Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Health issues and do I really need grains? page

Mars is offline Member

Health issues and do I really need grains?

I am fighting some health issues and my aunt is a nurse says my NO eating of grains is the cause? I can't believe that statement, as we are not cattle and didn't need bread pasta eons ago....

Anyone have any ideas on that? And ammo I can use to argue this when I go to the Dr.

My metrics are low no testosterone, protein is on the low side, calcium low side, vitamin d, hemoglobin is low, iron low, white blood cell count, liver function is elevated, all are low and I am on testosterone supplement from the Dr.

I am fatigued and can't even get to the gym anymore let alone run much of any and I have been losing strength for a long time now...

I eat tons of eggs, meats, veggies, some fruit some cheese, was eating yogurt but cut that out to much dairy and sugar even with greek yogurt the carbs in it still bugged me as greek yogurt has no vitamin D so if it's protein is a waste then I can get that from eggs and meat.

My only vice is popcorn for carbs and some fruit(few bananas for smoothies, ice cream, any kind of berries, plums, grapefruit)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mars; 08-01-2014 at 07:17 PM.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Learn it, know it, live it!

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Effects of changes in fat, fish, and fibre intakes on... [Lancet. 1989] - PubMed - NCBI
    2033 men who had recovered from MI were allocated to receive or not to receive advice on each of three dietary factors: a reduction in fat intake and an increase in the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fat, an increase in fatty fish intake, and an increase in cereal fibre intake...Subjects given fibre advice had a slightly higher mortality than other subjects (not significant).
    Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of invasive breast can... [JAMA. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    The intervention was designed to promote dietary change with the goals of reducing intake of total fat to 20% of energy and increasing consumption of vegetables and fruit to at least 5 servings daily and grains to at least 6 servings daily....Among postmenopausal women, a low-fat dietary pattern did not result in a statistically significant reduction in invasive breast cancer risk over an 8.1-year average follow-up period.
    Also notice the lack of difference in mortality rates.

The Paleo diet explicitly forbids grains. Here are some studies on the diet:
    A Palaeolithic diet improves glucose tolerance ... [Diabetologia. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
    Long-term effects of a Palaeolithic-type die... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

Mars is offline Member
    I would like to state that these levels were already low before I moved to a PD life style. I was eating cereal and some grains e.g. wraps and some bread and still had fatigue and bad metrics...

I am hoping that moving to the PD that this would go away and my macro nutrients levels would increase...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Do you have nutrient absorption issues with your gut? That's a whole bunch of low blood levels for eating a relatively solid whole foods diet. If your hemoglobin and iron are low it's no wonder you're feeling fatigued. You can eat all the red meat you can handle but it's not going to help if your body can't break down and assimilate all the nutrients properly.
    And no, you really don't need grains.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You might simply be hypocaloric due to high satiety. That could do all of the above. Try eating a little more than you usually do and see how you feel after a week. Also, make sure you are eating some liver now and then. Any liver, chicken, duck, anything.

Plug all your foods into a nutritional calculator. Make sure all your micronutrients are in the green most of the time. And check your calories. It's very common for people to not eat enough and never know it.

Grains are crap.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    Well you definitely don't need grains but you may need more carbs especially when working out.
    What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Mars is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Do you have nutrient absorption issues with your gut? That's a whole bunch of low blood levels for eating a relatively solid whole foods diet. If your hemoglobin and iron are low it's no wonder you're feeling fatigued. You can eat all the red meat you can handle but it's not going to help if your body can't break down and assimilate all the nutrients properly.
    And no, you really don't need grains.
    I am wondering that myself but wouldn't it be my small intestine? The stomach doesn't absorb the food correct, but break it down and pass it onto the small intestine for absorption?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    eggs, meats, veggies, some fruit some cheese,
    Add some starches- rice, potato, sweet potato.

For me, this is the difference with/without starches:
    I did a killer workout Friday and for breakfast, ate tacos with eggs, salsa, and corn tortillas. Felt great all day. I did a similar workout a few weeks ago and ate eggs and bacon, no carbs, felt like sleeping all day.

We don't need grains. A lot of people have issues with grains. We don't 600 grams of carbs a day like the SAD diet. But if you feel like crap and aren't eating much in the way of carbs, adding in a good source of starchy carbs- sweet potato, rice (I like corn)- might make a huge difference for you. For me, fruit doesn't add much in making me feel better (though it is yummy), but having some starches based on activity levels makes all the difference for me.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I am wondering that myself but wouldn't it be my small intestine? The stomach doesn't absorb the food correct, but break it down and pass it onto the small intestine for absorption?
    It could be a combination of both - insufficient stomach acid could mean the food you eat isn't being broken down enough for your small intestine to absorb nutrients properly.
    I do have low stomach acid and absorption problems and have found taking betaine hcl and digestive enzymes has made a significant difference in my energy levels regardless of the macros I'm eating.

sharperhawk is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What was your diagnosis? What does your doctor think is causing the low metrics?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast