Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuts and Seeds: HELP page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

Nuts and Seeds: HELP

Primal Fuel
    Alright. My body composition isn't where I want it to be. I AM PRIMAL. And yet, I'm completely stuck... and have been for years. Come on! I don't eat grains, I don't eat sugars, I take fish oil and multivitamins-- I'm doing everything right! Well, almost. The only thing I have left is a complete, unwavering, utter addiction, to nuts. And seeds. And nut-butters.

I work in a store with a glorious, magnificent bulk section. Imagine, your favorite addiction, laid before you by the dozens of pounds. Endless bins of macadamia nuts, pistachios, raw deluxe mixes, raw cashews, dry-roasted unsalted cashews, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, glorious soft local pecans, and of course, the end-all--- fresh ground almond butter. On work days, I imagine I eat two or three cups of nuts.

I'm tired of feeling guilty after a few handfuls. I'm tired of going home from work with a stomachache.
    I'm tired of knowing that I'm gorging like a fool, and yet-- I cannot stop. The 'Just a bit' thing does not work for me. I'm eating nut-butters with spoons at night! I have succeeded, ONCE, in refraining from nuts for a complete day, and I felt magnificently in control.

So, I'm putting this out there. Maybe that will pressure me. I'm not going to eat nuts-- I'm going to try for one month, see how I feel, see how I look. I have GOT to stop! After that, maybe they'll find a reasonable place in my diet, and I will welcome them-- but right now, I have to get this in check.

No more. One month.

-写

P.S. Except coconuts.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a "gateway nut"?

If I eat cashews, I'm done for with any nut within snacking distance! Otherwise, I am relatively indifferent.

Perhaps you don't need to give up ALL nuts?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Damn right, ain't nobody better be dissin' coconuts.

Lots of oily fish will help greatly too.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Good luck! And, yes, enjoy all the coconut you want! Keep us updated on your progress. I am sure it will help!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    I have just started a 'no nut' month as well. It's HARD, they are so delectable!
    Unfortunately I have replaced my nut obsession with creamed coconut, so I'm still screwing myself over.

But we can dooooo eeeet!!! I hope...
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pessimist View Post
    I have just started a 'no nut' month as well. It's HARD, they are so delectable!
    Unfortunately I have replaced my nut obsession with creamed coconut, so I'm still screwing myself over.

But we can dooooo eeeet!!! I hope...
    Creamed coconut is perfectly fine. Virtually not PUFA's and more than half of it is MCT's which cannot be stored as fats.

Now as for nuts/seeds, get rid of them ASAP!!! IMO they are in the same category as grains.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    IMO they are in the same category as grains.
    That is absurd. They may not fit into this bizzare world of ratios and numbers that we have constructed for ourselves, but they are as natural a form of sustenance as any. We easily overeat them, as we live in times of abundance. However, you can bet they were a precious source of calories for our ancestors when hunting was scarce and we can't forget that. They are important. Food is more than numbers, it is also history, and soul.

-写

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are good primal food. They are one of the few very portable, no fuss, snack sized primal foods. That may be their greatest sin.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Since when did Primal mean Meat and Spinach? Grrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Cristy is offline Junior Member
    right there with ya. i ate a whole jar of almond butter last night! wish i could just eat a tbsp or 2!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast