Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skin Sensitivity & Acne Solutions Needed page

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member

Skin Sensitivity & Acne Solutions Needed

Shop Now
    Warning in advance-this might be a lengthy post, so bear w/ me :

Acne-
    I cut out dairy about 2 months ago, and my face acne (& bloating) improved, but never went away completely. I still have terrible acne scars on my forehead. This week, my acne came back with a vengeance for no particular reason and I have pimples all along my forehead. Pimples + old acne scars = not a pretty face or happy me .

I've struggled with acne since puberty (btw I'm 19, female). I am using shiseido acne treatment. Does anyone have advice on how to get rid of acne scars & pimples, and daily skin care routine? If you have any dietary advice to help acne as well, please share!
    I'm turning more towards DIY treatments b/c store-bought creams are expensive, and I just end up never using because it doesn't work, or it improves my acne initially but then does nothing more.
    Note: I have tried coconut oil and it leaves my face feeling greasy, which I'm guessing it shouldn't.

Eczema-
    After I cut out dairy, my acne & bloating improved but my eczema worsened. My arms also felt warm and sensitive whenever I ate and I only felt better once I applied an ice pack. I can't think of an explanation for this, but I need advice on how to heal my eczema because it gets very uncomfortable. I am applying kukui nut oil (Hawaii souvenir) nightly, but it is not helping much.

I have sensitive skin in general, and its just annoying to see other girls my age have perfect skin & makeup (& eat junk, also). Basically, my skin sucks & I need tips or references on how to make it suck less. TIA so much!!!

catgirl320 is offline Member
    My skin is super sensitive too. I have cystic acne and hidradinitis supparitiva. Totally sucks and it can take a while to see results. Are you doing the autoimmune protocol? If not, you might consider it, especially since you are still having issues with bloating and eczema besides the acne. For me diet has been key, since anything I am even mildly sensitive too shows up in my skin either through acne, rashes, histamine reactions, or boils.

Also, you might consider getting a full hormone panel done. If your estrogen/testosterone is imbalanced that would contribute to an acne problem, and topical treatments won't help with that.

Its also possible that some of it is due to seasonal allergies. As soon as mold is high I get a little break out, even if I am completely on plan.

For skin care, I tried many of the various systems, proactive, nuetrogena, etc. They were really harsh on my skin and caused more problems than they helped. I found I have best results if I avoid benzoyl peroxide, and keep it simple to avoid overdrying. The ones I use now are either salicylic acid or tea tree oil based. Here's my regimen:

Cleanser: Alba botanica good and clean gentle acne wash, 2x daily

Scrub: alba botanica good and clean toxin release scrub, 1/week

Face: derma e Very Clear Moisturizer with anti blemish complex 2x daily
    Derma e Very Clear Anti Spot treatment, as needed

Body: Trader Joes Coconut Body Butter or just plain coconut oil mixed with a drop of tea tree oil

Rashes, sensitive areas: derma e tea tree and e antiseptic creme

Scars: derma e scar gel

The scar gel I am using on some old surgical scars and to fade the color in some recently healed hs areas, and it seems to be helping with that. I don't know if it would help with acne scars though. To be honest, those will fade over time but it will take years. If they really bother you, you might have to see a dermatologist to see if micro-dermabrasion would help.

Also there's a Facebook group you might want to check out: Paleo Nuk's Skin Issues. Lots of ideas there.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, thank you so much for a detailed response! I have considered doing AIP or low-fodmap diet, but it's so restrictive I don't think it's sustainable for me long-term and I don't want to be stressing too much about my diet right now.
    It makes sense that my acne may be hormonal, since I do have issues w/ my menstrual cycle that I'm currently working on w/ a gynecologist.

I started trying apple cider vinegar + water for toner and am going to get tea tree oil for acne, so hopefully those help. I will look into derma e-can you buy that brand at any local drugstore?
    Also, do you find that coconut oil is not greasy on your skin? It left a "sheen" on my face after I applied it and washed it off.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I have considered doing AIP or low-fodmap diet, but it's so restrictive I don't think it's sustainable for me long-term and I don't want to be stressing too much about my diet right now.
    So either you do it or you don't. If you don't do it, you're accepting your present situation. If you do it, you may find it works, or you may find it doesn't.

Clearly if it doesn't work, there is no point in continuing. But if it does work, are you really ready to make a decision in advance that you'd rather be sick the rest of your life than limit your diet?

Alfie, the thing to remember is that the most restrictive part of the aip is only 30 days, then you begin adding things back in and tracking reactions. At the very least you might consider doing the whole30; if you are already doing primal then whole30 is just a step more and not quite as restrictive as aip.

But really aip isn't anything to be afraid of, we still eat really well. All that I've had to permanently eliminate are all nightshades, cauliflower, mango, and turmeric, because they cause the most severe skin reactions. Dairy gives me acne so it is a very rare indulgence. I can still have things like eggs, nuts, chocolate, coffee. For me the healing and the control over my condition are totally worth the effort.

You mention ongoing gyn problems. Those very well could be related to your eczema and acne issues. I had pcos and severe endometriosis, and I wish I had known then what I know now about all these issues being part of the autoimmune spectrum.

Derma e is available around me in natural foods grocers like whole foods and sprouts. I think at least some of the line on amazon too.

Here's a link to some info on skin conditions/aip at paleomom
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/m...psoriasis.html
    Last edited by catgirl320; 07-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Also, look at your laundry detergent that you're using on your pillow cases. If you don't already, switch to something that is clear of any scents, etc. Do you use any kind of fabric softener? I use it on my clothes but the pillowcases don't get it. Change your pillow case every night. That's a really simple thing that I wish I had known/thought of when I was a teenager. That makes a huge difference for me. What shampoo are you using? I recently was using something called "Clear" which I had had samples of and liked, but using it regularly made me break out pretty regularly again. There are a lot of things in addition to diet that you don't necessarily think impact your skin health but they do. Drink lots of water to help hydrate your skin. For me, when I get a really bad blemish rather than using an alcohol based acne solution to dry it out, I put Neosporin on it and that seems to work better. Good luck. I've been where you are and I feel for you.

Orange is offline Junior Member
    Have you tried Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser? My dermatologist put me onto Cetaphil not only to help my acne but to help treat my eczema, psoriasis and rosacea and it is the only skin care product that has been able to keep it all under control. My skin has also improved now that I follow the autoimmune protocol and make an effort to eat salmon two or more times a week.

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Also, do you get enough sun? That helps. Not so much that you get sunburned, but just a bit of sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

I forgot to say, I don't use coconut oil on my face. Like you I found it too heavy for the face.

But I do like it for my body, i find it very soothing on irritated areas especially when mixed with tea tree oil. And it does offer some sun protection for just everyday activity. The only time I use sun block is if I'll be out for several hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast