Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PhoxInSox sings Grok's Vox page

PhoxInSox is offline Member

PhoxInSox sings Grok's Vox

Grok's Vox

The journey to Primal Living

Things are gearing up for the first week of August around here. My family consists of me, a 38 year old woman with a 17 year old daughter and my 22 year old boyfriend. Yes, odd, I know.. now that you've gotten over that part!! ...on to the details.

Over the past two years I have been through a lot. An accident led to major surgery that involved removing quite a bit of intestinal tract and a LONG recovery period. During this time, I realized that many many things were now making me quite ill. I was throwing up all of the time and no one could figure out what the problem was. Not me, not my GP, and not my surgeon (whom I trust a lot more than my GP!). More recently, due to complications, i suppose, I had to have my gall bladder out and it was not the laproscopic type of removal either. Another wickedly awful recovery. I also just went through kidney stone hell for the first time in my life too. I was sick of being sick and, after all of this time had concluded that it must be that I am gluten intolerant. WHOA BABY did I ever go on a "gluten free the house" rampage. Giving it up was NOTHING in the face of no longer puking all of the time. I was not diagnosed with Celiacs though, so even my silly GP was telling me wheat was probably fine. What happens when I eat wheat products (right down to just a little soy sauce)???

WELL LET ME TELL YOU! My eyes water, my nose runs, I begin sneezing and WHEEZING..until very shortly I end up puking a gelatinous, mucous covered, evil slime ball of whatever the product was that included gluten.

I believe that is called a severe allergy? For a few months, I was gluten free.. and if i slipped up, I paid for it, obviously. It was no real hardship. I may miss bread and pasta... but not enough to be sick over it all the time. What I was realizing was that I was STILL getting sick. Not as often, mind you. Of course I was eating less of the things that were triggering the reaction in the first place so no wonder the amount of vomit games when down... but I began to question if I really had a handle on the problem. So began more research. Which lead me to learning that ALL GRAIN had some for of "gluten". Prolamines and Glutelins.. with the prolamines containing the GLIADIN! OK.. now I know that I have a leaky gut due to being ripped up and stitched back together. Glad to be alive but now I have to get BETTER!
    IT WORKED
    I got rid of ALL the grain. and yes, it did, indeed, stop the vomitfest!
    Oh my happy joy days! I know I have been reading a lot of stories in here where people are struggling so hard to "give up" the grain and sugar. That particular fight was seemingly easy for me. I am thankful for that, at least. I have only been this way for the past 3 weeks. I have loads of gluten free grains and beans and what not, still in the house, but no desire to touch them. I have been feeding the students I teach all kinds of grain foods! That seems evil in a way, but they are mostly vegetarians and big on grains. (Yes, this makes me sad, but they are not MY children).

My daughter... my sweet baby girl... She suffers and has suffered from eczema, asthma, and allergies all her life. Popping one after another in rotation in order to stop sneezing all day every day. She is ready to board this train for a 21 day trial too. She is a skinny little thing at the top of health in all other ways. I am sure I will have to feed her extra calories and what not to make sure she feels tip top during the 21 day trial. She has a job and is, for all intents and purposes, a grown adult. I cannot FORCE her to do this. All I have been doing the past couple of weeks is telling her, "this is how I am going to cook for you, here is the science, wont you please try it??". She is sad to leave behind Cheetos and ice cream but she is ready to give it a try. I hope she can stick to it and not sneak in a cookie at the Cookie Hut on the walk home from work. Otherwise we will not have a good test of the trial! She is a smart girl and I think she can do it. I will be going over the science with her a few more times before we roll out FULL primal.

The good thing about my daughter and I is that we are of that mutant stock that is a-okay with lactose. This pleases me to no end because I love to cook italian food and DAMN, I need to write a Primal cookbook about the things I can do with "pasta" (veggie noodled) on the primal plan. Oh, i WILL be posting the pictures of THAT, you can be sure!

