Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What training should I do for my heart? page

rca1824 is offline Junior Member

What training should I do for my heart?

Shop Now
    I must have a very weak heart because my resting heart rate is 80bpm. I get winded walking up more than two flights of stairs or even just walking briskly. If I try to jog, it doesn't take long until my heart rate is spiking up to 180bpm, even at what others would consider to be a slow pace.

Right now I am lifting heavy weights 2-3 days a week, walking about 12-15 miles per week, and doing sprints in the park once or twice a month when I can get there. I have been doing the weights for seven years, the walking for two months, and the sprints for for one month.

If I keep sticking to the sprints and do them more frequently at once a week, will this be enough to increase my heart strength and get my resting heart rate down to a more fit 40-50bpm? I'm a bit perplexed as to what I can do since chronic cardio and jogging are out of the question on the primal blueprint.

Hampshire Girl is offline Junior Member
    Are you taking your resting heart rate correctly? It doesn't just mean while sitting, it means first thing in the morning before you've even thought about leaving your bed as an ideal, or at least 2-4 hours after exercise after sitting for 30 mins.

If you have a HR monitor, you can do run/walk intervals without straying into chronic cardio. PBP suggests 55-75% of your max and if you are unfit cardiovascularly this will allow for a little jogging with walk recovery intervals. You can use 220 - your age as a rough gulde to max, or there are plenty of suggestions online about how to measure your own max. In theory this will allow for improvement to the aerobic system and the sprinting will take care of the rest.

At least, that's how I understand it, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly :-)

EagleRiverDee is online now Senior Member
    Lots of things can help your heart. Even daily walking is good for the heart. If you do circuit training when strength training, you can get your strength training and cardio in at the same time by moving quickly from one exercise to the next. I'm all about efficiency.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Sex? 😜👏👏

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

UpACreek is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    Sex? ������
    ALWAYS good for the heart!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rca1824 View Post
    I must have a very weak heart because my resting heart rate is 80bpm. I get winded walking up more than two flights of stairs or even just walking briskly. If I try to jog, it doesn't take long until my heart rate is spiking up to 180bpm, even at what others would consider to be a slow pace.

Right now I am lifting heavy weights 2-3 days a week, walking about 12-15 miles per week, and doing sprints in the park once or twice a month when I can get there. I have been doing the weights for seven years, the walking for two months, and the sprints for for one month.

If I keep sticking to the sprints and do them more frequently at once a week, will this be enough to increase my heart strength and get my resting heart rate down to a more fit 40-50bpm? I'm a bit perplexed as to what I can do since chronic cardio and jogging are out of the question on the primal blueprint.
    Jogging isn't out of the primal blueprint....running yourself into the ground with perpetual training such as that to get ready for a marathon is. I suggest you measure your heart rate during your walks and pursue the Maffetone Method

Phil Maffetone - 180-Formula

Hampshire Girl is offline Junior Member
    That's interesting Neckhammer - I hadn't read the specifics of Maffetone training although I'd heard of it. Using his formula I get exactly the same training threshold that I'd worked out using the instructions in PBF.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Is it possible you have a heart rhythm anomaly that is skewing the reading? There are many kinds of arrhythmias and tachycardias you could have and not all of them are indications of poor cardiovascular conditioning. My boyfriend had one that actually would stop his heart for a little while, then when it got going again it felt like it was beating very fast. It was an electrical thing and they zapped the nerve in an out-patient procedure and now he's good as new.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hampshire Girl View Post
    That's interesting Neckhammer - I hadn't read the specifics of Maffetone training although I'd heard of it. Using his formula I get exactly the same training threshold that I'd worked out using the instructions in PBF.
    Yeah, I noticed that they correlated quite well myself. I suspect Mark adopted some of the Maffetone method ideas into his primal fitness routine as the "move frequently at a slow pace". I mean it makes sense from both a training and evolutionary perspective so why not.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    HIIT sessions, either using Tabata or some other timing of your own design.

Full body exercises such as Burpee's or wall crawls work well for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast