Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Adventures page

tersie is offline Junior Member

Primal Adventures

Primal Fuel
    I started the 21 day challenge yesterday. I had read up all weekend and stocked up on my primal food supplies. I was so excited to get started. I can't say that I've EVER been excited about a lifestyle change. My challenge in the 21 day challenge book for yesterday was to rid my kitchen of SAD foods and replace them with primal foods. To be honest, I will miss my chick peas the most. I couldn't imagine a salad without them! But I got some sunflower seeds to replace them, hoping that might do the trick.

That brings me to the food!! What a delicious day of fresh and fantastic flavors!! I never knew eggs could taste so good. All I've ever had were the typical factory farmed eggs from very mistreated chickens. What a difference roaming chickens can make! And the grain fed beef. It practically melted under the knife. My husband has absolutely no complaints with my meal plans with this new way of eating. He was in seventh heaven with his dinner. And with all the great recipes and meal ideas out there, I know the only way I can get bored with the food is through a complete lack of adventure or creativity.

My exercise challenge was simple - explore ways to fit more movement into my day. I took a walk around town at lunch and I paid attention to when my thoughts started to wander at work. I took that as a sign to get up and move around a bit. So I had several more little activity breaks throughout the day than usual.

Overall, I'm counting Day One in my Primal Adventure a total and complete success!!

Can't wait to see what Day Two holds for me!

funderful is offline Member
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with your adventures!

paparazzi is offline Member
    Good luck!

By the way- I'm really proud of you for cleaning out your pantry! When I started my 21-day challenge, I spent two days cleaning out EVERYTHING packaged/processed foods etc. I packed up 5boxes and donated them all.

Really, it wasn't some "hard core" move, for me, it was because I know how addicted I am to sugar etc. So, I also knew that if that stuff stayed in my house, I would eventually cave here and there. One bite here, two bites there, three, four, five and down the rabbit hole! Been there, done that. To be fair, I needed to get rid of it all.

Today is day 40! And, still going strong. I've lost 6.7lbs and I have not redone my measurements yet, I do that on Aug.3. BUT- I am feeling so much better and I have started seeing my biceps and triceps. I've also noticed that my legs are stronger. No- I'm not doing any major lifting etc. I'm 100lbs overweight with physical disabilities but I have been doing more walking, and, lifting up to 5lb dumbbells as well as I have started do HIIT at MY LEVEL/ABILITY, every four or five days right now. It's working.

Grok on!
    Last edited by paparazzi; 07-26-2014 at 09:50 AM.

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo
    H/5'3
    Start W/240
    21 day challenge began 6/17/14
    Weight after first 21days-235.7
    Sept. 2, 2014-
    13.2+a few inches lost

Hadoop is offline Member
    Welcome. I started the 21 Day Challenge just last Monday. It's great experience, isn't it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Hadoop View Post
    Welcome. I started the 21 Day Challenge just last Monday. It's great experience, isn't it?!

It is amazing!! I'm on Day 6 now and can't remember ever feeling this well. My challenge for today is to eat whatever I want, even old food loves, and see how it makes me feel. I have a feeling about that already and I don't want to do that!! I have learned so much in one short week and can't wait to learn more!

Day 7 - I feel wonderful!! I'll weigh in tomorrow to see what the scale says about the week, but that's secondary to how I'm feeling. My cravings are practically gone, my aches and pains are lessening noticeably, my energy is up ... and I'm having fun with all of the changes I've been making in my lifestyle.

One small gripe - why is it that I don't tell others what they should or shouldn't be eating, but they feel they have the right to do it to me? Case in point - I work with a gal who is skinny as a rail, active, full of energy. She brought in leftover turkey meatloaf for lunch one day. She told everyone in the room what was in it - margarine was one of the ingredients. I said nothing and thought why would she do that to herself when butter tastes so much better and is better for her? And why use dry turkey breast when she could get so much more flavor from grain fed beef? Right? Not a word. A few days later she was going on about something amazing she was eating and I let it slip that I'm cutting out unnecessary carbs. "WHAT????" she exclaimed, like I just admitted to sneaking a fifth of whisky for my lunch. "You NEED your carbs!! You CAN'T do that!!" I just shrugged and let it slide. The proof's in how well I'm feeling, how happy my doctor will be with my bloodwork when I go back in a couple of months.

Bottom line, after just one week, I'm feeling so much better. My husband hasn't been eating totally primal, but he's been thoroughly enjoying the meals I've been preparing and he's feeling much better lately too. It's all good!

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    welcome Tersie, it's great to hear your excitement. Very well done on your first week and I love that your dh is enjoying it too, that makes it much easier for you to stick to. Of course, what's not to like? Here's to another great primal week and continually improving health. Way to go

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzi View Post
    Good luck!

By the way- I'm really proud of you for cleaning out your pantry! When I started my 21-day challenge, I spent two days cleaning out EVERYTHING packaged/processed foods etc. I packed up 5boxes and donated them all.

Really, it wasn't some "hard core" move, for me, it was because I know how addicted I am to sugar etc. So, I also knew that if that stuff stayed in my house, I would eventually cave here and there. One bite here, two bites there, three, four, five and down the rabbit hole! Been there, done that. To be fair, I needed to get rid of it all.
    I took a while to get to this point. I tried a "clean eating" challenge a couple of months ago that was very close to primal, but still permitted whole grains, legumes, etc. As a result, I didn't cut back on the carbs quite enough and I found myself in a very sad place just a week and a half into the challenge. I couldn't stop night binging on any and every carb I could get my hands on! I felt like a complete failure. After reading up on paleo, and reading through MDA I decided this was going to be my one last chance at a healthy balanced life. I read some of the testimonials and cried. "This HAS to work," was all that I could think. And I'm so glad I gave it a chance.

With all of that said, I didn't have much to clean out of my pantry. It had already been tossed or shamefully devoured! But I'm already feeling like a stronger person on so many levels. I'm hoping to amp up the exercise just a bit this week. I need to start a little strength training!

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Close to two weeks through now, and I have noticed so many positive changes - some of which I never expected!

First unexpected change - my hair! It feels and looks so much healthier and stronger. It makes sense. They tell us to give our dogs lots of healthy fats and proteins for healthier coats. But they tell us to restrict the very same fats and proteins. Silly that I didn't make that connection with my hair. At any rate, I'm loving it!

Second unexpected change - I knew weight loss was going to happen (and was very much looking forward to it). People around me haven't really noticed the weight loss yet. But they're definitely noticing something is different. A gal at work yesterday told me that I had a glow. She couldn't put her finger on what was different - but she liked it. So unexpected change number two - taking the primal challenge has made me glow! Again, I'm loving it!

Now for the expected changes - I am finally noticing all the extra energy that I have!! It's amazing! I love taking my walks. I have a spring in my step as I take breaks at work to get out of my chair!

I'm happier. I just feel better all around. All of that sugar and processed - yuck - was bringing me down!

At last count, I've lost 11 pounds. I have much, much more to lose. I'm not in a hurry. It will happen. I'm enjoying the process, which is a sign that I'm in this for the long haul. Never have I embraced a lifestyle change quite as much as I've embraced this one. It's more than a diet and exercise program. It's a whole new way of thinking about how I approach life! I'm one happy girl right now.

PhoxInSox is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like your body has made a nice switch on the chemical level already! AWESOME!

I am pantry cleaning this evening actually... and Monday starts the family "challenge". Luckily the pantry chore should only take me a few minutes as I have already been grain free for a bit now. I just need to go through processed condiments and things in the fridge I believe... I am going to box everything up for the neighbour! haha That feels evil but after listening to them spend hours and hours doing yard work with loud machines in the very early AM on my only true day off... well. .MOUAHHAHAHAHH ??
    There is an infinite, thrumming, unseen web that joins everything. Everything is connected to everything else… this fact is nearly impossible for us to grasp because we are just mollusks, shut up tight at the bottom of a dark, cold ocean, trying to make sense of stars we cannot even see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast