Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it really that bad? page

Mizaditude is offline Member

Is it really that bad?

Primal Fuel
    Is granulated white sugar every now and then really really bad? I made these paleo cookies, which are the bomb.com by the way, and didnt have coconut sugar so just used regular sugar. Then i compared the stats of regular sugar to coconut sugar and coconut sugar has more calories and carbs. Im not eating 3 or 4 of these cookies every day, just on occassion. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Soft & Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    No. Chronically eating too much of it is bad. It's not an acute poison or anything.
    The Champagne of Beards

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    If your body doesn't have issues regulating your blood sugar, I think eating sugar is perfectly fine as long as it doesn't displace any important nutrients.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
    End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Probably not. Unless you're diabetic or prediabetic, your body is perfectly capable of handling sugar, even more so when it's mixed with protein and fat. If anything, being 80%+ paleo/primal/ancestral will only help with that because you'll be more insulin sensitive and capable of burning and using that fuel.

Still best to not eat all the time of course, but probably no harm done.

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    I'd be more worried about the almond butter in here.

intrigued is offline Member
    Yeah I'd say swapping out your coconut sugar for sugar isn't really a big deal. You don't want to eat too much just like you don't want to eat too much of anything, including coconut sugar.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    For some people, sugar is a slippery slope. Confine sugar intake to a small amount of fruit and they're fine. Add a cookie and tomorrow it's two, the next day three, and finally, they've fallen off whatever wagon they had chosen to ride. If that's not you (and some of the things mentioned in the above posts), then it's fine. The amount matters.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mizaditude is offline Member
    Whats wrong with the almond butter??

These cookies were soooo rich, one was more than enough for me. I did have that thought though about not being able to stop at one.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizaditude View Post

These cookies were soooo rich, one was more than enough for me. I did have that thought though about not being able to stop at one.
    Almond butter has too much polyunsaturated fat.

But refined sugar is fine if your diet provides enough magnesium and other nutrients to balance it.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizaditude View Post

because ZOMG THE PUFA WILL KILLZ YOU DEADZ BEFORE YOU FINISH THE COOKIE!!!!!!!!

ahem.

coconut sugar is not really better or worse than cane sugar. as long as these remain treats, you're fine.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast