Thread: Primal Journal: Time for Change (Hummingfly) page

Hummingfly is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal: Time for Change (Hummingfly)

Primal Fuel
    Today I am starting to take much better care of myself than I have to date and in a long time. I have been diagnosed with a chronic disease called Myositis and don't want to just manage symptoms, but instead improve quality of life for myself. I have read much on foods, what causes inflammation, and what would be best for someone with an autoimmune disorder. I want to get to a place where I don't want to escape from my own body as it feels at times too tense and weak at the same time. It is mine and I want to love being in it as much as possible.

So, here we go! Today, I weigh about 128 pounds or maybe more with the feasting this weekend. In any case, about where I have been the last two years. I am about 5' 3" in height. I look healthy enough to most and am a size I don't mind, but also would not mind being a little smaller, by about five pounds. I will say my pre-2012 weight, where things just kind of spiralled downward in many respects and I had to pick myself up since. I am in a healthy place emotionally and have been for over a year or so. I accept myself and want to find more of the good in each day and me.

I am a Cree woman in my late 30's, or will be officially when my birthday comes around this summer. Never had children but would still love to try. It's late, but I know my health needs to be better regardless of whether I have one physically or adopt or otherwise. My story to date has been that I have allowed this disease to take the best of me and have not seen what part I have in it much, so am taking control by starting with my diet or maybe even taking the next step as the emotional part needed to get to this place too.

I have a job that takes up much of me, so work-life balance needs work. I want to work to live and travel a great deal less for work, but more for me. It is stressful, which I need to manage.

I don't exercise at all anymore because I can't do what I once could, so need to start from low impact and build myself up. My muscles need to be strengthened as they have taken a few hits with the flare ups. It also is a careful balance for me with exercise as I cannot do anything when I am inflamed or it could cause more damage. So, I will take my time here, but intend on getting moving. I average about 6 hours of sleep a night, but will work toward 8 as this does make me feel good when I manage to get it in.

Play? There is not much in my current life but am going to build it in. I love spending time with family, friends, and especially little ones. However, am not a "player" per se, but do need to add more of the fun factor in my daily life.

Truly, I have a good idea of what to eat and not, so I will not spend too much time worrying about what to eat today other than what not to eat. Maybe not the best plan, but I will report back and keep myself accountable here. I need to learn and be inspired by some recipes, but am truly excited mostly to get on this path and see what changes come. I am thankful for two good friends who were put on my path in the last two months to share some of their stories, which has brought me to this place. I know I can do this and believe it is right for me as this is the way my people also ate, which I didn't want to lose also in the process. I love our wild meat and fish from the land, so feel I have gained already there. Meegwetch!

AutumnTiger is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

Good luck with your journey.

I look forward to hearing more about it. Although my own journey is currently about weight loss, I also love hearing about improving health factors that remind me that there is soooo much to be grateful for with this lifestyle. Best wishes

Thank you so much 😊 It was a nice surprise to see a reply and words of encouragement. I hope for you this I the right journey as well and lifestyle change. Health comes in all forms and we have to just love our bodies and give them better than we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

A little update on my Day 1:

First, I had no food since I have been away for a few weeks. So, my mother made me two boiled eggs for breakfast. I know I need more but it was a quick fix as I was running late but determined to do this.

Lunch: roasted chicken breast and spinach salad

Supper: grilled beef patty, iceberg lettuce, pineapple and tomato with a side of steamed broccoli

Water: 4-5 glasses

I felt good about this start so think am on a high from that. I got groceries, cleaned my fridge and got everything set to do this well.

Energy: still on the low end, with weak muscles as I am in a bit of a flare. No exercise but did do some light cleaning.

Truly just feeling happy this Day 1 to do this for me. I cried rereading that first post. It may be the first time I has been this honest with myself. I believe I am finally focused on taking charge of what I can and that is an incredible feeling. I also love myself enough to do it too.

Day 2:

Today was a little tougher as I actually felt hungry and had a headache. Maybe withdrawal from sugar, caffeine...not sure but my body missed something today. I also had low energy and felt I used 6 of my 12 spoons of energy for the day just taking a shower, getting dressed and making breakfast.

Slept much too late last night. 1:30 am I believe so I only finally woke up around 10 am. Too late I learned but it is also the first day of my vacation. I even had to take a nap in the afternoon. So, definitely need to adjust my sleeping habits as it is what I need most.

B: two scrambled eggs with mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes, red pepper and scallions/ chai tea

Snack: two peaches

S: beef patty, spinach salad with red pepper, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions and balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Snack: red grapes and honey cantaloupe/ green tea

Water: 5-6 glasses

That was a wonderful day 2 of food.

The headache likely is sugar withdrawal, it is amazing how insidious it is even when you don't have much extra sugar - I just used to have two in my morning coffees, but really noticed it when I did Whole-30 last month. Stick with it and tough it out, as otherwise it will just prolong the process. However, do be mindful of whether there might be another genuine reason for a headache. Its all about listening to our bodies.

Vacation is a great time to begin to put in place new habits for the future as you can (generally) do so without the pressures of every day life.

Keep up the great work

Thank you! The headaches have not come back since that one day! I am actually feeling good and am enjoying this change so far. I do think I may be missing some things in my diet but think I just need to get a little more organized about it. I guess that will come in time.

Day 3, 4, and 5:

I know this is not the way to do it but it has been a busy week for me while on vacation. Lots of personal errands I am trying to get through. It feels good though as I am getting things done I have not had time for, such as gardening and beautifying the outside of my home. Also taking care of things on the inside as well, so that all feels good.

This whole change has been a good challenge for me. I feel great just by watching what I do put into my body and feel it is a gift to myself to do all this. I have been a bit hungry at times so wonder if I am missing something in my meals or just maybe need to have snacks on hand too that fit. Again, just need to be more organized I think overall but am doing well in cutting out sugar, dairy, and grains. Am on Day 6 now and so far, while not easy at times, I can see and feel a difference.

I feel less bloated and can see some of the inflammation has diminished. Lately or most of this year, I could not see the bones in my hands and toes because of this, but noticed last night I can in my feet and my rings are a little looser. My clothes also are and for better. My face also has more definition. I am losing a bit of weight naturally but know that it is helping with some of my symptoms so far. Pretty amazing. 😊

I also feel good and while I still have muscular weakness and get out of breath going up and down stairs, I do feel better in many ways. I have a more clear mind, which I also think is because I am on vacation, but know I get fuzzy from my condition as well. I am being patient with my body so I can get to a point of being able to exercise again. I do feel the inflammation is also reduced in my shoulder area, which causes me limited range of motion when it is. So, that's another good change.

In terms of sleep, it has not been the best but that's just because I met someone this week. We seem to keep one another up getting to know each other but know not best for me for health reasons to have odd sleep habits. I also had two gatherings with family and friends which were fun but late. There was all kinds of good at both I could not have but munched on veggies and fruit. Lots of water! That has also become a good friend to me and I enjoy my tea a little more these days as well.

For my meals, they were:

Day 3:

B: smoked salmon, mixture of veggies (spinach, peppers, onions and tomatoes) with two eggs; Earl Grey Tea

L: salad with fruit (berries and oranges) and almonds with a raspberry balsamic dressing (store bought as I was running errands but worked out)

S: hamburger patty, guacamole, a few potato wedges, lettuce and tomato. Also had some fruit: cantaloupe and pineapple. This was a dinner with my sister so managed to make the best of eating with family but eliminated what I could.)

Snacks: grapes and cantaloupe

Day 4:

B: two eggs with spinach

L: vegetable soup with Green Tea

S: grilled chicken, peppers and onions; salad- southwest mix but removed the cheese, sour cream and taco bits for myself. (Another family meal but managed to enjoy it with them minus taco shells and other parts.)

Snacks: two slices of watermelon and grapes

Day 5:

B/L: Smoked salmon, two eggs with spinach, onion, peppers and tomatoes with Chai Tea

S: beef patty grilled, fried garlic and kale, and mixed veggies (mushrooms, peppers and onions)- This time my sister ate with me and enjoyed it.

Snacks: grapes

Indulgence: a few glasses of white wine with friends last night- this is honestly paid for as I had some cramps. Maybe less when I do have friends over but it doesn't happen often.

So after looking at all this, I need some more breakfast options so I don't always eat the same thing and not always eggs as well. In addition, I just need to have some veggies cut up and ready for snacking also. Finally, I need to change up my suppers a little as well. I loved the kale though and would probably do that again. I need better meat and some fish but am pretty proud to stick with it so far and know I can continue to do this for me with learning more.

I have not been drinking as much water I need to, so something I should get to doing as well. I find when I carry around a water bottle, better at getting what I need.

Whew! All caught up now and feeling good!

Heya, hope everything is still going well.

Those food choices are coming along nicely.

I am pretty boring when it comes to breakfast food, although I have three different type over the course of seven days. Mon & Tue I have smoked mackerel fillets - because they keep in the fridge from the previous shop and means I don't have to prepare anything for the start of the week. Then Wed, Thu & Fri I have meatloaf, which is basically pork mince and onion. I make it as meatloaf rather than patties because it cook better in the oven and I can drain off the fat, which is necessary because it is factory farmed mince. Then weekends are full English: bacon, sausage, eggs and mushrooms & tomatoes. Every now and again I will also throw in an omelette, but I like my omelettes with cheese, which I am avoiding at the moment

It sounds like every day you are learning more and making better choices - isn't it wonderful!?!