Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation page 4

JamesKrieger is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jturk View Post
    Hmm, it seems as if you may be guilty here of doing what Taubes describes the low fat proponents doing for years, which is to take data that contradicts their hypothesis and dismiss it on the basis of "flawed methodology" (rather than reject their hypothesis), whereas anything that supports their beliefs (however weakly) is held up as gospel. Here are my issues with your potential alternative explanations of my results:
    The other thing I have to ask you....that weight you lost...where do you think all the carbon atoms went? You lost tissue mass which contains carbon atoms. Do you think they just disappeared? And the same goes with your food intake. Where do you think all of those carbon atoms go?

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesKrieger View Post
    The other thing I have to ask you....that weight you lost...where do you think all the carbon atoms went? You lost tissue mass which contains carbon atoms. Do you think they just disappeared? And the same goes with your food intake. Where do you think all of those carbon atoms go?
    Why to carbon atom heaven with all the other atoms displaced by low carb diets, of course!

But seriously, I appreciate your thoughtful replies. Like I said, I'd considered most of the alternative explanations you mentioned and found them implausible - though not impossible. And I certainly wouldn't expect you to reverse your opinion based on a single piece of anecdoctal evidence - the problem I have is that the nutritional data is such a mess of conflicting information that I do place a lot of value in my own personal experience/observations (and in the logic of the evolutionary perspective).

The history of science shows us that paradigm shifts typically occur over very long periods of time, partly on the basis of a healthy dose of skepticism on the part of those who hold the conventional view (a good thing!). Unfortunately, it's also many times due to unwillingness to let go of a deeply held belief - human nature, of course, and unlikely to change anytime soon!

Personally, I have no dog in this hunt, and so will go wherever the evidence leads...

Josh
    Last edited by jturk; 07-08-2010 at 08:08 AM.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234