Thread: Enzyme Recommendations page

nissenpa is offline Junior Member

Enzyme Recommendations

Looking for a good all purpose digestive enzyme for DH and I to take. We currently take probiotics, cod liver oil, and vitamin D every morning. Any recommendations?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'm hunting for rec's for this and probiotics, so this'll be interesting to see.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

nissenpa is offline Junior Member
    I use Country Life Acidophilous and have been happy with it.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I am personally loving the Primal Essentials Kit that Mark just came out with. Omega 3 Fish Oil, Probiotics and Vitamin D. It is the only supplements I take at the moment. I will try his multivitamin in the near future.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Here are a couple of older MDA threads on these topics; each contains numerous recommendations:

Enzymes
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...p?9514-Enzymes

Probiotics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...733-Probiotics
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 07-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.

free3337 is offline Member
    questions:
    1) is mixing different enzyme brands a good idea?
    2) will taking enzymes with probiotic/fermented food destroy the desirable bacteria to an important degree?
    3) is that DPP IV / gluten enzyme stuff, with the intent of degrading gluten, reasonably effective (worth purchasing)?

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    >> 1) is mixing different enzyme brands a good idea?
    This shouldn't be a problem... most of the brands contain similar enzyme profiles. I personally switch between ~5 different products/brands, depending on a variety of factors. For me, Now's Super Enzymes seem to be the most potent, and I take them with meals and large amounts of supplements; in contrast, Now's Plant Enzymes are the least potent; I use them when eating a snack.

>> 2) will taking enzymes with probiotic/fermented food destroy the desirable bacteria to an important degree?
    This is a good question. I don't know that there's a single correct answer to this. Many probiotic products instruct you to take them between meals/on an empty stomach; enzymes are generally taken *with* meals. So, if you can space your intakes out so that you take the probiotics away from food & enzymes, you should be fine.

On the other hand, some probiotics instruct you to take them *with* food. I personally have never heard of enzymes posing a problem for the functioning of probiotics.

Not sure about the answer to your third question.