Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 YEAR wait for a surgery consult? page

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member

4 YEAR wait for a surgery consult?

Shop Now
    After three pregnancies and nursing each baby for a year, my breasts have become enormous. No, they did not shrink after weaning each kid. Genetics are not in my favor, as I take after my dad's side of the family in that way, and all of his 85yr old aunties has giant boobs that sag to their bellies. That could be my future. No thank.

So, I asked my doctor for a referral for a reduction back in April. Hadn't heard back from the surgeon, so today I phoned to make sure they had my request. Yes they do, but it's a four year wait to get a consult, and then who knows how long to get the surgery. Probably another four years! I know this surgeon has the best reputation, but wow! My doctor thought it would be about 6 months to get a consult, and then another 18mos before the surgery.

I guess I have four years or more to get into good shape. However, enormous breasts are my genetic curse, so this surgery may very well proceed even if the rest of me is slim. It's really hard to exercise with them bouncing all over the place.

Anyone out there that was or is going to do a reduction?
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Hey girl! I'm not going to reduce but I am going to get a lift in a year or so. I now live in Southern California so I imagine when it's time I'll easily be able to find a doctor. I can just walk up to just about any woman in the streets and ask her the name of her doctor!! LOL!

Seriously though, why not look for a consultation with a doctor in a neighboring state? You can go through the board of plastic surgeon or something like that online. If you have to travel a couple hours for a good doctor that can possibly see you sooner, why not? Of course you have to do all sorts of due diligence to vet your doctor but 4 YEARS? No thank you!! This type of surgery is darn near routine at this point. What state do you live in?

Yes, being heavy-chested is a pain in a lot of ways. My girls are pretty substantial but I'm ok with the size as long as they get lifted a bit. Two pregnancies and nursing two kids? Yep, that did it for me. Little rats! ;-) Keep me posted, I like this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    4 YEAR wait? Is this in the US and/or is it some HMO plan? I'm a doc and have heard through various surgeons that among the happiest patients a plastic surgeon sees are breast reduction patients. There is something weird about this picture. Do the breasts cause back pain, neck strain, any other pains? Mention that to your primary. Symptoms help to move things along faster; if they perceive it's vanity they will understandably feel less pressured. If you are in another country with a socialized system maybe this is normal; I just don't know.

Doc Jim
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member

4 YEAR wait for a surgery consult?

I'm in Canada, where for me, this surgery would be considered medically necessary, so it's free. Yes, back pain, permanent indents from bra straps, neck pain etc. My primary doctor knows all this.

I don't think I can go to a different province, but I could ask.

I'm going to ask my doctor if she can refer me to someone else who might have a shorter waiting list.
    Last edited by blondiegreen; 07-22-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    FREE?!? You lucky duck! ;-) I'm gonna have to sell one of my kids to afford my lift. 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blondiegreen View Post
    I'm in Canada, where for me, this surgery would be considered medically necessary, so it's free. Yes, back pain, permanent indents from bra straps, neck pain etc. My primary doctor knows all this.

I'm going to ask my doctor if she can refer me to someone else who might have a shorter waiting list.
    Likely the only way to be seen faster is to go to a private surgeon and you'll then be paying out of pocket. In my experience, private surgeons are also more skilled in the specifics of the surgeries and you'll get a better result. I had a medically necessary panniculectomy done by a general surgeon on referral from my GP and have also had upper arm skin removed by a private surgeon and the difference in quality is ridiculous - my midsection is a complete disaster.
    You won't be covered for the surgery in another province unless there are no surgeons in SK who can do the procedure you've been referred for, to my knowledge.
    It's worth it to ask if there is another surgeon you an be referred to, but do some homework - check ratemds.com for reviews, etc, make calls to surgeons offices to ask questions and have someone specific in mind before going to your doc.
    Ultimately, if it were me, medically necessary or not I'd be ponying up for a private surgeon.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to be so ignorant, but could you all tell me how the Canadian health system works?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Can you come get it done in the US? You could probably get it done next week. I know a lady who's insurance covered hers for back pain.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by blondiegreen View Post

Ah, Canada. 4 years sounds about right. *headdesk*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast