Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone, I'm new to Paleo and I have a 50 mile run, some tips would be great page 2

SeanC is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I ran a 33 mile race in February (in 5 inches of snow) I did around 6mph at the start. By the end much slower...don't know how slow but I ended up with a run walk strategy by mile 20. This was a trail run. When you are running this kind of distance and you are new to PB then I wouldn't stick with a primal diet on race day. I would use anything at my disposable from Gels to potatoes dipped in salt. One day of this will not set you back that much and your body will thank you for the energy.

Pokiey is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    Hey, Thanks for the tips Pokiey and thank you for understanding what I am trying to accomplish and prove to myself . I'll try the dried cranberries next weekend when I go for my practice run, and probably just 1 banana with almond butter.

Just curious, do you engage in any sports?
    Do I play sports? Nothing 'formal' at the moment, but I've played baseball my whole life. I run, nothing too long though I'm training to run a 10k next month. This season I've really gotten into cycling, I can't seem get enough of it! Also re: the banana/almond butter thing, I tried this yesterday before a 2.5hr ride in wicked heat and I had really great energy! I will definitely be using that again.

Harry Guest
    I'm pretty sure that Mark says somewhere that you can't do a marathon, let alone 50 miles, without extra carbs. Can't find it right at the moment. The most I have done is a half marathon. I consider more than that nuts. Hehe. But, as Mark says, if that's your passion, do it. But find carbs that you can handle ahead of time.

Most runners don't want to do energy products that require chewing. You need your mouth open to get all the oxygen you can. I used gels when I did the half. You can get ones that are quite pure. Some people don't like gels though. You need to find something that doesn't upset your digestion, especially being primal.

If you are going to "carb up," the most important time is two nights before the run. You can, of course, do fairly primal stuff like sweet potatoes. On the morning of the run, you are just "topping off the tank." Before the half, I had a banana. (I wasn't doing anything like primal at that time.)

If you have always worn conventional shoes, don't even think about doing distance in any "barefoot shoes" until you have adapted to them.

Good luck!!!

Ernst is offline Member
    Thanks for the tips guys. I used to eat a lot of mashed potatoes when I was training. We all know PB says not to eat starch but most of the primal athletes do for glycogen replenishment and storage purposes.

Would there be any negative effects of sweet potatoes in my diet? I think I would only eat them when I get done with a hard days of training or a day or 2 before a long run. Any other time, I will be strict paleo.

Ernst is offline Member
    Yeah Pokiey, I bet you had lots of energy with the almond banana. I'm super excited to try it but I don't feel like spoiling myself trying it right now until I actually need to it. I'm already eating ton's of meats which I wasn't able to do before.

Harry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I used to eat a lot of mashed potatoes when I was training. We all know PB says not to eat starch but most of the primal athletes do for glycogen replenishment and storage purposes.

Would there be any negative effects of sweet potatoes in my diet? I think I would only eat them when I get done with a hard days of training or a day or 2 before a long run. Any other time, I will be strict paleo.
    Read this post by Mark http://www.marksdailyapple.com/power-foods/ Sweet potatoes are fine.

Ernst is offline Member
    Hey thank much Harry.

Every one has been really helpful on this forum.

wildwoman is offline Junior Member
    I ran a 50 miler several years ago. Training for it was tough- 25 miles on Sat and 25 miles on Sunday. Massage on Monday and just a few miles during the week. Don't know how I would approach the event being Primal. I really think you will need to store glycogen in your muscles prior - fruit, dried fruits, paired with nuts/seeds. Test out foods during your training. At that time, I was using fig newtons, gels etc. Maybe Lara bars would be a good choice since they usually only contain 2 or 3 ingredients like cashews and dates etc. My best marathon (3hrs and 12 seconds) was done after a pre race meal of peanut butter, banana, and raisins on sprouted bread. My buddies were all chowing down on pasta. Ezekial bread could be an option for you....
    Good luck!!!

SeanC is offline Member
    Some info on natural running fuels on this page:
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/running-fuel/

Ernst is offline Member
    Wow your a savior SeanC!!!

Great link, THANK!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast