Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Vinaigrette page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Restaurant Vinaigrette

Primal Fuel
    So I went out to eat with a co-worker and got a seared tuna salad.

It came with a bacon vinaigrette that I'm fairly certain was no primal because I don't know what kind of oil it used.

Tell me, what oil did I most likely ingest and should I induce vomiting immediately in order to purge myself of this unprimal poison?

Ok... but seriously, what would it most likely be?

edit: I'm not super anal about food, I just realized I have no idea what most restaurants use in their dressings.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    for dressings, sauces, vinaigrette, almost all restaurants use vegetable oil. most likely canola or soy.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/l...-and-bad-fats/
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-06-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    When I worked at a pretty nice restaurant, our saucier went through TONS of canola oil. Bleh. So did the fry-cooks.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Oh well, a tablespoon or two of canola oil isn't gonna kill me, but its good to know at least.

*runs away to fast, vomit, and chug fish oil to hopefully not die*

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    I've learned to always ask for the dressings on the side when I order, no matter how innocuous it sounds on the menu (i.e. "olive oil vinaigrette"). Plus they always put so much on there!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I found out that my favorite restaurant dressing is made with soybean oil (gross). But the dressing itself is so delicious. The best Greek vinaigrette ever. Fortunately I don't eat out much at all, plus I moved from the town where that restaurant is anyway. I've never tried to duplicate the dressing, but I might give it a shot...

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I would ask the waiter to find out.

And then yeah, if it's not a fine dining scenario, then it's probably canola or something more disgusting. CHEAP ingredients rule the profit margins. DH is a chef, but in a fine dining environment. I'm trying to think of the last time I've seen him use something like canola. It's always EVOO, or Grapeseed oil (not even sure where that ranks). He likes to experiment. He's big on infused oil. Which seems to be done with EVOO most of the time. But you just never know!

zorba is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I found out that my favorite restaurant dressing is made with soybean oil (gross). But the dressing itself is so delicious. The best Greek vinaigrette ever. Fortunately I don't eat out much at all, plus I moved from the town where that restaurant is anyway. I've never tried to duplicate the dressing, but I might give it a shot...
    If you want to make your own fantastic greek salad dressing, just use approx 3 parts olive oil to one part vinegar. Approx 2 tbs of oregano and salt and pepper. Put it all into a container and shake it up. Taste it and adjust whatever you might need to. This is an authentic recipe straight out of the kitchen of my greek grandmother (yia yai) from the old country!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe that nobody (up until now) suggested that you obviously ingested used motor oil from a 1972 Dodge Dart. I feel your pain though, I hate the idea of mystery oil too. That said, did you check your dipstick?

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    When I eat a salad at a restaurant I always get it on the side and add as little as possible.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast