Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rachel1991's journal page

rachel1991 is offline Junior Member

Cool rachel1991's journal

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

I'm a 22 year old sudent, from the UK. I've been primal/paleo on and off for the past couple of years, but due to binge eating relapses I haven't really been able to see much of a difference (although when eating paleo I obviously noticed myself feeling better, but I quickly regained weight when I inevitably fell off the wagon and into a vat or two of ice cream...)

However recently I've been more on track and I think my bingeing days are finally behind me. My new focus is on getting healthy and STRONG. I want to start tracking my food intake again a little more carefully, and also to start lifting more.

Currently my weekly routine is as follows:

Diet:
    Breakfast- 2 or 3 eggs, a few mushrooms with olive oil or spinach
    Lunch- Large salad with olive oil, plenty of olives, 1/2 avocado, tin of tuna, mushrooms and cucumber
    Dinner- Usually some sort of stir fry type thing with ground beef/chicken and loads of veggies
    Snacks- The odd orange, pistachios

Sometimes I have a few glasses of red wine on a friday night as well. Trying to keep this to a maximum of 2 but so far not very successful :P

Exercise:
    2 sprint sessions per week
    3 weights work outs- Mainly dumbbell raise and shoulder press, but I am going to incoporate more variety from now on.
    Body weight squats most days
    Plus any walks/casual exercise I happen to do that week (badminton etc)

My aims are:
    -To increase my general strength and hopefully lose a little fat in the process (particularly focusing on my hamstrings)
    -Keep building a healthy relationship with food by not restricting too much!

I'll probably keep track of some kind of stats but I am undecided what exactly yet.

Just a quick stat:

148 lb this morning
    (I'm 5' 7.5" ish)

When I started paleo/primal about 3 months ago I was an absolute minimum of 155 lb, more likely around the 160 lb mark. Considering that within that time span I have had a lot of social events (a LOT of drinking, overeating) I would consider that pretty good. I'll be able to tighten up on the drinking/overeating over the next month or so. However not so fussed about weight as I'd like to build some muscle as well..

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Hi Rachel! I'm also in the UK (London) and there are a few others around. Your meals and workout plan sound great and I'm glad it's working for you. I only do one sprints session a week at the moment but maybe should increase to two. What are you studying?

Off to do my sprints now.

hey, I'm actually a maths graduate, I had a year a out from study but I'm going back to do a masters starting in september, in a mix of biology and maths

do you know if there are any good paleo/primal groups in London as I'll be moving there shortly? Or any restaurant tips? Have to say I am looking forward to possibly meeting a few other like minded people, where I live now I feel a bit crazy for enthusing about primal stuff and so tend to just not talk about it

So this morning I meditated for 17 minutes. One of my big goals for the coming year is to work up to do doing a minimum of 30 minutes every morning to help still my mind and cope with study related stress. I really enjoyed it and the feeling of calm it gave me afterwards.

I remember there being a London meetup thread in one of the other MDA forums a year or two ago. Also, if there isn't one already, you could set up a meetup group? I don't know anyone who's into paleo in real life either although my flatmate's girlfriend was asking me about it so may be able to convert her.

Haven't seen a paleo-dedicated restaurant but navigating most menus seems to be OK - steak's always a good choice, bunless burgers etc. Also I really want to go to the Smokehouse in Islington which sounds amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Pineneedles View Post
    I remember there being a London meetup thread in one of the other MDA forums a year or two ago. Also, if there isn't one already, you could set up a meetup group? I don't know anyone who's into paleo in real life either although my flatmate's girlfriend was asking me about it so may be able to convert her.

Haven't seen a paleo-dedicated restaurant but navigating most menus seems to be OK - steak's always a good choice, bunless burgers etc. Also I really want to go to the Smokehouse in Islington which sounds amazing!
    OK great cheers. I might have a look at groups and such once I'm settled in.

Just googled the smokehouse, looks ace. I generally do go for steaks etc when I'm eating out, which are fairly easy to find but it does get a little pricey! Luckily there seems to be more primal-ly options out there at the moment due to the gluten free "fad" which suits me!!

Building a meditation habit is going well- I've been doing 15-20 mins every morning so far, and I do quite like the routine it brings to my morning; I appreciate the chance to sit and be calm for a little while. However, I find it hard to clear my mind as at that time I am usually planning my day and thinking about what I need to do. Forcing myself to slow down and take a minute has to be good for me??

I am also reading A LOT into switching from thyroxine to dessicated thyroid for my hypothyroidism. This is a fairly daunting prospect, but I figure it's worth all the reading and hassle with doctors if it sets me up for a healthier life in the end. I am very aware that I'm still so young so I really need to get sorted now while my body is still relatively healthy, as opposed to leaving it until it all goes pear shaped (thinking pessimistically here!).

So I guess this journal may end up detailing a lot of that process. Fingers crossed it ends well.

Starting a Whole30 today to get mission "heal/help out my adrenals" off to a good start. I had far too much red wine last night but not feeling too bad this morning, surprisingly. I won't have too much trouble giving up alcohol as I don't drink all that often anyway. Anyway I am interested to see what changes this Whole30 will bring. And excited to potentially try out some new recipes!!

Good luck with your Whole30 Rachel! Just finished mine last week. I'm really glad I did it and it wasn't anywhere near as hard as I thought it would be. It seems to really have helped me kick the sugar/snack/binge monster.

Would recommend reading the Whole 9 forums too for support.

And not only do you get to try out tasty new recipes, I found that all food started to taste really, really good about a week in (and still does!).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast