Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis not working? page

Swedeitis is offline Junior Member

Ketosis not working?

Shop Now
    Morning. 10 days ago, I decided to try for Ketosis because my doc told me shed some weight before a major knee surgery...my surgeon (who is amazingly a nutritionist as well if you can believe it) suggested I shift from a vegetarian to a paleo diet long term but also encouraged me to try to go low enough on carbs for ketosis (and gradually add carbs in) and I have been at 50 or lower for 10 days now. I would say on average I've been at 40...however, I have not lost a single pound. Most of my intake has been veggies (20%), fats (40%) and protein (40%) and my calorie intake has been around 1800 which is low enough for someone my size (6'2 200p) and activity level (crossfit 3 times a week, cardio twice). Any ideas? The induction stage was awful and while I am over it now, I am not anywhere near my normal energy level. Maybe worth noting that I was at 350-400g of carb a day previously.

Thankful for any advice you might have...be easy on me, this is a huge change for me and I feel a bit lost.

Nillos is offline Senior Member
    A list of what kind of food you're eating right now would be helpful.

Anyways - I suspect you're probably better of not doing the ketosis thingie and just make sure that you get your carbs from root veggies, fruit and potatoes rather than getting them from bread/pasta/sugar.

Thanks Nillos...no bread, pasta or sugar. I've been eating a lot of eggs & veggies, fish & nuts. Lots of fats from coconut butter and nuts. My grain intake was insane before so I am trying to stay away from that completely but so far, I am not noticing any benefits. I would have thought to have lost some weight...only positives is that I don't feel as hungry all the time which I am guessing is that I no longer need glucose re-ups. And I feel less bloated.

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Less nuts more gelatin!

Gelatin? In what foods do I find it? I don't eat meat..well, except for fish.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    In order to reach ketosis, you need to get your fat percentage up to 60%+. You may be eating too much protein to get into ketosis.

That said, you have done 10 days of very low carb. Essentially you have done what your doctor suggested. Maybe your body needs more carbs to lose.
    Crossfit is tough.
    100-150 grams is a good carb level.

sharperhawk is online now Senior Member
    1800 calories are too few for your size and activity level.

50 grams of carbohydrates is not a magic number. Some people need to go lower to achieve ketosis.

You may be overtraining. Have you read Mark's fitness recommendations? Also, the hardcore keto advocates like Phinney say that you may want to cut back on exercise until you have gotten over the hump. Another issue is that high protein (to support a high activity level) can prevent ketosis because protein can be converted to glucose.

I don't think that reading about paleo/primal prepares people for a ketogenic diet. If you have decided to try keto, read about it from people and organizations that specialize in a ketogenic diet. Then use primal principles (whole foods, healthy fats, etc.) on top of that.
    Last edited by sharperhawk; 08-04-2014 at 08:33 AM.

jenna is offline Senior Member
    Doing crossfit while doing induction into ketosis. Essentially, you're body desperately needs the carbs it's used to to fuel those workouts and it will do anything to get them including burning your own muscle mass and any dietary protein you eat into glucose. That partially prevents ketosis and probably ups your inflammation. Not a good idea. If ketosis is your goal cut out crossfit for at least a week, just do a lot of walking instead, and then up your fat content. After you adjust (which I don't think you really have yet) you should be able to go back to crossfit and be able to burn fat instead of protein for energy. Good luck!

Ha, yes, to be totally honest, I've been sleepwaking through my workouts because I just don't have the energy...thanks guys. I'll ease up and focus on the keto part for now...

Demonas Karalius is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey there!

I've been in Ketosis for almost 3 months, and it's been a wonderful experience.

To get adapted to Ketosis, I would suggest you keep your carbs under 20g for at least 3 months. I do workout as well, and I can tell you that during the first 2-3 weeks your energy is kind of low, due to the "keto flu", but once it goes away you feel fantastic! It's a great way to shed fat and keep muscle. I would highly recommend you head over to everything about keto and its related subs (ketogains , Keto science nerds, unite!) for great info and support.

If you have any questions I would happily give you all the assistance I can with what I know. Feel free to hit me up and good luck on your journey!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast