Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please offer advice page

Tom123456799 is offline Junior Member

Please offer advice

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I was hoping that somebody could help me with this problem by giving advice on the situation. I am 17 years old.

Let me start with my history -- as a child I had GERD for many years, burst appendix, stomach volvulus, chronic cystic acne, IBS. The last 2 are ongoing. I have been eating a wholefood diet - raw milk, grass fed beef etc for about 6 months now. I decided to start paleo 12 days ago, and my family have not stopped criticizing. I made some homemade bone broth and it chucked away when I was upstairs. My mom had a breakdown crying saying why are you eating like this, you are harming yourself. My fridge full of offal and grass fed beef got turned off last night, I woke up with all the meat gone off and inedible so I had to eat bananas all morning whilst I defrosted some beef steaks from the freezer. My sister has a closed minded 'dietetic' friend who says this diet is very unhealthy and all the family have become brainwashed. I have tried sitting down and explaining it but nobody listens saying 'there is a lot of quackery on the internet'. Saying I need to go to the doctors. I haven't been to the doctors or dentist since I was referred by a doctor to a dermatologist who tried to put me on accutane for acne. I refused. My mom has read many of my books about high fat diets being optimum, etc but will not let me do this. She ran to the doctors and the doctor said it wasn't healthy.

I am stuck here. Does anybody have any advice for me? I would love to be able to fix my gut so that I can gain weight, not suffer from GERD, IBS and acne again before going to university in a years time.

Thank you
    Looking forward to hearing your opinions

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Here is my advice for dealing with people. I think these are your options:
    1. Leave. If they make you unhappy, don't live with them. If they want to enjoy your company, they can be polite.
    2. Ask them to agree to disagree.
    3. Do enough research to be familiar with the relevant evidence. If they argue with you, argue back. Cite real experiments.

Mona_InConnection is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry to hear that you don't have the support you need at this time. I am the only one eating primal in my household. My husband did it for two months last summer and then caved in to his former WOE despite experiencing health improvements. For your situation you could point out this site and the wealth of information hear if they are open to reading about it. There are some excellent YouTube videos that you could show them as well. Good Luck!
    I have embarked upon a journey to regain my health and happiness and learn to connect with myself again!
    In Connection | My Journey to a Healthier Me

DennyB is offline Senior Member
    Your 17 and under parents roof so things will be hard for a time. I'll agree with your family that the Internet is full of quacks, so don't use that as a source of information. Use articles from accredited magazines, books, doctors, ect. Also id eat a lot of fish, chicken, nuts, veggies, potatoes and rice in their presence, beef/grease still has a stigma of causing heart disease /high cholesterol blah blah blah. On the acne cool it on the raw milk, milk and the daily massive carb load of the SAD diet are huge acne triggers. Drink lots of water, get a good sweat now and then to clean your pores out and get a good clean face wash (no fragrance or alcohol) I like Dr Brooners tea tree soap, good luck. 17 is a tough age

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Time to man up Sally. Every boy needs to cut the strings at some point. When you are moved out at 18 is your point. Just do it.

sharperhawk is online now Senior Member
    Start with the things that are an easy sell. Almost everyone agrees that sugar should be limited and that whole foods are better than processed foods. The other two main things, which might be harder to sell, are healthy fats and grains. Conventional wisdom praises olive oil, so go with that. Paleo people prefer saturated fats for cooking, but olive oil isn't bad if the cooking temperature isn't really high. Ask that olive oil be used for all cooking that you'll be eating, instead of seed oils. For grains, the big one to avoid is wheat. Don't worry about the rest for now, unless you know for sure that you have a problem with a particular food.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Let me start with my history -- as a child I had GERD for many years, burst appendix, stomach volvulus, chronic cystic acne, IBS. The last 2 are ongoing.
    Honey, you sound really unhealthy. Can you ask them to give you a month on primal to see if it helps you? Maybe if they see your health improve, they will let you stay on it.

I'd focus on the aspects of primal that are universally healthy- eating lots of veggies, avoiding processed foods, decreasing carb levels to a better balance with fat and protein. Don't focus on things like "yay I can eat bacon and sausage but can't eat a berry!". I think if you eat:
    Breakfast- bacon, eggs
    Lunch- fatty steak
    Dinner- sausage and bone broth
    You will get a bad reaction from people....

If you eat:
    Breakfast- eggs scrambled with veggies and turkey sausage, fruit
    lunch- big salad with chicken and veggies
    dinner- steak with sweet potato and veggies
    snacks- fruits, nuts

You will get a better reaction.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

PrimalAmber is offline Junior Member
    magnolia1973 has an excellent point. The more extreme your behavior looks, the more your brainwashed parents will freak out.

As for your long term plans, if I was in your situation I would spend the rest of my time before college learning everything I could about Primal living (while sneaking in as much of it as I can, per sharperhawk) and then hit the ground running once I get to college. You're probably not going to be able to convince your parents any time soon. If they're ruining your very expensive grass-fed beef on purpose, I think it's clear they're not in the mood to listen. Between now and college, it's all about picking your battles. Fight less, compromise as much as you can, and study study study so you can start killing it when you get out of the house.

On a personal note, I very much understand what it's like to have parents who are so bullheaded, and who do not trust you to make your own decisions. *hugs* for you and a *high five* for the strength you've shown so far!

-Amber

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom123456799 View Post
    Hello, I was hoping that somebody could help me with this problem by giving advice on the situation. I am 17 years old.

Let me start with my history -- as a child I had GERD for many years, burst appendix, stomach volvulus, chronic cystic acne, IBS. The last 2 are ongoing. I have been eating a wholefood diet - raw milk, grass fed beef etc for about 6 months now. I decided to start paleo 12 days ago, and my family have not stopped criticizing. I made some homemade bone broth and it chucked away when I was upstairs. My mom had a breakdown crying saying why are you eating like this, you are harming yourself. My fridge full of offal and grass fed beef got turned off last night, I woke up with all the meat gone off and inedible so I had to eat bananas all morning whilst I defrosted some beef steaks from the freezer. My sister has a closed minded 'dietetic' friend who says this diet is very unhealthy and all the family have become brainwashed. I have tried sitting down and explaining it but nobody listens saying 'there is a lot of quackery on the internet'. Saying I need to go to the doctors. I haven't been to the doctors or dentist since I was referred by a doctor to a dermatologist who tried to put me on accutane for acne. I refused. My mom has read many of my books about high fat diets being optimum, etc but will not let me do this. She ran to the doctors and the doctor said it wasn't healthy.

I am stuck here. Does anybody have any advice for me? I would love to be able to fix my gut so that I can gain weight, not suffer from GERD, IBS and acne again before going to university in a years time.

Thank you
    I had a burst appendix when I was twelve it about killed me. Had to have a hernia repair the next year.

I recommend you take a look at my SIBO protocol.

The supplementation of lactoferrin might also combat acne. Dietary effect of lactoferrin-enriched fermented m... [Nutrition. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom123456799 View Post

Thank you
    I had a burst appendix when I was twelve it about killed me. Had to have a hernia repair the next year.

I recommend you take a look at my SIBO protocol.

The supplementation of lactoferrin might also combat acne. Dietary effect of lactoferrin-enriched fermented m... [Nutrition. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast