Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuts and Seeds: HELP page 2

ikaika is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristy View Post
    right there with ya. i ate a whole jar of almond butter last night! wish i could just eat a tbsp or 2!
    Sad thing is, when I lost like 65 lbs conventionally, about two years ago, I had exquisite willpower-- I was using 1/2 TB and I could stop myself there. Of course, thats when I started tracking my food, which opened up a whole new can of OCD...

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member
    Nuts and seeds are supposed to be an occasional snack, and I think that's where ikaika's problem lies. There's just too much of an omega-6 presence in many nuts which will throw the whole O3:O6 ratio out of whack.

The ONLY nuts I eat are macadamia nuts. Easy to digest, very nice monounsaturated fat content, and I believe a 1:1 ratio of O3:O6. Almonds are particularly bad because if I'm not mistaken, contain nearly no omega-3 and plenty of omega-6.

arewolfe is offline Junior Member
    Man, if you can cut out sugar you can cut out nuts. No question. You can do it.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Nuts and seeds are supposed to be an occasional snack, and I think that's where ikaika's problem lies. There's just too much of an omega-6 presence in many nuts which will throw the whole O3:O6 ratio out of whack.

The ONLY nuts I eat are macadamia nuts. Easy to digest, very nice monounsaturated fat content, and I believe a 1:1 ratio of O3:O6. Almonds are particularly bad because if I'm not mistaken, contain nearly no omega-3 and plenty of omega-6.
    +1

Ikaika,
    I got a little too "involved" with nut butters myself....they sort of became like ice cream to me....especially cashew butter. I knew that paleolithic man did not have access to tubs of nut butter everynight!!!! I cut out all nuts except my favorite (cashews) and the macadamias (because of the nearly non-existant PUFAs) I now do macadamias only on the weekends, and cashews every other weekend. I've banished the nut butters, as I suspect that was what was keeping me from leaning out. Since doing this I've sort of re-booted my fat burners. The first days are hard, but just get through it! you can do it! Trust me, its worth it, and it will make you enjoy the times that you do eat nuts in the future (instead of by the cupful daily.......ouch!)

ikaika is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    Man, if you can cut out sugar you can cut out nuts. No question. You can do it.
    Thank you! Everyone, thank you... this is exactly the sort of encouragement I needed. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a 'problem...' and I'm particularly glad to hear about your success, lmyers! That's why we're on a forum, yeah? Its nice.

And I've been thinking about the 'gateway' nut (which cracked me up) and I can honestly say I'm not sure. My favorite mix is raw and roasted cashews, macadamia nuts, raw pistachios, raw cacao nibs, raw and toasted almonds, and some raw pumpkin seed with a bit of unsweetened coconut. So, I kept getting into the nasty habit of putting 'one of each' in my palm and popping it back. Decadence!

I do love macadamias, though...

On an unrelated, non-addicted, happy note-- some of my favorite memories are of shuffling down the street with my brother on Big Island, plucking up fallen mac nuts and bringing a pocketful back to Uncle's house to crack open with a hammer and a towel. Good times.

-写

P.S. Thanks, seriously, you guys rock.

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    Thank you! Everyone, thank you... this is exactly the sort of encouragement I needed.
    Oh, well if that's all you needed. DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT.. YOU *MUST*. YOUR LIFE IS AT STAKE!! I feel like I overdid that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    I do love macadamias, though...
    And they love you. Seriously, I don't see any harm in a handful of macadamias, even daily. 1:1 O3:O6 ratio, and nothing but monounsaturated fat. Good stuff.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Guys, I can't seem to find any info that the O6:O3 content of macadamias are 1:1, or even remotely near 1:1. It's more like 6:1.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/n...roducts/3123/2
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...acadamia-nuts/

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    Guys, I can't seem to find any info that the O6:O3 content of macadamias are 1:1, or even remotely near 1:1. It's more like 6:1.

i see very little PUFAs in the attachment.....

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I find (as have others on the forum) that buying nuts in the shell drastically reduces the urge to splurge. I can imagine this would be especially true of macadmias since they are... a tough nut to crack, hahaha. Sorry. But seriously, having to shell the nuts slows you down and will probably discourage you from eating inappropriate amounts. Although I fully advocate giving them up totally for a time. I think if you can go a month or more nut free, that after that you can safely add some back in moderate amounts. Cold turkey or gradual decrease, whatever works for you!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post

You need to change the serving size... one should not eat more than 1-2 ounces of nuts in a day. One ounce of macadamia nuts only has .36 grams of Omega 6's which is extremely low - the lowest out of any nut. Nuts need to be treated as a snack.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast