Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Chocolate as Medicine page

Decoski is offline Member

Dark Chocolate as Medicine

Primal Fuel
    On my shift yesterday, I was taking on some new responsibilities that were making me feel stressed and nervous. I had some dark chocolate in my lunch bag at the time and ate two squares of the Lindt 90% dark chocolate. Within 15 minutes, I felt calm, yet alert, and the anxiety was greatly diminished. Curiously, I then did a search on the internet and found that dark chocolate does indeed have a calming effect. It wasn't just a coincidence! I'm eating a square every shift now.

garp94 is offline Junior Member
    I've been having brewed cocoa nearly daily for the last few weeks, and it definitely relaxes and makes me a happy camper.
    no dairy and no sugar, just hot water and cocoa powder.
    Amazing stuff

stevie is offline Junior Member
    I eat a square or two of dark chocolate every night before bed, screw healthy teeth, I need it to complete my bedtime relaxation routine.
    If you enjoy reading up on using natural supplements for medicinal use, I definitely recommend following Natural Standard. I did an internship for them in college and can vouch for the intensive work they put into evaluating and researching natural products. They basically look at anything used as a natural medicine, from cocoa to fish oil to ayruvedic medicines, and they compile all the studies available on those products and evaluate the quality of the research and then give the product a grade of effectiveness in treating different ailments, from blood pressure to cancer.
    This is an article they wrote about a recent study on cocoa: Cocoa polyphenols enhance positive mood states but not cognitive performance

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Yep. The more sugar there is, the more like junk food it becomes. I think the break-even point (in terms of benefits vs costs) is at around 70%.

Anything darker than 70%, and it's positively medicinal.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yep. The more sugar there is, the more like junk food it becomes. I think the break-even point (in terms of benefits vs costs) is at around 70%.

Anything darker than 70%, and it's positively medicinal.
    I like these:

Amazon.com : Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Nibs Sweetened, 4-Ounce Pouches : Grocery & Gourmet Food

They are crunchy and only vaguely sweet - certainly not creamy like a chocolate bar. I tried the unsweetened version as well. Couldn't stand those.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

zuzanac is offline Member
    I have cacao every day
    Magnesium

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Green tea helps with that also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

tatertot is online now Senior Member
    Go to a health food store or Amazon and buy cocoa nibs and raw cocoa beans. Can't go wrong with these! 100% chocolate or nothing! Actually I will sometimes get 80-90%, but rarely. If I have no nibs or beans, I eat baking chocolate. About 1oz/day. A true 'superfood!'
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Go caveman is offline Junior Member
    Another great reason to eat the real dark stuff! I have eaten the Lindt 90 % stuff loads but find it a little chalky. My favourite is is Green & Blacks 85 %

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    If I have no nibs or beans, I eat baking chocolate. About 1oz/day. A true 'superfood!'
    Ditto. It's easy enough to melt onto fruit or sweeten manually, I'd rather skip the candy aisle.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast