I really do have a serious case of wanderlust! Sometimes it conflicts with my career ambitions (i.e. I don't work in a field where employers are likely to give you a full months' leave to travel, let alone half a year!), but I plan to spend the rest of my life exploring this awesome planet to the maximum extent possible

I'm a lawyer, living in Ottawa, and am now firmly in my mid-30s. I turned 34 about 3 weeks ago, and it's like a switch went on in my brain about how much time I have left in this world. I know, it sounds dramatic. But seeing my parents and grandparents fall apart from lifestyle diseases (in my family, diabetes is the precursor to heart disease and dementia/Alzheimers), and realizing that I could start to see some of those same issues in the next decade (my parents first started having issues with diabetes in their 40s) has really made me realize that I need to make some changes.

In a nutshell: I am a long-time lurker, and first discovered the incredibly detrimental impact of a low-fat, high-carb diet on my physical and mental health in my early 20s. I have struggled with my weight, along with depression and anxiety, since I was a child, and actually had the symptoms of so-called "metabolic syndrome" in my early 20s. I was diagnosed at that time with PCOS. Following that diagnosis, I lost weight over a period of 2 years, going from 260 to about 190. I maintained that loss for several years, but since law school, I have yo-yo-ed, and about two years ago, ended up back at 260 or so. I had several bouts of depression and anxiety, including a horrible period in 2010 when I considered suicide. All of this was accompanied by the re-emergence of my binge eating disorder. Dealing with that was complicated, as several foods actually trigger binge eating for me; but I also had to scale back in classifying foods as good/bad and from obsessing over what I ate, and my weight, in order to get over the myriad issues wrapped up in my eating disorder.

At this point in my life, I am quite happy and content overall. I've worked really hard to like who I am (for example, I no longer tell people to remove pictures of me on Facebook that show I am fat - because I don't hate myself for being fat anymore), be proud of what I have accomplished in life (which is a lot), and to build a social network and a niche in my community. I am still struggling with issues related to body image and dating (for me, those go hand in hand) but whatever. That'll sort itself out one day. Or not, but that would be ok, too. I have a really awesome life filled with amazing people and experiences. Things aren't perfect, but I consider most of my problems to be First World Problems. That's a pretty damned lucky place to be in this world.

So at this point, I am at 239. No problems whatsoever with cholesterol, blood sugar, or blood pressure, but have been dealing with back issues due to bad posture/a weak core. I have actually lost about 20-25 pounds over the last year, by being more active again, and by focussing again on whole foods. I first became aware of paleo/primal in my late 20s. Primal really seems to suit me - that is, when I stick with it long enough to make it a habit. So I'm here and decided to create a profile, to see if I can find some like-minded people in this community for mutual support.

Here are my goals (note, none of them are about the scale):

1. To completely eliminate wheat in particular from my diet - it has crept back in over the last year, and has triggered some bingeing for me, so I am determined to nip that in the bud.

2. To curb the sugar monster, which has also reared its ugly head and is causing me to seek out sweet treats every afternoon.

3. To limit relatively "safe" starches (white rice and taters) to a meal or two on weekends.

4. To have a "big-ass salad" for lunch most days.

5. I love working out and being outdoors, but consistency is often an issue for me - but I'm getting better. So my goal is to build my strength and endurance through 2-3 gym workouts per week (consisting of hill workouts on a treadmill and bodyweight/free weight exercises), keep up my almost-daily yoga/stretching routine, and continuing my outdoors (I walk to work everyday, which is about 30 minutes walking total right there, and I often go for a very long walk on weekends - 2-3 hours at a time). Also planning to go biking more over the summer.

So, that's it for now.

That was a big nutshell, eh?