Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: juliapenguin turns over a new leaf page

juliapenguin is offline Senior Member

juliapenguin turns over a new leaf

I started living primally four years ago but got sidetracked by some huge life events. One of the life events, my husband's serious illness, is still ongoing, but I've got enough space in my head now to recommit to saving my own life.

At the moment I'm in pretty good health, considering that I'm 150 pounds overweight, but I know I'll be in trouble if I don't lose some of it soon. This weight problem is caused by two factors. The first is that I have battled for my whole life with emotional overeating, particularly sugar. Secondly, I have had the autoimmune disease cholinergic urticaria for 26 years - this is a form of painful nettle rash brought on by any exercise, even gentle walking or swimming. My consultant said last time I saw him that most of his patients with this condition are seriously overweight and all of them have anxiety and/or depression.

I know from experience that eating primally will help in lots of ways. Last time it made no difference to the urticaria but I think I probably didn't give it enough time.

So, day one. It's a Sunday, and I'm at home all day and in control of my own meals. I've started with some bacon and a decaf coffee with cream, and I'm sitting in my garden waiting for my husband to wake up.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    272 - 264 - 168

The first day is still going well - I've cooked up a big pan of cauliflower and mixed it with crispy bacon and grated cheese for lunch. I'm keeping busy doing chores around the house and garden - I need to live in an organised home to have the head space to make these essential lifestyle changes.

272 - 264 - 168

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Good Luck.

My advice: Find some friends among the journals for support. Link to mine below. My MDA friends are awesome.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

needtogetwell is offline Senior Member
    Wishing you well!

Sounds like you are heading on the right path. Your lunch sounds yummy. May have to make some with my dinner tonight!

.....living the Grock life rocks!

Pebbles - it was tricky finding you through the iPhone app - I had to go to the web view instead.. Thanks for the advice about linking up with others - I don't know anyone who eats primally (or even low carb) in real life.

272 - 264 - 168

narrowminded is offline Senior Member

juliapenguin turns over a new leaf

Hi Julia and welcome. My husband also has a serious illness. You can read about it in my journal linked below. I too am trying to live primal to stay healthy to take care of him. It will help you. I do understand the head space needed and finding that isn't always easy. I'll be here cheering you on.

Thank you narrow minded. I'm still having trouble finding your journal on the iPad app but will try later on the laptop.

My husband had haemorrhagic myelitis last year caused by a cavernoma (a benign tumour made of abnormal blood vessels) in the cervical spine. He's been left with some serious problems and the cavernoma has been judged inoperable. He's been off work 13 months and life has been hard.

I'm determined to live primally to ward off preventable illness. What happened to Mr Penguin was completely unforeseeable, but with my weight and stress levels I'm a car crash waiting to happen if I don't do this.

I've had a really stressful day but a fabulous lunch of chicken satay and teriyaki chicken salad (peanuts and soy aren't primal, I know, but I was with a friend in a much-loved noodle bar and quantities of the offending ingredients were small) kept me full until dinner. That was sirloin steak with cauliflower, courgette and an avocado salad. I'm now resting in the garden and feeling good.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    272 - 264 - 168

narrowminded is offline Senior Member
    Julia - sending huge hugs your way. DH has ALS, he's been on a vent and unable to move his limbs for 4 years. Taking care of a loved one is very hard. My heart goes out to you as I know exactly how tough life can be. DH's problem was also a surprise and unpreventable, but I too have to fix my train wreck, can't afford to have us both off of the rails. We will work through this together.

Grok on!

Is ALS what we call in the UK motor neurone disease? Awful. My thoughts are with you too.

I've had a hard day today. It's incredibly hot here at the moment, and there's no air conditioning at home or work. God bless Starbucks, Costa and Caffe Nero... but I didn't manage to get there today as I had no free time. My autoimmune condition means I can't regulate my body heat so it's been a very uncomfortable and itchy day.

Nevertheless I stayed primal apart from a small portion of potato - which triggered huge hunger pangs, as usual. I didn't resort to sugar, but I sure feel sorry for myself.

I've run out of energy at work. I teach English for Academic Purposes to international university student and don't finish until 15 August - I've been teaching all the way through the academic year and I'm all burned out. I've got a week in Scotland by the sea then a staycation for another week, two weeks back at work planning and writing materials, then a week in Helsinki (pushing a wheelchair round - I feel exhausted already!). Then it all starts again....

Last time I did primal living I felt so much better mentally and physically - I really hope that kicks in soon.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    272 - 264 - 168

needtogetwell is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Julia,

Stick with it, you haven't been back doing this that long. It will get easier and all of a sudden you will feel really good.

Your upcoming travels sound wonderful! Relax and enjoy every minute of them.

You're doing great! Just hang in there!
    Cheers

.....living the Grock life rocks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast