Thread: Australian Supermarkets' meat quality page

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member

Question Australian Supermarkets' meat quality

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone in Australia have any idea whether Coles & Woolies meat is CAFO? I have tried to research it and came up with lots of vague and conflicting info. Just arguments about grain-fed vs grain finished

I know there are the Amelia Park and Springbrook Valley brands of free-range / organic meats, but I usually can't afford that stuff.
    $18 for a steak is a bit steep.

I generally just buy the mid-range stuff. I did have a local fantatsic pasture raised butcher but they close down, and were replaced with a horrible 'everything marinated in sticky sauce' meat seller
    Last edited by Badgerfaced; 07-24-2014 at 07:29 PM.

steven.kelly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerfaced View Post
    Does anyone in Australia have any idea whether Coles & Woolies meat is CAFO? I have tried to research it and came up with lots of vague and conflicting info. Just arguments about grain-fed vs grain finished

I know there are the Amelia Park and Springbrook Valley brands of free-range / organic meats, but I usually can't afford that stuff.
    $18 for a steak is a bit steep.

I generally just buy the mid-range stuff. I did have a local fantatsic pasture raised butcher but they close down, and were replaced with a horrible 'everything marinated in sticky sauce' meat seller
    Hi mate!

I actually emailed coles about their meat and they said it was grain finished.

They are starting to stock more and more grass fed so I stick to those even though it costs more.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

mystic is offline Senior Member
    Cows are naturally raised on grass here, but usually "finished on grain" to give them the best condition prior to sale. This seems to be around 6 weeks which isn't a huge amount. Lamb is naturally grass fed.

JungleJazz is offline Member
    Australia only has a few feed lots, so the majority of our meat is of pretty high quality.

Coles is especially pushing their food fresh quality credentials at the moment.. But take it with a grain of salt - remember their 'baked fresh in store' bread that was actually baked 6 months ago in Ireland? Yeah. They are ass hats.

Try & find a different local butcher (or just ask the marinated meat guy where it came from & if you can have some before the sauceing). Also, depends on where you are but in the south east there is plenty of quality meat to be had online at reasonable prices.

I'm in a regional area, but it's a beef & dairy farming area.. So as long as I want cow, it's pretty easy. And cheep.

Keep looking, you'll find something.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a problem with grain finishing at all, especially with beef and lamb. The fatty acid profile barely changes, and the CLA content and omega 3 issue...has anyone seen the values in grassfed and finished beef? Yes there is "3 times more" but the values are barely significant.

What concerns me is antibiotics, hormones and the like. Grassfed and grass finished is definitely best and has the best "gamey" flavor for sure, but for the cost, you are getting very little back nutritionally. The biggest concern is eliminating the antibiotics and hormones.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.