Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Babies and Kids page

Maurabela is offline Member

Paleo Babies and Kids

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone!

I have a 16 month old daughter and a son due in December. We've raised our daughter Paleo from the beginning. She was breastfed until 14 months and has only ever eaten meats, eggs, vegetables, and a little fruit. Never refined sugar, never grains, no dairy, rarely sweet potatoes. She loves any food we put in front of her and has never refused to eat anything. She is also being raised barefoot. She only ever wears shoes (and minimalist barefoot shoes at that) when we're out at a store or restaurant. We are very happy with the way she is responding to this lifestyle. The trouble is, my husband and I feel a bit alone at times. We get questioned constantly, and not the "oh, I want to learn more that sounds so interesting!" questioning. More like "what is it really going to hurt her to have a french fry?" or "what do you mean you didn't give her cake for her birthday?" or "she's just going to go crazy on sugar and carbs when she's older", blah blah blah.

Anyone else raising their babies and kids Paleo? I'm looking for friends who understand how it is to raise children this way in modern society.

Jenster7 is offline Member
    I applaud you and wish I could do the same with my kids but at 9 and 6 and used to a fairly healthy but fairly standard diet it's probably a bit late for them. They eat fresh whole foods most of the time (I am high carb primal so they get plenty of potatoes, rice and fruit) but I struggle with the constant temptations of biscuits, cakes, ice cream etc.. Only today there was a mad hatters tea party at my daughters school and while I didn't touch it myself, I don't feel able to deny my daughter cake when all her friends are having it. I talk to them about the importance of nourishing their bodies with good foods and I can only hope as they get older this along with my example will encourage them to stick with whole foods and avoid the junk.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i am child-free by choice, but there are plenty of blogs and websites on-line about paleo/primal families.

keep up the great work, but the kids don't need to be lc, either. fruits and tubers are fine.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    You're doing a great job!
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

eac26 is offline Junior Member
    I sure am! Hubby and I have an 8 year old who has been paleo for most of her life. Before The Switch, we ate pretty (CW) healthy, so she was never exposed to junk food, fast food or boxed meals and we were all about full-fat foods for the kiddo. We had to go pretty strict right off the bat with her because she had massive food intolerances that manifested through allergies: constant runny nose, blood shot eyes, inability to lay flat to sleep and serious attitude problems. Now that we have everything pretty down pat, there are certain allowances we make when we go out to eat - but then again, it's never fast food and she's never eaten off the kids' menu. At certain things like slumber parties, she brings most of her food, but will snack on popcorn and ice cream. The next day she's a PAIN, but as long as we lay out expectations ahead of time, she's at the age where it's time for her to start making her own decisions. Most of the time they're good decisions!

No, your kid won't die from a french fry, but you are developing a great palate for later! Get them used to crap food and the real stuff will be rejected. Right now, it's totally your decision what goes in to your kid's mouth. FWIW, not a single person in our group of friends makes an effort to feed their kids healthy (of any variety). Accept the freak label and know you're setting up your kid for future success.

Jenster7 is offline Member
    Well said eac26! I am shocked by the way most of my friends and school mums feed their kids, even by cw standards. I have been giving it a lot of thought, especially the issue of kids being exposed to junk as they get older and I have to agree with you that if you set the standard at home from an early age they will hopefully get the taste for good whole food and will realise what a poor substitute the junk is when they occasionally eat it. There is however a danger of being overly strict and thereby pushing them the other way. I think as they get older you have to let them experiment for themselves a bit. Above all you don't want them to develop food obsessions or disorders so it's best to be fairly relaxed about it.

libbyonthelabel is offline Junior Member
    As non-kid kind of person, I'll admit I kind of roll my eyes at my friends' ideals about raising their kids "naturally." BUT - I recently watched a woman feeding her two-year-old son iceburg lettuce smothered in ranch dressing, frozen chicken nuggets, and root beer in a sippy cup. She saw me watching and said, "I'm so glad my son likes to eat vegetables!" I guarantee you your child will have better health than that poor kid. Keep doing what you're doing.

I would second the caution on being too restrictive though - several of my friends' kids are teenagers now, and about half of them eat fast food every chance they can get. I wasn't raised restricted, just raised on a farm, and McDonald's has never compared in taste to the grassfed beef I grew up on!

Heliotrope is offline Member
    I am not so fortunate as to have children, but I love to observe people. On a recent trip to Disney, I was absolutely floored by how badly children are being fed. I saw lots of kids eating Froot Loops out of the little box. I saw only one kid in the park eating a piece of fruit--an apple. (They sell, like, two kinds of fresh fruit, waxed Delicious apples and--I forget the second--maybe bananas or oranges.) Please keep up your good work.

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    My kids are 6 and 8 and I feed them a mostly primal diet. I'm not super strict about it though. At home they have to eat what I cook and that is primal only - but I do make primal treats for them - I just make sure to stick with honey and maple syrup as sweeteners. Unfortunately my kids are not always under my care 100% of the time. They go to summer camp, spend the nights with friends, go to school and other people's houses and I have no control over what they eat at those places. When they were little it was incredibly easy keeping them 100% primal - now that they are older, not so much.

Please keep in mind too, that kids are very different than adults - they NEED a lot more carbs than adults. They expend far more energy than adults do and have very different metabolisms. Their bodies are growing and gaining weight is desirable. Limiting fruit is not the best idea with kids. Things like white rice and potatoes are also perfectly primal and important food sources for growing kids - heck, I even let my kids have gluten free oats from time to time. Meat and veg are still the most important foods for nutrients, but they should be served with some type of primal carb.
    Last edited by Mamame; 07-25-2014 at 11:52 AM.

eac26 is offline Junior Member
    I completely agree that kiddos need more carbs! Both she and my incredibly-superfast-metabolically-gifted husband eat a few servings of soaked steel cut oats, rice, beans and/or potatoes (cooked, cooled and reheated, of course!) a day. My system can't handle the gluten free grains or potatoes due to autoimmune issues, but adding those to their diets has made an marked difference in their satiety levels and "normalization" of certain meals. Kiddo and I also make a paleofied "treat" of her choice (fruit leather, cookies, brownies, etc.) once a week to take with her packed lunches so she's not left eyeing her peers' lunches with envy. About 99% of the time, hers always looks better than whatever they happen to be unwrapping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast