Thread: When Can I Eat Carbs Like Reg Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes? page

LivingHealthyLove is offline Junior Member

When Can I Eat Carbs Like Reg Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes?

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys! I often see folks mention that they only consume carbs like sweet potatoes and/or regular potatoes on workout days. I wanted to understand why. Do you pack on pounds if you consume them on days you don't workout? Also, does this apply to only cardio days, strength days or both? I'm an overweight woman, in my 20s and I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago. I'm finding it almost impossible to lose weight, but trying out the primal way of eating/exercising again. Any help on this topic and tips for losing weight while primal such as this one would be helpful. Thanks!

Elliot is online now Senior Member

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time losing weight and really hope that the primal way of eating will help you. I"m sure it will definitely nourish you well.

I was 48 when I started on this, I was overweight but not hugely so, and the pounds I needed to lose fell off quickly. At that time, I focussed my meals mainly around protein (eggs, cottage cheese, meat) and colourful or non-starchy veges (silverbeet, broccoli, leeks, cabbage, celery, carrots, pumpkin) with some fresh fruit (apples, grapes) and very few nuts (almonds). I tried to keep the carbohydrates fairly low, which is why I dropped both potatoes and bananas for a while - I felt they did not offer enough nutritional value for the calories provided.

Not only did I lose fat but my diet change also dealt to various issues that I had put down to the hormonal changes of menopause. I previously had what I thought was a reasonably healthy diet but it clearly was not working for me. In hindsight, I"m still not sure if it was dropping the grains or the oils or the sugar that had the most impact. I think it's a combined effect.

Good luck with your experiment, go hard out and give it a decent trial, I hope you will not be disappointed.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If you have PCOS, my understanding is that a low carb diet is essential for you. In your situation, with PCOS and wanting to lose weight, I'd lose the potatoes entirely and try to get into ketosis with low carb (20-30g a day works for most people).

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    If you have PCOS, my understanding is that a low carb diet is essential for you. In your situation, with PCOS and wanting to lose weight, I'd lose the potatoes entirely and try to get into ketosis with low carb (20-30g a day works for most people).
    This. I have PCOS and potatoes are not really your friend. However, ketosis might also not work for you. I would say experiment and see what does. I want to try full on keto but I still live at home, which makes it problematic. Moving out next year though...!

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Welcome. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time losing weight and really hope that the primal way of eating will help you. I"m sure it will definitely nourish you well.

I was 48 when I started on this, I was overweight but not hugely so, and the pounds I needed to lose fell off quickly. At that time, I focussed my meals mainly around protein (eggs, cottage cheese, meat) and colourful or non-starchy veges (silverbeet, broccoli, leeks, cabbage, celery, carrots, pumpkin) with some fresh fruit (apples, grapes) and very few nuts (almonds). I tried to keep the carbohydrates fairly low, which is why I dropped both potatoes and bananas for a while - I felt they did not offer enough nutritional value for the calories provided.

Not only did I lose fat but my diet change also dealt to various issues that I had put down to the hormonal changes of menopause. I previously had what I thought was a reasonably healthy diet but it clearly was not working for me. In hindsight, I"m still not sure if it was dropping the grains or the oils or the sugar that had the most impact. I think it's a combined effect.

Good luck with your experiment, go hard out and give it a decent trial, I hope you will not be disappointed.
    Thanks so much for your help! I hope this time of trial and error doesn't take too long. I've been a bit impatient with my body lately in terms of learning what is best for me. But so, far I think paleo is the way too go, I just need to understand macros better and what not to eat or limit in terms of carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Thanks! I've been interested in ketosis but was turned off by the comments regarding hair loss. I also am worried about how my body will react when I try to add on my carbs because it doesn't seem like any of the paleo gurus favor ketosis as a full on lifestyle change, only something for a short period of time. But I'll do more research on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    This. I have PCOS and potatoes are not really your friend. However, ketosis might also not work for you. I would say experiment and see what does. I want to try full on keto but I still live at home, which makes it problematic. Moving out next year though...!
    Thanks! I will experiment and see what works best for me. Right now, I might not dabble in the whole ketosis thing until I understand it fully. Do you have any weight issues with PCOS? Also, has paleo been a help to you as far as weight loss?

Interesting, I've read the opposite. I heard it was best to eat your carbs in the morning for energy and not to leave them for later on at night.

Mars is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingHealthyLove View Post
    Interesting, I've read the opposite. I heard it was best to eat your carbs in the morning for energy and not to leave them for later on at night.
    True from what I have heard. Most food that is high in sugar or fat should be eating earlier in the day, and keep the calories lower at night due to reduced activity and if you go to sleep your body isn't doing any movement for 8hrs or so long time to sit with a gut full of food and not need it...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Learn it, know it, live it!