Thread: How to go forward when you have a health scare? page

stevie is offline Junior Member

How to go forward when you have a health scare?

Primal Fuel
    So I have previously been primal and I feel great when I am, I lost 50 lbs and had tons of energy. I fell off the wagon this past November, no weight gain and still eating moderately healthy with primal in mind. I don't ever eat gluten or dairy, and I try to keep in mind the overarching concept of lots of meat and lots of veggies. Though, I was definitely giving into the gluten free hamburger buns and pastas and sugary deserts much too often.

I decided this past week that I needed to get back on the wagon, especially since I am headed to Hawaii in two weeks and I want to have that primal energy to hike up volcanos. I know it was awfully stupid to wait so long when such a life opportunity is coming up. But I did it, I was super strict, I recorded everything I ate and kept all my numbers in perfect ranges. I decided to put myself into ketosis for the first week in order to trudge through the carb flu in hopes that it would make that process come and go much faster. And it did, I had that horrible weakness and headaches for the first day only. Then as long as I was paying attention to what my body wanted, I felt pretty good.

So time to get gross. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that I wasn't pooping. So five days in I realized I hadn't done that since starting primal when I had horrible abdominal pain. So I took some laxatives and stool softeners and was having bowel movements for the next couple days, but the pain wasn't getting better. Then on the third night I developed a fever, which is when I decided a trip to the ER was necessary. They pumped me full of fluids and morphine, did an ultrasound and a cat scan, and sent me home without any answers. They found that I had a small ovarian cyst, but said that it was so small that it shouldn't be causing that pain. For information sake, when I went in, my heart rate was extremely high, 140s, and my blood pressure was extremely low, and my temp was 101.

So my question is where do I go from here? I want to get back to being primal, but I'm scared that stressing out my body will send me back to that place of pain. (btw I'm a pretty healthy 25 yr old weighing in at 202) But maybe the pain was a coincidence, completely unrelated? Or maybe it was constipation and as long as I watch that it will be ok? Or maybe ketosis is too intense for me, I had always previously kept my carbs between 50-100g?

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar to this and/or if anyone has any advice as to how to transition to primal safely?

MITBeta is offline Junior Member
    Have you been paying attention to your electrolytes?

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    I want to get back to being primal, but I'm scared that stressing out my body will send me back to that place of pain.
    Or maybe ketosis is too intense for me, I had always previously kept my carbs between 50-100g?
    Important distinction here. Ketosis is a stressor, but Primal should not be--it's meant to be optimized human fuel (after customization). Of course refined oils/sweeteners/flours will not benefit your gut condition so I'm assuming you weren't considering that but Primal absolutely can and should include whatever amount of type of plant material will keep things moving. Cultured vegetables and prebiotic fibers might be what's missing.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

I was trying to stay on top of my electrolytes. I was taking potassium and magnesium supplements and bathing in epsom salts each day. I was also trying to add pink himalayan sea salt to meals. And if I still felt a little off or dizzy, I was drinking some chicken broth.

Picklepete: That is good advice. I like that you say primal shouldn't be stressful. I don't know why I convinced myself a short run of ketosis was a good idea, even a change to 100 g of carb would still have probably been a dramatic difference. I also think my body might go into ketosis at even higher than 50g because on Sunday I ate a higher level of carbs, sweet potatoes and fruit, and when they tested my urine at the hospital, it still contained ketones.

I will definitely increase vegetables and try to add in some pro and prebiotocs to help my gut. I have always had a temperamental gut. Before the first time I converted to primal, I had horrible acid reflux at night, which has been cured ever since after about a week of primal eating.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    I was trying to stay on top of my electrolytes. I was taking potassium and magnesium supplements and bathing in epsom salts each day. I was also trying to add pink himalayan sea salt to meals. And if I still felt a little off or dizzy, I was drinking some chicken broth.

Picklepete: That is good advice. I like that you say primal shouldn't be stressful. I don't know why I convinced myself a short run of ketosis was a good idea, even a change to 100 g of carb would still have probably been a dramatic difference. I also think my body might go into ketosis at even higher than 50g because on Sunday I ate a higher level of carbs, sweet potatoes and fruit, and when they tested my urine at the hospital, it still contained ketones.

I will definitely increase vegetables and try to add in some pro and prebiotocs to help my gut. I have always had a temperamental gut. Before the first time I converted to primal, I had horrible acid reflux at night, which has been cured ever since after about a week of primal eating.
    Boiled potatoes and parboiled rice seem a good idea at this point. Once feeling well, start to replace them with more vegetables.

Personally, I think ketosis is great. But I don't go for that under 50 grams of carbs per day thingy. Too extreme for my taste. I stay mostly in ketosis on 100 grams of carbs per day if it's all from low carb veggies coated in butter or maybe some berries.

Also consider 'carb cycling'.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    So my question is where do I go from here?
    To a competent health practitioner. Hospitals are pretty good at making sure you won't die within the next 24 hours or so, but less than stellar at many other diagnosis. Just isn't their area to be honest. I've seen it plenty of times. Long as you aren't dieing that instant it's mission accomplished far as they are concerned.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-05-2014 at 06:08 PM.

gdot: Thank you. I think I was letting myself get to literal and never even though about the idea that the grams of carbs that send a person into ketosis is individual to that person and not a set number just because an infographic on marksdailyapple says so. I have heard of the benefits of carb cycling as well and think I will give that a try. I don't think extremes are worth it and I'm going to take a gentler approach for my body.

Neckhammer: I completely agree and I didn't even think of ER's in that sense. It was definitely unsettling when I could hear them discussing my case with confusion outside my room. I am seeing my PCP tomorrow, who is amazingly competent. She is an MD and board certified in hollistic medicine and she has always fully supported primal eating and using nutrition as a healing agent.