My boyfriend on the other hand, is still younger so his body still "get over" being intolerant. He is not a lactose mutant. He is supporting this venture and has even jumped on the NO GRAIN AT ALL train the past 3 weeks. He is just GREAT! He is rather thin and working out and building muscle though... so he needs the extra carbs and what not as well. He is currently in Seattle ( we are in Hawaii and wont join him there until the end of December). He is living off a poor student budget and will accept NO HELP from me about it hahhahaha. He adores his crock pot and I plan his meals for him using an internet site called Cozi. I have loaded hundred and hundreds of great Primal recipes on our personal account. I make his meal planning as budget friendly as possible. He cannot do the organic, nor grass fed, but.. baby steps. It will be nice for him when we move and he can eat at my place I LOVE TO COOK! He has been complaining that he is feeling hungry all of the time..and his skinny frame has lost more weight. I we are going to add Quinoa and a lot of Sweet Potatoes and Wild Rice to his diet.

Myself and the Man also do at least 1 protein shake a day. I also do Vitamin D3, Folic Acid (we are considering a baby), and B12 sublingual. I have my blood tested all of the time, since I have had such a traumatic surgical event, so I am keenly aware that I need to up the ante in those departments. Sunlight is NOT enough for me.

We get sun, we walk, we play, and I am WORKING on my sleep habits. I have had terrible sleep patterns since I was a small child. A natural night owl living in a day persons world *sighs* Sprinting and lifting heavy things? CHECK!

And now we come to the avoid poisonous things. The thing we are going to be going with out. Sugar.. in all its forms. Its actually not too bad either. When you get rid of the grain and start eating this way...I see a lot of people trying to recreate desserts of all kinds with great looking success. For us? We are going to leave all of that alone for quite some time. Its just not worth it.

Right now, I have a giant posterboard in from of me. I am creating a Groks Food Pyramid to hang up on the wall. It will be featuring The Flintstones, just for a fun aspect. It is not exactly as the one in brown looks from MDA's BluePrint. Almost exactly... I will post this work of art when I finish it tonight or tomorrow!

The first day of this Journey of 100% compliance starts on August 4th here in Hawaii, and August 11th in Seattle. Though I should say it has ALREADY started.. but the actual written meal plans and such have not commenced. and a little sugar sneaks in here and there....and jeeeez the girlgrok child is asking for just ONE more bag of cheetos before we start. OK ... That is that! Ready to ROLL!

(PS, Vox means voice in Latin. If I have another Girl child, she will be so named!)
    Last edited by PhoxInSox; 07-29-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    There is an infinite, thrumming, unseen web that joins everything. Everything is connected to everything else… this fact is nearly impossible for us to grasp because we are just mollusks, shut up tight at the bottom of a dark, cold ocean, trying to make sense of stars we cannot even see.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, PhoxinSox. Great intro, I look forward to following your journey to continually better health. I hope it works for your daughter too, mine has some similar issues but she just LOVES to bake. Not helpful. Ok, catch you round.

meepster is offline Senior Member
    Welcome welcome! Take a look at my journal for some sleep hints - I was a night owl with terrible sleep patterns, so some of what I do may be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Welcome, PhoxinSox. Great intro, I look forward to following your journey to continually better health. I hope it works for your daughter too, mine has some similar issues but she just LOVES to bake. Not helpful. Ok, catch you round.
    Aloha Annieh! Thank you! I hope it works for her. She is 17 and in her second year of community college now so, she DOES have a brain in her head.. I just hope she can conquer the sugar/grain monster. She likes to bake to but if it comes to it I will start asking her to bake Primal things. Stock the coconut and almond flours. Create! Create! I hope it wont be too hard for my girl. She doesnt have any fast food things happening and I have taught her how to cook and cook well all her little life. I am making the funny primal food flinstones poster for her sake though. Kids are kids even when they are "oh so mature teens".
    There is an infinite, thrumming, unseen web that joins everything. Everything is connected to everything else… this fact is nearly impossible for us to grasp because we are just mollusks, shut up tight at the bottom of a dark, cold ocean, trying to make sense of stars we cannot even see.

Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    Welcome welcome! Take a look at my journal for some sleep hints - I was a night owl with terrible sleep patterns, so some of what I do may be helpful.
    Oh I most certainly WILL take a look see! I have been dealing with this hard core all of my life though. I am resigned to the fact that I am a natural night person. Sometimes I try to work the world around me..but the world will just not cooperate. I feel SO SO GOOD when I am on a night schedule though. Awake, alive and happy.

meepster is offline Senior Member
    Same here - which is why my recent experiment has been so startling. I used to need to wake up at 11am or noon in order to feel good, and I'd be a groggy mess if I woke up any earlier. Now I wake up at 9 or 9:30. The other day, it was 8:30am, and I felt great.

Our sleep patterns are driven by light and darkness exposure, and night owls are a lot more sensitive to light at the "wrong" time than morning people are. The light frequencies that most affect our sleep are in the blue/green spectrum. What I do now is simply wear red sunglasses for 2-3 hours before the time I want to go to bed (and turn off all white lights about 1 hour before I go to bed), and wear a sleep mask to sleep in (because my bedroom gets a lot of light at night and I can't block it out). That's all. I noticed that over the first few days of doing this, my wake-up time moved from 11am to 10am to 9:30, and it's been fairly stable at 9am-9:30am ever since. I look kinda silly in the evenings, but ah well. I never minded looking silly.

Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    Same here - which is why my recent experiment has been so startling. I used to need to wake up at 11am or noon in order to feel good, and I'd be a groggy mess if I woke up any earlier. Now I wake up at 9 or 9:30. The other day, it was 8:30am, and I felt great.

Our sleep patterns are driven by light and darkness exposure, and night owls are a lot more sensitive to light at the "wrong" time than morning people are. The light frequencies that most affect our sleep are in the blue/green spectrum. What I do now is simply wear red sunglasses for 2-3 hours before the time I want to go to bed (and turn off all white lights about 1 hour before I go to bed), and wear a sleep mask to sleep in (because my bedroom gets a lot of light at night and I can't block it out). That's all. I noticed that over the first few days of doing this, my wake-up time moved from 11am to 10am to 9:30, and it's been fairly stable at 9am-9:30am ever since. I look kinda silly in the evenings, but ah well. I never minded looking silly.

Oh i DO wear the sleep mask. I also have special red lamps all over the house that go on in the evenings. even a program that turns my computer screen to the red light hours and hours before bed. My sleep likes to be bi phasic. I do 4 hours in the night and then 4 more in the afternoon. You are so very correct about the light situation though. These steps have made it easier but not better. I have to be up at 6 am for work. blarg..... it is noon and I am already looking forward to the next two hours ending so i can go do my afternoon 4. SOmetimes i FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT my way out of this, but it makes me miserable. The sunlight is TOO MUCH! It hurts my eyes. I do not even like going outside in the daytime. The SUN IS EVIL! hahahah I sometimes wish I stayed living in Northern Sweden. 10 months of winter and long long long months of darkness I was the only one pleased about it. Cycling into what is considered a normal 8 hours a night sleep pattern causes SO MUCH HAVOC! It goes through 4 short sleep cycles instead of just two.. and then i end up layed out for a couple of days not knowing which way is up.

OK! It has not been a productive day!

The afternoon nap went off without a hitch but I must find a way to control it a bit better. I did not get much more done on the food pyramid. I will be making one for some exercise too.
    10523917_10152359238314440_7270770216923203480_n.jpg
    Thats all ive gotten to so far. I only have 4 days left before Monday creeps around again. I AM a list maker. I still need to make the meal plans and shopping lists for Sunday evening. I still need to make a comfortable schedule. I already walk, quite a lot. So, I am going to add in some gentle yoga. Since all of that surgery, I am simply a physical wreck.. or more like a new baby just getting started all over again. At least I AM starting again, right?

Ive been working with a noise machine on the computer called noisenet.com They have a wind option that I like to use and, as I fall asleep at night (and in the afternoon), I like to imagine I am high up in a deep crevice in a cliff. Laying on my lovely mattress and feeling the wind occasionally whip across my body while listening to the whistling crumples of the noise generator. It is HOT here in Hawaii. I DISLIKE IT! so the fan on high helps me create the effect of sleeping in this Dragon Aerie.

