Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!! The TSH Monkey Striketh :( page

jakeb is offline Junior Member

Help!! The TSH Monkey Striketh :(

Primal Fuel
    A couple months ago I had a basic blood panel done.

More or less ok other than a bit high LDL, and what looked like way high TSH. Over 6. After I got done freaking out about it, consulted with a couple of doctors who all echoed the standard you-need-medication-for-the-rest-of-your-life-your-genes-suck story.

Which ... looking at my face, one might agree with the genes-suck bit.

Did a lot of encouraging reading online, and finally got around to doing a full Thyroid workup. Number below (not including rT3 since that wasn't available as an option):

T3 78
    fT3 2.83
    T4 5.67
    fT4 1.05
    TSH 6.76

Plenty of free T3 there, and everything else looks about in range, yea?

Any thoughts, leads, directions on how to deal with this mountain of TSH in my blood? As for diet, no wheat, very few simple carbs (occasional rice, living in Asia it's not always easy to dodge), as little sugar as possible (lots of time in Thailand, not easy to be totally sugar free). Plenty of vegetables, fish. Otherwise quite varied, lots of travel and different local cuisines.

Side note - last test was after six months in Europe, and a bit different diet. This one after three months in Asia - always sticking with the local ways of eating, minus bread and noodles and things with sugar.

LDL is also high at 171, tryglicerides 107, and HDL 49 (total 254). Some of the reading suggested that bringing TSH under control might fix the cholesterol bits as well.

Healthy, physically active otherwise, 72kg at 180cm, not fat, not out of shape, no drinking, no drugs, no stress.

Much appreciating any thoughts here. Been looking at Ailments and Natural Cures - some interesting things there on TSH control, Apple Cider Vinegar and the like. Managed to find some of that here to try. Hopefully some of you more experienced in this arena have already experimented and have some thoughts.

Many thanks!

Willow16 is offline Member
    You didn't give the reference ranges for your thyroid tests - those would help. Are your results low in the range? Did you have a thyroid antibody test? Were you sick when you had the blood work done?

How you feel is the most important thing. Is your thyroid swollen, is your hair dry and falling out, are you exhausted all the time, have you gained weight for no reason, any edema or brain fog? What does your doctor say?

If you can post your blood work with the reference ranges, that would give a more complete picture.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I second the suggestion to test thyroid antibodies. How is your body temperature? As you have found in your research elevated cholesterol is common with hypothyroid. What thyroid meds has your doctor prescribed? If you have Hashimoto's (antibodies test will tell) then you will unfortunately have to take thyroid hormones, though the dosage may vary as your health improves.

Be warned do not take iodine unless you are absolutely sure you don't have Hashimoto's, I speak from experience it will worsen your condition.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

jakeb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I second the suggestion to test thyroid antibodies. How is your body temperature? As you have found in your research elevated cholesterol is common with hypothyroid. What thyroid meds has your doctor prescribed? If you have Hashimoto's (antibodies test will tell) then you will unfortunately have to take thyroid hormones, though the dosage may vary as your health improves.

Be warned do not take iodine unless you are absolutely sure you don't have Hashimoto's, I speak from experience it will worsen your condition.
    Indeed. Doctor told me to take iodine. After just a few doses started getting that swollen neck feeling (incidentally also get that if I eat pizza or bread - very rarely, if invited for dinner or some such thing, but the negative effects are quite noticeable). Quit the iodine, felt better right away.

Haven't check temperature yet. Good point, will do that next.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Get another doctor! Telling you to take iodine indicates the doctor doesn't know much about thyroid. If you have Hashimoto's (7 of 10 hypothyroid in this country is Hashi's) iodine makes it WORSE! Hashi's is also notoriously false negative on blood tests, so it's difficult to determine sometimes whether you have it. My own was diagnosed via a biopsy of one of my thyroid nodules. Your reaction to the iodine suggests you may have Hashi's.

Your TSH indicates that you are clearly hypothyroid--it's a Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)--and it measures how hard your pituitary has to work to get your thyroid to produce adequate hormones for you. You pituitary is working overtime, and unless you begin taking Rx thyroid hormones, you risk burning out both thyroid AND pituitary.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Iodine is fine at most any dosage for nine out of ten people. But for those with ANY kind of autoimmune thyroid issues, I'd consult with an endo who KNOWS about thyroid issues, especially autoimmunity, before even MESSING with iodine for the aboive stated reasons.

Though, if you DO try this, make SURE you keep your iodine intake properly balanced with selenium, since selenium will help balance out any negative thyroid reactions to the iodine.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Get another doctor! Telling you to take iodine indicates the doctor doesn't know much about thyroid. If you have Hashimoto's (7 of 10 hypothyroid in this country is Hashi's) iodine makes it WORSE! Hashi's is also notoriously false negative on blood tests, so it's difficult to determine sometimes whether you have it. My own was diagnosed via a biopsy of one of my thyroid nodules. Your reaction to the iodine suggests you may have Hashi's.

Your TSH indicates that you are clearly hypothyroid--it's a Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)--and it measures how hard your pituitary has to work to get your thyroid to produce adequate hormones for you. You pituitary is working overtime, and unless you begin taking Rx thyroid hormones, you risk burning out both thyroid AND pituitary.
    I second the suggestion to have thyroid antibodies tested.

I have a great Integrative Doctor who has just put me onto NCA - N-Acetyl Cysteine - 1000 mcg per day, and selenium - twice a day (can't remember the dose for that at the moment though).

You can buy NCA online - I bought it from my chemist (pharmacy) but they had to order it in, and wanted me to see their Naturopath first. I showed them my prescriptions from my DR and said I have already seen one.

My Dr also said I have to be strictly gluten free AND dairy free. I was obviously gluten free (but I'm much stricter), but I was not dairy free.

In 6 weeks I have to go for another full thyroid panel to see if my antibodies are reduced.

Hashimotos is an auto-immune disease - you have to stop your body killing off your thyroid. NCA sounds to me like something I was missing from my hashimotos regime - take a look at this article. All sorts of uses - fighting cancer, detoxing liver, MS, any auto immune issue.

N-Acetyl Cysteine: The Overlooked Compound That Saves Lives
    https://suite.io/sarah-tomley/3ypj206
    Autoimmune Thyroiditis or Hashimotos Syndrome | Articles on My Passion 4 Health

Willow16 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    I have a great Integrative Doctor who has just put me onto NCA - N-Acetyl Cysteine - 1000 mcg per day, and selenium - twice a day (can't remember the dose for that at the moment though).
    I think you mean NAC.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    I think you mean NAC.
    yep....damn dyslexia strikes again..

maile1 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    A couple months ago I had a basic blood panel done.

More or less ok other than a bit high LDL, and what looked like way high TSH. Over 6. After I got done freaking out about it, consulted with a couple of doctors who all echoed the standard you-need-medication-for-the-rest-of-your-life-your-genes-suck story.

Which ... looking at my face, one might agree with the genes-suck bit.

Did a lot of encouraging reading online, and finally got around to doing a full Thyroid workup. Number below (not including rT3 since that wasn't available as an option):

T3 78
    fT3 2.83
    T4 5.67
    fT4 1.05
    TSH 6.76

Plenty of free T3 there, and everything else looks about in range, yea?

Any thoughts, leads, directions on how to deal with this mountain of TSH in my blood? As for diet, no wheat, very few simple carbs (occasional rice, living in Asia it's not always easy to dodge), as little sugar as possible (lots of time in Thailand, not easy to be totally sugar free). Plenty of vegetables, fish. Otherwise quite varied, lots of travel and different local cuisines.

Side note - last test was after six months in Europe, and a bit different diet. This one after three months in Asia - always sticking with the local ways of eating, minus bread and noodles and things with sugar.

LDL is also high at 171, tryglicerides 107, and HDL 49 (total 254). Some of the reading suggested that bringing TSH under control might fix the cholesterol bits as well.

Healthy, physically active otherwise, 72kg at 180cm, not fat, not out of shape, no drinking, no drugs, no stress.

Much appreciating any thoughts here. Been looking at Ailments and Natural Cures - some interesting things there on TSH control, Apple Cider Vinegar and the like. Managed to find some of that here to try. Hopefully some of you more experienced in this arena have already experimented and have some thoughts.

Many thanks!
    You still haven't provided the reference ranges for your tests but having seen quite a few thyroid tests I would suggest you don't actually have much ft3 at all. Functional medicine suggests ft3 be at least 75% in the range, given that most US labs top out the ft3 range at 4 +/- a few % your result seems low.
    Once you are medicated tsh is useless but pre supplement any tsh over 2 is problematic and yes it likely correlates to your higher CH numbers
    If you don't know of a good thyroid doc call a compounding pharmacy and ask who is rx' ing armour or compounded thyroid then call that office to see if you can get in. Be prepared to pay out of pocket and to travel to see a good doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast