Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Macronutrients balance labyrinth page 2

bazzz is online now Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    So if you can't accurately measure calories in OR calories out, my conclusion is that I'm not going to spend any time worrying about a theoretically appealing but useless in practice equation!
    Good post. I think the most useful thing is to try to have an awareness of which foods are the most calorific and the effect they have on blood glucose, insulin and satiety.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    So if you can't accurately measure calories in OR calories out, my conclusion is that I'm not going to spend any time worrying about a theoretically appealing but useless in practice equation!
    I had the same experience with cronometer--it's a fine theory but in science bad info is worse than no info. My outcomes never followed the inputs in any linear fashion so I just keep my food choices on the scale of adding or subtracting entire habits--wine with dinner yes/no, apple afterward yes/no
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

noodletoy is offline Senior Member

right now you're in that misery zone of not enough carbs for fuel, but too many to be in ketosis, so, you need to pick which way you want to go. if it's higher carb, then you need lower fat. it sounds like you don't do all that well with fat anyway so this might actually be more sustainable for you? quality of carbs TOTALLY matters, so do not fear tubers and fruits.

at your height, you are within a healthy weight range, so unless your frame is very slender we are talking more about vanity pounds? those are the dickens to boot.

lastly... start lifting. fit strong muscles burn more cals, even while at rest and you will be smaller even if weighing the same.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I had the same experience with cronometer--it's a fine theory but in science bad info is worse than no info. My outcomes never followed the inputs in any linear fashion so I just keep my food choices on the scale of adding or subtracting entire habits--wine with dinner yes/no, apple afterward yes/no
    i don't think it ever hurts to have a ballpark idea since most people grossly underestimate how many cals they consume each day anyway and it can be especially problematic with women since we generally have a smaller caloric window within which to wiggle.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

RedValkyria is online now Senior Member
    Thank you everyone for your comments and help (:

@Elliot, yeah, that's why I was wondering about « going rogue » on smoothies with (cooked) fruit and veggies and lowering the fat intake. I just hope I won't get the « raw-food body ». I'm not aiming for that either...!

@sharperhawk, I've been trying to lose them for half a year now... The sweet spot is sneaky as hell (x Primal and paleo didn't catch my attention just because of the promise to lose those extra kilos, but because I think that what's behind them (the cereals, legumes, grains philosophy) is right. Now, I just really have no clue of which way to go...!

@Doc, I'm not planning to be extremely exact on this, that's for sure. I know the limitations of my measurements and those of the website itself - yet, I've simply no idea about calories, carbs, and fat on food. I thought this would help me to build some knowledge before stopping logging information. That's not my thing. I prefer using my own approximative knowledge and not kitchen scales and percentages...

@bazz, I hope I'll get that knowledge soon!

@picklepete, that's actually an interesting way of doing it. That'd probably help me to figure out why, sometimes, I can eat tomato, and other times, I suffer heartburns for two days because I drank some gazpacho... I'll try to include it (: Thanks!

@noodletoy, I've had bone problems all my life. Apart from the hypermobility, my bones are very thin, and they cannot support a lot of weight. The maximum I can reach without pain is 60, but I start to have sleepless nights due to backache around 59,5kg or so. I used to swim, but it didn't help me with the pain at all: the muscles added extra weight.

I simply live in a very annoying and complicated weight balance... And now, I'm trying to find it on my diet. Whether I'll take the road of high-carb or the one of high-fat, depends on what my body tells me.

As you two have mentioned, Doc and noodletoy, I may be on that proberbial « miserable zone » (fantastic), but I may also have chosen the wrong « high » path.

Now, I'm really wondering if I shouldn't buy a good immersion blender and just go green!

Thank you all very much. This has taken away the fog and now I've got a bit extra information to continue (:

sharperhawk is online now Senior Member
    When are you eating your carbs? They cause insulin release, which can make you feel tired ("food coma"). Save the carbs for the evening meal.

Have you tried eating only fat for most of a day? If you do that and have good energy levels, then you should be fine on a low-carb, high-fat diet. It's a test you could do on a lazy weekend.

RedValkyria is online now Senior Member
    Now, I eat protein and fat in the mornings, even though I used to eat bread and cereals...! In fact, a couple of hours ago I baked two small sweet potatoes, and they sure are making me tired - which is fantastic, because I need to sleep well, once and for all!

I'll try that this weekend (: I'll just have to do some research about high-fat products...!

I had a pretty high-fat day on Friday, with 86g of fat, 54 carbs, and 25 protein - yet, I remember feeling satiated but sluggish. I've been having weak legs and sudden palpitations for several days no, and that day was no exception. Maybe a full weekend will allow my body to notice the change on the fat intake and give me the answers I seek...

Thanks for the suggestion (:

Red-

ah, ok, i didn't realize you had physical limitations, my apology.

your week legs and racing heart could be an electrolyte imbalance from being low-carbish. drink some salty broth and eat avocados.

– Ernest Hemingway

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    drink some salty broth and eat avocados.
    Chilled Avocado Soup
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    I'm embarrassed not to have mentioned something else. We all have a tendency to oversimplify humans. As a pathologist who looks at incredibly complex biopsies every day I should never forget this. But we tend to think weight loss = less food and more exercise, when there are bunches of other factors to consider. Poorly managed stress can produce cortisol which can halt weight loss. Some people hyperrespond to any carbs and produce lots of insulin; you won't be losing any weight if insulin levels are high. Getting enough sleep? Really important, as regular sleep habits can also be. Hydration? Ditto. Outlook? Tend to focus only on the negatives? Leads to increased stress, discouragement, and remedial sugar binge eating.

If you DO decide to do the Low Carb thing, I would urge you to give it the full two weeks and I agree with the salty broth comment above. The metabolic shift to fat burning can lead to tiredness ("Atkins Flu") while converting, but it generally goes away in a few days. Forewarned is forearmed. I bet a lot of people try for a day or two and if they are as immature and impatient as I am, they give up just as success is coming. And I generally recommend that beginning low carbers get The New Atkins for a New You by Dr. Eric Westman, Volek, and Phinney. Good science, practical. Read it!
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast