Thread: Nothing I eat feels good! For recovering alcoholics, does PD require adjustments? page

Scully is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Nothing I eat feels good! For recovering alcoholics, does PD require adjustments?

Primal Fuel
    At 45, I have 20 years of alcholism in my history (I've been mostly sober for 10 years now). I am a 5'6" female and until recently weighed 130 pounds -skinny fat! After experimenting with more carbs and dairy recently, I am now an uncomfortable 145! I am mostly sedentary (because I rarely feel energetic enough to exercise). I have seen every kind of doctor known to man, and quite frankly, I am through with them and simply cannot go on another doctor odyssey. (I've never been diagnosed with anything.) Here's the dietary lowdown:

I eat generally about 1800 cals, 70% fat, 15% protein, 15% carbs. Without eating high fat, I simply cannot eat enough PD calories in a day, but high fat makes me feel super sluggish and short of breath. I mostly eat meat and coconut fat. (When I added dairy fat, I literally felt like I would pass out after some cream!) My muscles feel so heavy and burn at the slightest effort, even after years of LC eating. It's like I never adapt to using the fat for fuel. I wonder if the prior alcoholism affects that.

However, if I try to reduce fat in favor of other foods, I get other problems. Fruit makes me manic with cravings. A sizeable serving of leaner protein also makes me feel cravings shortly after. Veggies are okay, but don't really add calories, unless I drench them in fat, then I am back to the high fat problem. I've tried eating more, less, mono meals, more times a day, only twice a day, etc., etc., etc. All kinds of supplements.

I seriously wish I didn't have to eat at all. It seems like I am always hungry, craving, or recovering from having eaten. I never feel like I have energy. If anyone has any ideas, please chime in! Thanks!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scully View Post
    I eat generally about 1800 cals, 70% fat, 15% protein, 15% carbs. Without eating high fat, I simply cannot eat enough PD calories in a day, but high fat makes me feel super sluggish and short of breath.
    Sounds like you have undiagnosed GERD. Digestive enzymes may be helpful.

My muscles feel so heavy and burn at the slightest effort
    Vitamin D deficiency. Magnesium deficiency. Potassium deficiency. But mostly vitamin D deficiency.

I have to sleep now....pm if you want to chat more.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    "I eat generally about 1800 cals, 70% fat, 15% protein, 15% carbs."

When did you start eating this way?
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

i started eating this way at least 10 years ago.

cillakat, I don't think I have a vit D deficiency. I live in Phx, AZ which is sunny skies almost every single day, and I do not wear sunscreen. I also take 2000 iu/day. As for GERD, if you are saying I am not digesting fats well, what sort of digestive enzyme would aid that?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked, by testing TSH, FT4, FT3? What about ferritin levels, sex hormones (you are the age of perimenopause), blood sugar issues--fasting glucose, fasting insulin, Hb1ac?

Also, you may be Vitamin D deficient even in Arizona. I was found to be severely deficient while living in San Diego and walking outside everyday.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have had all of the above tests and more (except vit D)! All in normal range, which does not mean optimal, but has not been really helpful in sorting things out. I thought for sure a big problem was hypoglycemia but testing blood glucose every 2 hours for 2 weeks proved otherwise. I stayed in a pretty tight range of 80-90 pretty much all the time. Although a 3 hour glucose tolerance test showed my blood sugar dropping very low at the three hour mark -however this is after you fast and then drink a cup of syrup. So I don't understand the ravenous feelings when my blood sugar is not reading that low! I had am/pm cortisol checked, also normal. Sex hormones, normal. An anti-aging doc did look at my tests and announced that while everything was in the normal range, it was mid normal and I could benefit by 'raising everything,' which, I guess might make me feel better but was not really helpful as I cannot afford a program of monthly bio-identical hormone injections!

I do have a script for Armour (complete thyroid panel showed tsh a littlbe above normal, everything else in normal range). To me, it seems like I feel worse when I take it. I become ravenous immediately. My basal temps are normal whether I take it or not. Oh, I am EXTREMELY sensitive to caffeine if that means anything. My body reacts to literally a sip of coffee -even though I crave it. I had all my neuro-chemicals checked and was found to be in a low normal state there too, but the expensive program of supplements designed to fix that made me totally crazy and I had to stop. My brain is extremely sensitive to any drug or supplement -a little vit. b or melatonin or aminos or even some herbs and spices makes my brain crazy, so I tend to be very conservative about supps.