generally don't repeat my mistake, whatever it may be (eg getting over tired through not enough down time and craving/eating sugary processed carbs). Before I would have thought 'stuff it, blown the diet, might as well stuff my face now' and started back with a new set of food rules to compensate a while later. Something a lot of dieters can relate to I'm sure....

adi kumar is offline Junior Member
    I've been through exactly the same Jenster7. Something that's hard to do and can only come with time.

Salome_Schmidt is offline Junior Member
    There are healthy, playful and unhealthy, obsessive versions of playing the infinite game. In the healthy version, you are content and relieved about every bit of improvement and you enjoy all the different stages and experiences - you love your body more every day. In the unhealthy version you don't allow yourself to ever be happy, because you shift the goal posts just before reaching them, in a masochistic, self punishing manner. You are never "good enough" and you do that because as soon as you could be happy, you would lose your purpose and you would be overwhelmed by this horror vacui.

Jenster7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Salome_Schmidt View Post
    There are healthy, playful and unhealthy, obsessive versions of playing the infinite game. In the healthy version, you are content and relieved about every bit of improvement and you enjoy all the different stages and experiences - you love your body more every day. In the unhealthy version you don't allow yourself to ever be happy, because you shift the goal posts just before reaching them, in a masochistic, self punishing manner. You are never "good enough" and you do that because as soon as you could be happy, you would lose your purpose and you would be overwhelmed by this horror vacui.
    Good point.