Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What the feking hell is up with skyrocketing food prices? page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

What the feking hell is up with skyrocketing food prices?

Shop Now
    Heya, I dont know if this is just local or world wide but food prices are getting outside of my ability to eat regularly. Meat has almost doubled in the last 2 weeks, dairy, veggies, fish, everything has gotten stupidly spendy. I am having a hard time as is and for the last week I have had to forgo meat entirely but for liver twice a week and eggs.

Otherwise I am living on bone broth based soups and stews and rice with home made lard rounding out the calories. I have 4 people to feed and frankly the stress is ruining my sleep.

What the fekking hell is going on? There was a sign at my butcher saying that for the immediate future they would not be able to supply bulk meat purchases with special prices as their costs were just too high and the supply limited.

I was just speaking with an older lady at the local grocers who was in tears, she has hardly eaten anything but cat food and tuna and bread for the last 2 weeks and she felt terrible. She had never heard of making bone broth and could not imagine eating organ meat which is weird but what can you do.

I noticed the cost of the crappy processed foods were the same as always, hell Coke was on sale right next to the dairy aisle. 2L for 99 cents. 2L of milk was 3.92.

Is this an anti whole foods conspiracy by the food companies?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Team Sohn is offline Senior Member
    There are a number of things that have affected the price of foods, at least here in the states ...

Beef - The severe drought in the cattle area's the past couple of years, has caused ranches to have to cut down on their herds drastically. Then add in the major freeze (that was apparently a surprise) in the northwest this past winter that caused major numbers of cattle to freeze to death and you end up with rising prices.

Pork - A Major Porcine Pandemic has been occuring this year that affects baby pigs (only) and the mortality rate (last I remember hearing) was in the MILLIONS. Such a drastic reduction in the number of ready for slaughter pigs has doubled the price of pork.

Produce grown in California - Major drought there as well as the gooberment cutting the water alotments for farms (sometimes to 0) has lead to a shortage of certain produce. Hence a price increase.

Animal Feed In General - With the drought's the cost of animal feed has done nothing but rise the past few years. Used to be able to get a bag of scratch grains for the chickens (which isn't really necessary but they respond well to going back into their coop with a bit sprinkled on the ground) has risen from $8.00 to over $14.00 a bag. And that's just for my little flock of hens.

Combine them all together and you have price hikes across the board. The only reason "junk food" hasn't gone up is because it's mostly chemicals and GMO based foods which are HIGHLY subsidized in the U.S.

This is why I've been experimenting with growing my own as much as I can. I don't think this will resolve itself any time in the near future, sad to say.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I haven't noticed it as much because of my sources. However, the $6 two-pound bag of organic blueberries that I like just went up to $7.49 - that's a 25% increase. They can shove them. For $3.50/lb, I'll eat antibiotic-free chicken.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Big drought in California right now. Lots of wells gone dry and not enough well drillers to help everyone. Some farmers are just bulldozing portions of their orchards.

If that lady thinks organ meat is weird, what does she think is in that cat food she's been eating?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Chicken for $3.50/lb? good lords the cheapest quality locally is 8.99/lb. the Organic ish stuff is $15/lb CDN funds of course.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    If it's gone up a heap in two week's that's probably just a local fluctuation. But yeah, our food bill has tripled in the last 5-10 years. We now pay about $300/wk for food (including a pro-rated cost of a cattlebeast we get every year).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Sohn View Post
    There are a number of things that have affected the price of foods, at least here in the states ...

Beef - The severe drought in the cattle area's the past couple of years, has caused ranches to have to cut down on their herds drastically. Then add in the major freeze (that was apparently a surprise) in the northwest this past winter that caused major numbers of cattle to freeze to death and you end up with rising prices.

Pork - A Major Porcine Pandemic has been occuring this year that affects baby pigs (only) and the mortality rate (last I remember hearing) was in the MILLIONS. Such a drastic reduction in the number of ready for slaughter pigs has doubled the price of pork.

Produce grown in California - Major drought there as well as the gooberment cutting the water alotments for farms (sometimes to 0) has lead to a shortage of certain produce. Hence a price increase.

Animal Feed In General - With the drought's the cost of animal feed has done nothing but rise the past few years. Used to be able to get a bag of scratch grains for the chickens (which isn't really necessary but they respond well to going back into their coop with a bit sprinkled on the ground) has risen from $8.00 to over $14.00 a bag. And that's just for my little flock of hens.

Combine them all together and you have price hikes across the board. The only reason "junk food" hasn't gone up is because it's mostly chemicals and GMO based foods which are HIGHLY subsidized in the U.S.

This is why I've been experimenting with growing my own as much as I can. I don't think this will resolve itself any time in the near future, sad to say.
    That pretty much covers it. We've belonged to a goat share for years and the woman who runs it just announced she's throwing in the towel, alfalfa prices have skyrocketed and there isn't enough forage locally to sustain the herd due to the drought. Price per pound for half a cow has just gone up too for the same reasons. I wish I had enough $$$ to buy one now because it's only going to get worse. in the mean time we are raising rabbits, had one last night and boy was it tasty!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Rabbits are awesome - their livers are like buttah.

Here's the first part in a series if anyone is thinking about how they can raise their own food even if they live in suburbia or don't have acreage:

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Raising rabbits for food sounds great. But sadly we have a pet rabbit, and even though our kids are afraid of it, I suspect that slaughtering it will not go over well.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Too many humans demanding food and not enoug space for farmers to grow food and animals to live!!!!!

Blame the humans they are the ones causing this!!
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast