Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My very own Primal Journey page

cfritz8770 is offline Junior Member

My very own Primal Journey

Primal Fuel
    Even if no one ever reads this, I hope that committing myself to an entry a day will be the catalyst I need to stay on track.

The Beginning

My best friend decided that for her health she needed to go gluten-free. I, being the best friend that I am, supported her whole-heartedly and on our weekly lunch get togethers, went only to gluten-free friendly restaurants.

Meanwhile, I had some dental issues and in October I was scheduled for an extraction in preparation for a dental implant. I knew I was going to have issues eating, so I picked up some protein powder (gluten-free) and began researching.

I have always had issues with my weight. Mine is the typical "tried everything" lost weight and gained it back story, but I decided to join my friend on her gluten-free journey anyway. She was losing weight and feeling really good, so I had evidence in front of me that it worked.

Of course, I can never do anything simply, I decided, after doing even more research, that it wasn't just the protein, but all the processed food that was my issue, and I began lurking in the background of several Primal websites.

So, following all the guidelines found, I began to go completely Primal. I felt good and had lab tests to prove that this lifestyle was working for me. At 52 years old, I was eating a healthy primal diet and doing a moderate amount of exercise. I had lost a total of 35 pounds and was sure I could lose that last 10 pounds.

I guess my "falling off the wagon" occurred after our vacation. I was really proud of myself that I stayed on track about 80% of the time, but I think I've discovered my downfall....SUGAR! I think I get really addicted to even a small amount. It is really easy to find gluten-free items, but sugar-free....oh, they say they're sugar-free, but the substitutes are just as bad! I found myself craving ice cream and chocolates. In the last two weeks, I gained 5 pounds back and I've become depressed. I also feel like I'm fighting a cold, which is probably my body reacting to the "toxins" I've been consuming. I'm tired all the time and I lost my motivation for exercise.

I have gotten rid of the sugar...at least I thought I had, until my daughter brought home some candy for herself and my husband. They support me, but haven't joined me in my diet. Our family pretty much only eats one meal a week together, every one gets home from work at different times and this makes for mass mayhem in the kitchen...but that's a story for another day.

I am trying really hard to get back on track...I'm going to start reading Mark's 21 day transformation book for help.

If you're still with me, thanks for reading - and I will post something daily to keep a journal of my progress.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, cfritz, and best of luck on kicking the sugar habit! Hopefully, one day you'll look at candy and honestly be able to say, "I'd rather have a piece of fruit."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Good morning! Thank you for the kind welcome!

It's going to be a rainy day today. I hope to get my errands done as I dodge the raindrops. Today is my grocery shopping day and I promise to not bring home any sugar!

I weighed myself again today, 158 pounds. I am going to commit to only weighing myself once a week. I realized when I stepped on the scale that I rely on that number to set the mood for the day. Taking baby steps, I'm going to first only weigh once a week, then once a month, then I'll get rid of the scale completely. Just like my age, I need to view my weight as just a number, what counts is how I feel and what I eat!

My goal for this week was to get outside and work in my yard. I am lucky to have been able to "retire" early so I have time to add in new hobbies. I have done little things like pruning and it gets me out in the sunshine. It hasn't started raining yet, but my idea was that if the weather is uncooperative, I'll do research and learn landscaping techniques and gardening tips to hopefully take my yard from drab to pretty.

I hope your day goes well.
    Last edited by cfritz8770; 08-02-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Good morning! It's Saturday and it's going to rain...again. *sigh*

Anyways...Successfully completed grocery shopping yesterday and got some fruit (cherries, apples, peaches). I resisted the urge to weigh myself today and I've walked my dog. After I'm done here, I'm going to find some gardening/landscaping websites to read (since it's too wet to work outside).

Have a great day.

Another dreary day, but the rain has held off so I could get my 1.5 mile walk done. I use Sunday as my "off" day. I try not to stress about stuff, I watch movies and I play World of Warcraft. My escape day before the week starts.

