Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edamame beans (Soya), yes or no? page

Lektar is offline Junior Member

Edamame beans (Soya), yes or no?

Primal Fuel
    I love these, they are so fresh and nutty, but I seem to be reading conflicting info on this website. They are preferable, but I guess high in carbs ?

Are they Primal or not?

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    No. Primal or not, they are baaaaaad for you. Phytoestrogens are NOT endogenous for the human body. Especially for men and boys, they are dan-ger-ous.

Get raw garbanzos if you must have something like that. :-) They're not really primal either, but nummy.

http://www.wholesoystory.com/
    http://www.wholesoystory.com/newslet...eFertility.pdf

Confused About Soy?--Soy Dangers Summarized

* High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking. High phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.
    * Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.
    * Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.
    * Soy phytoestrogens are potent antithyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
    * Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.
    * Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D.
    * Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.
    * Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.
    * Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods.
    * Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.

1. Studies Showing the Toxicity of Soy in the US Food & Drug Administration's Poisonous Plant Database (7.5M PDF)
    2. Studies Showing Adverse Effects of Dietary Soy, 1971-2003
    3. Studies Showing Adverse Effects of Isoflavones, 1953-2003

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert.html for a stack of links to articles for your edification. :-)
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    No.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Not at all primal and not at all healthy. Avoid completely!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Lektar is offline Junior Member
    Marks says he eats them regularily in one of his blogs, so how can they be the devil in the form of a green tasty bean?
    Surely the jury is out?

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    I second Eklecktica!

Man was never intended to eat soybeans!
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

strom is offline Senior Member

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lektar View Post
    Marks says he eats them regularily in one of his blogs, so how can they be the devil in the form of a green tasty bean?
    Surely the jury is out?
    Depends on how you define the jury I guess!

As you indicated, Mr. Sisson does not appear to consider them (at least in a whole and/or fermented form) the unqualified devil that many others do; here's a link to his blog post "Scrutinizing Soy": http://www.marksdailyapple.com/soy-scrutiny/

And this quote is from the blog post "10 Things to Know About Tofu" (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-things-to-know-about-tofu/ ):"Whole soybeans, or edamame (in-the-shell version), are a great plant protein source. I eat soybeans regularly and I think this is a great way to eat soy because beans are unprocessed, fresh, and whole."

arewolfe is offline Junior Member
    Definitely read up on why you should avoid soy in all forms. Even tempeh, which is fermented IN THE PLASTIC THEY SELL IT IN... nasty. It's so ironic when you see soccer moms walking out of the health food store with cartons of soy milk.

It's in the same league as hydrogenated oils, HFCS, artificial coloring, McDonald's, etc.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    It's not high in carbs, just unhealthy. From what I remember it's the phytates that block mineral absorption and something in soy that mimicks estrogen that makes it so bad.
    Mark eats fermented soy.. I forgot why that's better than unfermented but a quick search of the site will probably bring up a few articles on soy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast