Thread: How do you figure out what your numbers should be daily? page

Mizaditude is offline Member

How do you figure out what your numbers should be daily?

Shop Now
    If im a female thats 5'2' and 146lb, trying to lose weight how do i figure out what percentage of my daily intake should be what. I have a boring desk job 5 days a week, then i work as an emt for 13 hrs a day once a week and im trying to fit in 30 min on the eliptical at least 3x a week. For example, should i be having 60%fat 30% protein and 10% carbs (just random numbers)?

jenna is offline Senior Member
    Use your lean body weight in protein (probably about 100gms), 50-100gms carbs (lower end for losing weight, but don't count green veggies). Fat will fill in the rest of your calories.

Mizaditude is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenna View Post
    Use your lean body weight in protein (probably about 100gms), 50-100gms carbs (lower end for losing weight, but don't count green veggies). Fat will fill in the rest of your calories.
    thank you! Just to be clear, carbs are just carbs, not net carbs (carbs minus fiber) correct?

That's an interesting question around here. The "general" consensus is that you don't count green vegetable carbs at all, but for fruit and high startch vegetables don't bother subtracting the fiber. So yes, just carbs. :-)

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizaditude View Post
    If im a female thats 5'2' and 146lb, trying to lose weight how do i figure out what percentage of my daily intake should be what. I have a boring desk job 5 days a week, then i work as an emt for 13 hrs a day once a week and im trying to fit in 30 min on the eliptical at least 3x a week. For example, should i be having 60%fat 30% protein and 10% carbs (just random numbers)?
    I might be a heretic, but I'd suggest thinking of food in terms of, well, food - not carbs or protein or fat. What I generally do is try to have some sort of meat/fish/seafood and some sort of veggies on my plate, and to have at least some green veggies in there. The type of meat/fish changes, the veggie mix changes, the preparation method changes, but the general theme remains the same.

I'm not trying to lose weight, but my fiancee is, and she is losing weight eating this way. She's lost 12 lbs. so far.

Not a heretic meepster! :-) Sometimes when people are first starting out macro guidelines can help give some structure until you get a good feel for what works and what doesn't.