OK OK ok maybe a bit of my list work. I find that if I take the time to make the list (I usually do it for a month so a week should be easier but it isnt, somehow). I need to get to Costco, the commissary, and the local Grocer, as well as a stop by and Down to Earth for coconut products. I am SUCH an introvert so this is way more daunting for me than it is for regular folk. I CAN leave my home of course, I just prefer NOT to do so. It is my lair, my secret mad scientist lair on my volcanic island!

The Man is setting up a swimming schedule for me so that I do sprinting once a week too. I used to swim religiously, every morning. I was in perfect shape.. now? not so much. It will be good to get to the pool again, but I need it to be in the evenings so the sun isnt hurting my eyes and making me feel like an awful pile of sweaty nastiness. It will feel SO SO SO GREAT. I am looking forward to it. If anyone knows a great beginners yoga routine for those who have had recent surgery etc, please let me know. All I have to go on right now are the variety of youtube videos.

ETA: It may be the INTJ in me... I keep reading blogs ( A LOT OF THEM!) where people are all... nonchalantly eating rice and/or soy, peanut butter, peas and other assorted things because.. somehow.. SOMEHOW, they think this is ok?? Even white potatoes! I keep seeing it? I mean.. what is the point of being Primal if youre going to do that? I am not asking a condescending question here. I REALLY want to hear from people who DO this! If you do it, PLEASE tell me why. I am genuinely curious!
    Last edited by PhoxInSox; 07-30-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoxInSox View Post

ETA: It may be the INTJ in me... I keep reading blogs ( A LOT OF THEM!) where people are all... nonchalantly eating rice and/or soy, peanut butter, peas and other assorted things because.. somehow.. SOMEHOW, they think this is ok?? Even white potatoes! I keep seeing it? I mean.. what is the point of being Primal if youre going to do that? I am not asking a condescending question here. I REALLY want to hear from people who DO this! If you do it, PLEASE tell me why. I am genuinely curious!
    Hi Phox.

Here's my take on this question (and it's a good one).
    To me, Primal is about getting back to eating wholesome real food (and a healthy lifestyle but I'm just mainly going with the food side here). It's more about what I DO eat than what I don't. So yes, eliminate the worst culprits (processed products, seed oils, grains) and focus on the meat and veges, to put it simplistically.

Personally I don't eat soy, because it seems to have too much against it. But I do eat most of those other things from time to time (not much rice because I don't like it but I serve it to my family, it's less inflammatory than pasta). Peas and potatoes grow in the backyard for goodness sake. They are vegetables and I see nothing non-primal about them.

This way of eating works well even if - and perhaps especially if - you only follow it 80% of the time. So I aim for 100% and let those items that don't fit the plan fall into the other 20%. Things like peanut butter (only roasted peanuts and salt, a spoonful of that is not going to ruin my health, although it may literally kill someone else). A home baked cookie (flour, sugar, butter, cocoa) again, one cookie will not kill me and the love that it's made with is priceless.

I don't eat these things nonchalantly but thoughtfully and appreciatively, and still consider that I am "being primal".

It also depends on your goals. If my goal were to lose weight I would stop with the white potatoes temporarily (and I did). Now my goal is to stay healthy and fit enough to fulfil my responsibilities and to enjoy my life. If I begin to experience the return of indigestion, broken sleep or what I call the "sugar shakes" then I know I have strayed too far. Otherwise I see no point in eliminating perfectly edible (for me) foods.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post

It also depends on your goals. If my goal were to lose weight I would stop with the white potatoes temporarily (and I did). Now my goal is to stay healthy and fit enough to fulfil my responsibilities and to enjoy my life. If I begin to experience the return of indigestion, broken sleep or what I call the "sugar shakes" then I know I have strayed too far. Otherwise I see no point in eliminating perfectly edible (for me) foods.

ANNIEH!!

THANK you for giving me a little perspective. My strict rule following is on odd OCD habit and I need someone to take me back down a level. You have done so! Thank you Thank you!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast