Thread: Primal Negatives page

Neil Collo is offline Junior Member

Primal Negatives

Primal Fuel
    I am, like you, a massive PB fan and thoroughly committed and enjoy this lifestyle. I often receive negatives from others who do not fully understand or accept it's principals. Does anyone know of any negatives to this lifestyle which they've come across? Other attitudes or research against a Primal diet/training plan etc? I just want to be loaded with counter arguments to ensure I can fully defend the PB lifestyle?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sure...but nothing that a fella with a half a brain and google access couldn't easily dispel.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Only negative is that you can obsess over everything you eat and drive yourself crazy. Plenty of evidence on these forums. I had to step back and reevaluate what I was eating to get to a better place.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

sharperhawk is offline Member
    Health vs. unhealthy fats are probably the biggest point of contention. Not only the general public but also most of the medical community is operating on misinformation. Saturated fats are considered unhealthy in CW, but primal/paleo recognizes them as the most stable for cooking. CW praises polyunsaturated fats, but mentions of omega-6 vs. omega-3 are rare, and concerns about rancidity are absent in the mainstream.

Another issue is the sustainability of a lifestyle that involves a lot of meat. I am not sure I've heard a good reply to this one. My main thought is that we have too many humans on the planet, with an alarming growth rate, and we are headed toward ecological disaster no matter what we eat, unless we can stabilize our population. Reducing meat consumption is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, at the cost of health.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    There are some debates here on the forums. But these debates are generally fine tuning within the PB, not something you would encounter from your CW SAD friends.

You may come across the arguments which attacked Atkins -- that high-protein low carb diets will damage your heart. But that damage only occurs when you go to ketosis levels of less than ~50g carb/day. 100 g carbs/day will prevent any potential effects of ketosis.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    Only negative is that you can obsess over everything you eat and drive yourself crazy. Plenty of evidence on these forums. I had to step back and reevaluate what I was eating to get to a better place.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    +1. Debates can confuse what is considered optimum health. For a while I wondered if I should be limiting PUFA from avocados and fatty fish b/c of the Peat craze that infiltrated the forums, until I realized that I really shouldn't be overthinking an avocado.
    Also, it gets quite expensive to eat a good portion of pastured chicken & eggs, grass-fed beef, etc daily. That's really not financially realistic for a lot of people. I compromise occasionally with very lean conventional beef, and free-range chicken.
    Social outings can be difficult as well, and I admit it was a lot easier when I could just eat whatever. I went to a work party last night and it was literally ceaser salad, pesto pasta, and brownies for catering. Nothing for me to eat.