Today my husband and I are going to the movies to see "Guardians of the Galaxy" and then to Firebirds Grill for dinner. Firebirds is great, it is easy to stay on track and the only splurge I allow myself is their delicious Black Diamond Martini.

I enjoy Steve Kamb's Nerd Fitness, so in that vein, my "level up" this week is to get some extra housework done. (I have rooms that really need a good cleaning.)

I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.

Milicoqui is offline Member
    Black diamond martini that sounds epic! I will have to google this Nerd Fitness, sounds s
    Like something I'd like to read. How was GotG? I have to go see it when I get the chance.

Good morning! Thanks for reading.

We had a great time yesterday. Guardians of the Galaxy was a whole lot better than what I thought it would be. You can really mess up campy but boy they got it right on this one Dinner was great too. Firebirds grill is one of my favorite restaurants. A pretty salad, a nice sirloin with green beans and of course my martini treat. (It's made with pineapple! yum)

It's cloudy again! I'm never going to get my daily dose of sunshine in this way. I guess this gives me no excuse to work inside the house today.

I hope your day is sunny!

Good morning. I hope you are doing well.

I'm still on track (yay) and hope that I can keep it up this week.

My daughter left me a present this morning before she went to work - two books by Jeff Lindsay, Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter. The tv series was based on these books and she said that they are a fun read. I usually read before I go to sleep, currently I'm reading the Alex Cross series book 10. It's been a long time since I immersed myself in a book for the day, so I'm tempted to get my chores done then make some tea and curl up with the books for the afternoon. (I won't finish them, but it might be fun.) I know she couldn't put them down when she was reading them.

I'm going to start using this to track my exercise & food to kick my awareness up a notch. It'll make it easier to see where I need to refine my life. Since I do this in the morning I'll report what I did yesterday...

Exercise:
    morning - walked dog .3 miles
    yardwork - 20 min (cloudy)
    housework - 30 minutes

Meals:
    1. leftovers from Sunday (steak & green beans)
    2. snack of 1/2 cup mixed nuts and 12 cherries
    3. chicken strips with greek seasonings, mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower & carrots)

Hope you have a great day!

Good morning. I'm feeling a little silly posting here. I try to remind myself that this is for me whether I get a lot of people reading or none.

I get so stressed thinking about the big global picture of where I am going. It's hard to envision adding even more exercises and monitoring my food more closely. I got all excited because Harris Teeter has grass fed beef and now I read that the label may be misleading. I guess I'll have to take a trip to the local farmer's market and see what I can find there. This is why I have to readjust my life in baby steps. The first 30 pounds was easy, now my body is adapting to my new eating schedule and my weight loss stalled. I resisted the urge to get on the scale today, I don't need the number, I know that I'm on track, I just need to get my day set up.

Exercise:
    morning - walked dog .3 miles
    yardwork - 25 minutes
    housework - 1 hour

food:
    eggs, bacon & breakfast sausage (I get uncured pork products)
    snack of nuts & cherries
    burger w/onions, mixed vegetables
    apple w/nut butter

Hope you have a good Wednesday.

Hello again! It's Thursday and that means...laundry *sigh*.

I had lunch with my best friend yesterday. We ate at Winston's a nice little restaurant that makes a really good grilled salmon. I guess if I was 100% primal, I would've asked if it was fresh caught, but I didn't...maybe next time.

I have ear wax issues and yesterday my right ear closed over. I tried rinsing it this morning when it didn't resolve over night...if it doesn't resolve today, I'll use debrox on it. Anyone else have ear wax issues?

yesterday's results:
    Exercise
    walked dog .3 mile
    yardwork - 15 minutes
    housework - 30 minutes ... I get weight training by lifting my older vacuum up the stairs

food:
    Winston's Healthnut Salad:
    House Greens with lemon-champagne vinaigrette, strawberries, bananas, almonds, cantaloupe, craisins, goat cheese with grilled salmon
    handful of cashews for a snack
    chicken tenders & broccoli

Have a great Thursday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast