Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega-3:6 Ratio = 1:1? page

goingprimal is offline Senior Member

Omega-3:6 Ratio = 1:1?

Primal Fuel
    I saw a post earlier that some are keeping the ratio at 1:1. Without me eating a majority seafood - which I would love to do but it is out of my budget at this moment - how is that done? On nutritiondata.com all land animals (at least the ones I have eaten lately) have a higher level of 6 than 3. Eggs are 1:10; grass fed beef is about the same as eggs. The best I found was Salmon at 12:1...so I guess for every land animal serving of meat/eggs, you should eat one sea creature - does that compute?

What are my fellow PBers doing to balance the ratio?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    You can buy supplements. I find fish pretty affordable where I am. I eat fish pretty much every other meal. I also eat canned tuna sardines, anchovies, mackerel and salmon. All pretty cheap by weight.

I'm also leaning more to a 6:3 of 4:1 providing all your 6s are natural from meats and nuts and none are processed and refined. As I currently understand it, we need more 6 than 3 for optimum health, just not the crazy 20:1 ratio of rancid processed seed oils from SAD.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    yes, I do try to eat about a svg of fishy for every land animal. but I take fish oil as well to offset the olive oil, coconut milk/oil, nuts etc

I love nutritiondata.com Wish the u/i wasn't so sucky.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It's a quantitative thing. The greater the difference in tissue concentration, the more inflammation, and so 1:1 is less inflammation than 2:1 and 3:1, etc. 1:1 seems like the general consensus for balancing between too much inflammation and too little.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Ok, the omega3 issue. Eating fish will not supply you omega3 unless you have fish's fat and skin. If you get the bonless, skinless salmon let's say you hardly get anything good out of it. My oppinion is that it's worthless, some may dissagree and i can respect their oppinions. But to be able to supply yourself with the right ammount of emga three is to eat it from somewhere. Go flax seeds, go chia and seaweed. Actually, that's where the fish is getting it too, it's not a fatty acid that the fish can make himself, as essential for them as for us. Where you take it, it's at your discression! That's the advantage of being the smart ones

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Humans can't make the ALA to EPA conversion very efficiently and they get literally no DHA from it. The solution is to eat the skin, fish oil, or cow brains. Or to simply not consume very much omega 6 so that the need for omega 3 is decreased.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    Ok, the omega3 issue. Eating fish will not supply you omega3 unless you have fish's fat and skin.
    link?

edit -- of course you have to eat the fish's fat, but your statement implied to me that the flesh does not contain the fat. This I am fairly certain is in error.
    Last edited by Grol; 07-06-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Humans can't make the ALA to EPA conversion very efficiently and they get literally no DHA from it. The solution is to eat the skin, fish oil, or cow brains. Or to simply not consume very much omega 6 so that the need for omega 3 is decreased.
    So whats this about cow brains? And how do cow brains compare to other brains?

Kattanga is offline Junior Member
    The 1:1 ratio is a guess. Some people guess 1:1 other 1:2 others 1:4. It's a educated guess but it's still a guess. I don't supplement fish oil as I think eating real food is better and less risky long term. The current fad of high dose fish oil could workout for people or we could see studies in the future showing that some people have issues. Eating real food pretty much is safer. We also know that a lot of vitamins and minerals are synergistic so I would guess that there might be other benefits in eating real food over taking supplements.

Also bear in mind their is now a massive fish oil industry pimping their pills to people. The same industry that would be selling you low fat crap or acai berries any other day. So I would be sceptical.

I eat a serving of oily fish every day - 3grams of omega 3 and minimise omega 6. If you eat grass fed beef, lamb or organic free range chicken and lots of veggies you should be able to get down to 1:4 pretty easily.

I haven't been able to get the ratios better than 1:2 without massive supplements or eating nothing but red meat and fish. So I don't think the 1:1 ratio is practical without taking lots of supplements or becoming a zombie and eating brains.
    Last edited by Kattanga; 07-07-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast