Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: omega 3 helps me sleep but could it be bad for me? page

joeyd is offline Member

omega 3 helps me sleep but could it be bad for me?

Shop Now
    Some highly regarded nutrition experts like Ray peat say that omega 3 fats are as bad as omega 6 fats for us.

I've had very bad sleep recently but I've noticed when I have my now foods omega 3 capsules it helps me fall asleep and stay asleep for longer. Could taking omega 3 long term be detrimental to my health?

I know a lot of people on this forum also regard omega 3 fats as very non-essential, but others regard it as really important to good health.

Ray peat also says we should avoid oily fish like mackerel and salmon which I find completely insane! I've changed my mind over many things over the years but saying fish like mackerel and salmon are bad for us is nonsense I think.

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    I just ask myself "How likely is it that humans had access to this kind of food" when looking at these kind of things.
    So having these types of fish on a regular basis already sounds unlikely. Needing it in a concentrated form seems even less likely.

Whether or not it's actually harmful idk, but I pretty much steer clear of supplements or drugs with dubious magical properties.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Fuck Ray Peat.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Ray peat also says we should avoid oily fish like mackerel and salmon which I find completely insane! I've changed my mind over many things over the years but saying fish like mackerel and salmon are bad for us is nonsense I think.
    In agreement there. I eat high omega 3 salmon, sardines and oysters several times a week. If I had the money I would eat sashimi every day.

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    I would highly recommend against eating omega-3 fatty acids. If they're helping you, it's probably because they're reducing inflammation. But you could get the same effect by simply eating less omega-6 fatty acids. Meanwhile, all polyunsaturated fats break down into harmful chemicals like acrolein.
    I just ask myself "How likely is it that humans had access to this kind of food" when looking at these kind of things.
    I don't agree with this line of thought. Poison ivy is available to humans but it's not healthy. Availability does not imply health. Sometimes people say something like "People have eaten fatty fish for years and they have been healthy so therefore fatty fish is healthy." This is not really a valid deduction. They might have been even healthier had they not eaten fatty fish, but since epidemiology is not a controlled experiment, we'll never know.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    I would highly recommend against eating omega-3 fatty acids. If they're helping you, it's probably because they're reducing inflammation. But you could get the same effect by simply eating less omega-6 fatty acids. Meanwhile, all polyunsaturated fats break down into harmful chemicals like acrolein.

I don't agree with this line of thought. Poison ivy is available to humans but it's not healthy. Availability does not imply health. Sometimes people say something like "People have eaten fatty fish for years and they have been healthy so therefore fatty fish is healthy." This is not really a valid deduction. They might have been even healthier had they not eaten fatty fish, but since epidemiology is not a controlled experiment, we'll never know.
    Some omega 3's are needed in the diet though, the same could be said for omega 6's. How do you feel about a 4:1 ratio of 3 to 6.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $9.99.

Also, I have a fundraiser for my new book Fix Your Mitochondria: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...ergy/x/3599154. Please donate if you can.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    Some omega 3's are needed in the diet though, the same could be said for omega 6's. How do you feel about a 4:1 ratio of 3 to 6.
    No. Polyunsaturated fats are not essential and the supposed evidence proving so is very flawed. Here is a study from 1912 demonstrating that fat is not essential, well before the supposed "essential fatty acids" were discovered:
    http://www.jbc.org/content/12/1/81.full.pdf
    And here's a study from 1940, after the supposed discovery of "essential fatty acids," which explicitly demonstrated that "essential fatty acid deficiency" could be cured without fat:
    http://www.jbc.org/content/132/2/539.full.pdf

Polyunsaturated fats can cure certain symptoms on certain diets, but this does not imply that they are the only things that can cure those symptoms, nor does it imply that such symptoms will appear on every diet devoid of polyunsaturated fat.

onegreenguy is offline Junior Member
    I think as a dietary supplement, Omega 3 acids (in fish) are safe as long as you do not exceed three grams of daily intake. But you need to know your current health condition too. From what I’ve read, Omega 3 causes some complication when taken in high doses, like if you are diabetic, it can affect your blood sugar level. It may worsen your condition if you are asthmatic, if you have irregular heart rhythms, liver disease and some other health conditions. Stay safe.

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Huh I was implying that since fatty fish wasn't available to most people on a regular basis and it's the only source of those fatty aids it can hardly be as essential as some people claim it to be.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused? Eating salmon and other fish isn't 'healthy'? Where did this come from suddenly?

I think this board is becoming nutso.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast