Thread: Need supplement advice - fenugreek, alpha lipoic acid, adaptogen page

biel88 is offline Junior Member

Need supplement advice - fenugreek, alpha lipoic acid, adaptogen

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing reactive hypoglycemia (dr diagnosed through 3 hour glucose tolerance test) and my hemoglobin a1c's are usually between 5.5-5.8. My doctor wants me to try and get it down to 5-5.3. I am back on the PB after falling off the wagon and am serious about getting healthier. I am taking supplements as well. Here is my current list:
    Multivitamin
    vitamin D3 5000mg at bedtime
    adaptogen (Adaptogen), 1 capsule twice daily(my other dr. gave this to me because he believes my reactive hypoglycemia is due to adrenal fatigue, endo disagrees since type II diabetes runs in my family)
    CLA, GLA, omega fatty acid complex, 2 softgels 3x a day (MRM Smart Blend on sale at AllStarHealth.com)

I would like to add in Fenugreek and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I was wondering if:
    1. Do you think it's safe to take these together?
    2. How much should I take each day?
    3. Is it safe to add to my current supplement regimen?

I appreciate the input! Thanks!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    most do better taking d3 in the morning.

before you start adding supps willy-nilly, what do you eat for actual food? vitamins and minerals are far more bioavailable this way.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

biel88 is offline Junior Member
    My dr. told me to take the D3 at night because he wants to calm my immune system down, and he said your immune system is mostly active at night.

I eat eggs, salad, chicken, steak, lamb, fish, turkey, spinach, zucchini, broccoli, onions, bacon, cauliflower, butter, sheep's milk feta cheese (small amounts), olives, olive oil. I have been trying to stay away from fruit and starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes. I was advised by a peer to not snack because it would cause an insulin response and make my body so used to getting that, and maybe that was causing my hypoglycemia.

Grassfed4me is offline Senior Member
    If you have amalgam, silver, fillings you do not want to take ALA (alpha lipoid acid). It chelates mercury & a few other metals. Unlike some other chelating agents, ALA crosses the blood brain barrier, thus taking mercury into your brain.

Symptoms of mercury poisoning are varied and most, nearly all, doctors do not recognize the symptoms. MS, lupus, autism, fibromyalgia, IBS, and some other "modern day" health issues are mercury related (and misdiagnosed by doctors). (Doctors like blood tests which are almost useless diagnosing mercury exposure because mercury quickly settles into your brain & organs.)

Even if you don't have amalgam fillings, it may be smart to do a hair test to see how your body is managing it's minerals. If you react to the ALA, definitely get a hair test & learn more about Andy Cutler's Frequent Low Dose Chelation program.

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by biel88 View Post
    I was advised by a peer to not snack because it would cause an insulin response and make my body so used to getting that, and maybe that was causing my hypoglycemia.
    Definitely can be a contributing factor. A few years ago when I was gradually and inexorably gaining weight I came across the "5 rules of leptin," which help the body have a healthy response to insulin and leptin. One of the rules is to eat no more than 3 meals a day and no snacks. At that time i was eating breakfast, lunch, 3:00 snack, dinner, evening snack. The first one to go was the evening snack which wasn't too difficult for me. Getting rid of the afternoon snack was tougher and sometimes I would eat dinner early, like at 4 pm. You end up increasing the amount of food at meals somewhat to compensate. After following the leptin rules I gradually lost 20 pounds in 6 months on a fairly SAD diet.

Still would have some hunger in the afternoon, but 6 months ago had a big improvement in decreasing between-meal hunger by optimizing gut health with resistant starch, diverse fibers, fermented foods, and probioitcs. I also had quit most high-glycemic grains such as wheat. So, there can be many things that may help, just have to experiment and keep a food log.

My understanding is that as long as your body is in "insulin mode" due to recent eating, it will store fat and can't burn it. After the insulin level goes back down, it's fat-burning time, (though if you've been used to eating frequently it can take awhile for your body to switch to burning fat instead of making you feel hunger pangs.) Good luck!