Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition and Autoimmunity - help! page 2

sunnyskies9 is offline Member
    I appreciate what you said, and your approach is one that should be tried. Yes, he is being passive and blindly following whatever his PA (yes, correct he isn't even being seen by an MD) suggests that he do. I didn't express that very well in my initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot girl View Post
    I understand your concern: how could he not want to try a healthy diet and exercise?? It's not like you're suggesting anything crazy, just real food and activity. He won't even try ??? Fiance, huh? I'd be seeing some red flags with regard to communication and open- mindedness. Not saying he has to do everything your way, but he sounds unwilling to help himself. Good luck.
    Yeah this all started after we started planning a wedding. He is half-assed trying. Like most nights he will eat decent, but then the next he will be pounding chips and the gluten free baked crap.
    I have tried expressing how I feel about his choices to him, but he doesn't want to listen and gets frustrated. So it's difficult to suggest any changes to him without him blowing up about them. we've been together for 2.5 years, and would be extremely difficult breaking off anything at this point.

eac26 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyskies9 View Post
    I have tried expressing how I feel about his choices to him, but he doesn't want to listen and gets frustrated. So it's difficult to suggest any changes to him without him blowing up about them.
    Um, I really don't want to pry in areas where you're not asking for advice, but are you sure you want to deal with that for the rest of your life? Does he do this in other arguments too or just his health? Do you two live together and just eat separate meals? What is going to happen if kids come along? Who "wins" that argument? These kinds of things don't happen in a vacuum - what other things does he "half-ass try"?

It's never too late to break off a relationship, especially before marriage. It only gets harder after that.

Quote Originally Posted by catgirl320 View Post
    Get a copy of The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballentyne. It is basically a textbook on autoimmunity and using diet to manage it. It is well researched with citations.

She also has a site called thepaleomom.com that is a good place to get started.

Ive been doing the autoimmune protocol since last Oct. It has changed my life. I'm not "cured" but I am able to function again without constant pain, and I am better physically and mentally. I was skeptical, it seemed too good to be true, but I began seeing positive results within a couple of weeks.

When I started I had basically hit rock bottom health wise and was facing the prospect of skin grafts over large areas, so I was highly motivated to do the research and follow through on the plan. The truth is, your fiance may not be at that point yet (which seems clear since he's not really doing research on his own). He may not be receptive until a major crisis hits. Its the same phenomenon as people who ignore their docs until they have a quadruple bypass.
    Right. I know if he would at least try, it would make a world of a difference. A complete reversal of his condition would be nice, but I'm no idiot. I am currently reading that book. It is extremely insightful. Hopefully he will hit rock bottom sooner than later. There has to be a better solution compared to prednisone and Cellcept.

Quote Originally Posted by eac26 View Post
    It's really disheartening when you hear stories of people with XYZ medical condition who won't at least TRY to put down the Doritos and pill bottle and attempt something a little outside the box. It's not like you're trying to push him into taking MAGIK supplements that requite $100 up from and $98 to maintain. You're not trying to sell him anything. It's food. Granted, it's certain specific kinds of food, but those foods are meat, veggies and fat.

I have a skin-based autoimmune condition and have been able to put in to remission simply by avoiding all the anti-primal triggers as well as nightshades, eggs and nuts. Through tons of self experimentation one meal at a time, I know if I put THIS into my body, I will have THAT reaction. Still, it's just food! It's simply learning a different way of eating; one that promotes healing instead of whatever is the cheapest/fastest/most convenient/whatever his excuse to put in my mouth at any given moment.
    See. You get it. And that's why I'm trying to wrap my head around his lack of taking charge of his condition. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by eac26 View Post
    Um, I really don't want to pry in areas where you're not asking for advice, but are you sure you want to deal with that for the rest of your life? Does he do this in other arguments too or just his health? Do you two live together and just eat separate meals? What is going to happen if kids come along? Who "wins" that argument? These kinds of things don't happen in a vacuum - what other things does he "half-ass try"?

It's never too late to break off a relationship, especially before marriage. It only gets harder after that.
    Oh trust me. I would not be with him if he was easily angered. He only gets upset about his health problems, which makes me think he is still in denial. He was officially diagnosed a month ago. No he eats my cooking. But god knows what he eats while he is at work. Trust me when I say he has interests that he is very passionate about and has a BS in aeronautical engineering from a Big Ten school and has a very nicely paying job with the Air Force. He frequently comes up with random projects and sees them through to completion and is one of the most intelligent people I know. He is only half assed with issues of lifestyle and health.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    People have very high standards about changing their diet to include healthy food and exclude junk. If people insisted on seeing the research supporting the standard American diet of processed junk food, fast food, rancid factory oils, grains, and gallons of sweetened beverages, nobody'd ever be eating it.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If he was just diagnosed a month ago, I can totally understand his perspective on this. Learning of a serious auto-immune condition and trying to understand the medical prognosis and treatment is very unsettling to a person.

THEN you come along and propose a dietary solution--in effect, now giving him more to deal with when he may be currently on information overload from the PA. Surely he's seeing a PA who works with an MD. If so, it's not unusual at all for the PA to do the counseling and monitoring of a new patient. Thanks to insurance company greed, doctors get less and less time to spend with their patients.

You seem to be critical of his medical treatment, and at this time what he needs is just support. Down the road, as he adjusts to his condition, he may be more open to reading about what nutrition has to offer him. I say reading because you'd be wise to provide him with science articles, not your opinion of what he should do.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    If he was just diagnosed a month ago, I can totally understand his perspective on this. Learning of a serious auto-immune condition and trying to understand the medical prognosis and treatment is very unsettling to a person.

THEN you come along and propose a dietary solution--in effect, now giving him more to deal with when he may be currently on information overload from the PA. Surely he's seeing a PA who works with an MD. If so, it's not unusual at all for the PA to do the counseling and monitoring of a new patient. Thanks to insurance company greed, doctors get less and less time to spend with their patients.

You seem to be critical of his medical treatment, and at this time what he needs is just support. Down the road, as he adjusts to his condition, he may be more open to reading about what nutrition has to offer him. I say reading because you'd be wise to provide him with science articles, not your opinion of what he should do.
    I'm critical of his medical treatment because of the encyclopedia-size list of side effects and no real hope for a long term solution. I read prednisone has as high as 80% relapse rate after you stop taking it. And Cellcept.... No. Just no. That drug terrifies the living hell out of me. He has a history of UC and has played the prednisone game before.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Prednisone can be a miracle worker for some conditions but man is it rough on the body. I have a blood condition and have to take it before any surgery/bloodletting procedures because I have very low platelets and bleed too much. Took it for a month before my 1st son, which was good because I ended up needing an emergency c-section but it made my life hell. I luckily escaped the moon face and weight gain but it wreaked havoc on my brain and body. I'd do anything to avoid being on that drug for anything other than a few days pre-surgery. And my platelets went up (though are far below the bottom range of normal) when I cut out gluten and processed foods. My blood condition is defined as an auto-immune illness. Luckily it doesn't impact me other than bruising easily and afore mentioned surgery prep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast