Thread: trying to heal my teeth page

lavendercat is offline Junior Member

Smile trying to heal my teeth

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hi, im new here.

i discovered this site while doing a search for "carb flu".

i have been interested in nutrition since i was a teenager. i think the most success i had was with the "fit for life" programme when i was in my 20s. i started eating lots of grains, beans and veggies and no fat, based on the books of susan powter. i lost quite alot of weight very slowly, with lots of cardio. i could never cut calories and this diet allowed me to eat huge amounts of rice. then i went onto the fit for life diet, which is 70% raw. then i just kept cutting back until i was only eating rice and carrots. after my skin turned orange, i switched to rice and tomatoes.

well, my mental health deteriorated quite rapidly at this stage and i had to move back with my parents. i began to eat "normally" again. i noticed that my skin seemed to improve, which i thought might be due to more protein. but anyway, i got stuck in the mental health system and was put on many different anti-psychotics and anti-depressants. this led me to gain weight and a whole host of other health problems.

so now, i have diabetes, high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, and then the mental health problems. i came off alot of my medication of my own accord this year since i hated the side effects. now i just take my thyroid pills. i had been managing my diabetes with diet. i tried the "reverse diabetes diet" by neal barnard and had some success with that. i lost some weight and my sugars seemed to normalise.

anyway fast forward to now. last week i was doing some kind of budget cookbook. the food was tasty but it involved alot of white flour. i have stopped checking my sugars, and i never go to the doctor because they just nag me about my weight and try to put me on more meds.

well, on this budget diet i was feeling pretty lousy. its got so bad that i feel nauseous several times a day and have to go and lie down. im not getting much done in the house. i wasnt sure what was causing it, and i was pretty certain that the doctors wouldnt know and would just put me on a proton pump inhibitor.

and then one of my teeth broke. it just fell apart. i was horrifed. ive always had good teeth and i never go to the dentist. since then it has been crumbling away. its very distressing, and i cant afford the treatment.

so, i began to research into healing teeth naturally, and that led me to the wellness mama website, and the info there about healing it through nutritional means.

well, out of desperation, today i have begun the diet. i didnt want to. i like the taste of meat but i feel sorry for the animals. also it goes against all the books i have about the low fat vegan diet. i was pretty certain it was the best diet, and lots of doctors seemed to say so, and there was that whole china study thing. so i was sceptical but willing to try anything at this stage. with the emphasis on meat and fat, it is literally the opposite of what ive been doing most of my life.

but then, i came to this site looking for info about carb flu, and here are all the testimonials about how much better your health can be on the primal diet. i was especially impressed with the story of the lady who healed her chronic fatigue syndrome.

so, im going to give it a try. i cant really afford it, but i cant carry on any longer feeling like crap all the time, and i need to address the situation with my teeth right away. also, with the testimonials and the info on wellness mama about healing mental health problems, im starting to wonder if this diet might do more for me than just heal my teeth

sorry this is so long. anyway since this afternoon i havent felt sick. thats something to start with
    Last edited by lavendercat; 07-20-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Nillos is offline Senior Member
    Hi there.
    I wouldn't expect any wonders in regards to restoring damaged teeth, but most of the other health problems shouldn't be an issue as long as you can make a sustainable lifestyle change.
    If you're not doing it already find some activity you enjoy doing outside to get some daylight and exercise regularly.

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    You probably can't heal badly damaged teeth, but you can heal small cavities and make your teeth lots stronger. Not too long before I started Primal, I had to have a tooth pulled because my body had sucked so much calcium out of it. Every time I went to the dentist, he had to replace fillings that had gotten loose. My conventional doc said to take some calcium. That was wrong. I get enough from (local, organic, pastured) dairy. Also, I got kidney stones, especially after I read about vitamin D here and started taking it.

You need to find the right balance of calcium (supplement only if you can't get enough from diet), magnesium (most Americans are very deficient), VITAMIN K2, vitamin A (from food). Avoid conventional toothpaste. You can find lots of suggestions here. I use original, cavity prevention Crest, which will make lots of people here scream. There is lots of info here about healing teeth. I haven't tried those methods so I can't comment.

I had psychological problems all my life up to starting Primal. (I'm 71.) The psychological healing from Primal has been even more impressive than the very impressive physical healing.

Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

hi thanks for the replies. its the morning of day 2 and i actually feel good. i cant believe it. usually in the mornings i am so groggy and stiff, and i havent felt very good in a long time.

im not really expecting miracles with my teeth, like i said im sceptical, but, if i can maybe even get to a point where it wont begin to hurt, that will be enough. ive asked for one of these "low income" forms (im in the uk) and it will take them up to 5 weeks to process the form. if it crumbles even more and starts hurting before that im screwed.

but in a way, its a good thing about the teeth, because i wouldn have begun this diet otherwise and i wouldnt have so much motivation to stick to it. funnily enough it seems easy to stick to so far. the raw vegan diet is hellishly hard, with really bad cravings. so im glad that i dont even seem to want bread.

i havent been outside for very long in quite a while. the most i do is check on the plants and put the washing out. i am thinking that i might try to get outside today. i have to go to the shop to get more meat and veggies. thats going to be a big deal, but i will go early while theres no-one around. i have this social phobia thing that makes it hard to go out. i dont want to run into anyone and have to chat. luckily we live in a small friendly village, but i still get very paranoid.

i made a coconut oil and bicarb toothpaste yesterday. this seems to work well. i also tried the "oil pulling" thing for a short amount of time. i have noticed that psychologically i seem to feel better. if this diet works, then it makes sense that i was at my most ill during times when i had no meat or fat in my diet.

So my guess was probably in the right direction.
    What I think you lack the most are vitamin D from sun exposure, some form of exercise and social interaction.
    Getting your diet in the right direction is obviously another huge part in getting you healthy so make sure you ask questions in case you have any.

yes i started this thing because of the whole "teeth" situation, but the more i read about it, the more it seems like the way to go, for many reasons. the other thing is that i was feeling like crap all the time. now that im feeling a bit better i can think about other things like going outside.

ive just been to the local shop to get more food. it was very expensive. i made small talk with the shopkeeper. probably the only person ive spoken to apart from my boyfriend for a few weeks. the social interaction is going to be the hardest thing i think.

Social interaction might just get better once you get the hang of it and well simply from feeling more comfortable in your body.

yes, that would be nice im very self consious about my weight and appearance in general. i think if i lost some weight and looked and felt more healthy it would help my confidence

been reading loads today about nutrition instead of getting on with things. lol. its all new information to me. i was so impressed today when i read a few articles by denise minger on the "raw sos" site, which explain just why the lowfat vegan diet isnt that great, and why its been touted as the ideal diet to follow by many doctors. (also the site is really funny, and presents the info in a very entertaining way). well this issue confused me because neal barnard was my favorite nutritionist and i couldnt figure out what led them to these wrong conclusions about diet.

anyway i dont feel too bad. i havent had any of the usual nausea today, and i havent had to go and lie down. i have a slight headache but i think thats to be expected.