Thread: Primal Blueprint and Thyroid (T4-to-T3 conversion) improvement? page

BrettFromTibet is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint and Thyroid (T4-to-T3 conversion) improvement?

Primal Fuel
    I am one month into the Primal Blueprint diet + lifestyle. So far, so great!

I was a carboholic (carb addict) for my entire life. I developed severe adrenal fatigue syndrome (AFS) and insulin resistance... and also associated symptoms of low thyroid. I healed my AFS with vitamins and rest. An endocrinologist tested me, diagnosed a "t4-to-t3 conversion problem" and put me on over the counter raw thyroid glandular (thyrotrophin PMG), 3x a day, and it greatly improved my hypothyroid symptoms. I slept better, had more energy, felt better. I took thyroid for 1 year before going Primal.

Since going Primal, I started to consume more coconut and MCT oil. Concentrated coconut products perceptibly raised my metabolism and energy (via thyroid?) a little high so I backed off a bit.

Then I started to feel my energy raise even more as the weeks went by, just from eating primal and being off the "insulin roller coaster." I started to develop insomnia and I recognized the effect as having too much thyroid horomones buzzing inside me (hyperthyroid). I cut my thyroid dose down to 3/4 of a pill and immediately I felt calmer and slept better. I no longer needed to be stimulating my thyroid with medicine as much!

One of the big "aha!" moments in reading the Primal Blueprint book, was on page 70, where Mark says "When your liver becomes insulin resistant, conversion of T4 to T3 declines dramatically."

What I think is happening is that the Primal Blueprint is curing my insulin resistance (based on my levels of hunger, mood stability), and my T4-to-T3 conversion problem (which was in my liver!) is not as much of an issue anymore, so taking the same dose of thyroid glandular is no longer necessary. Now it overstimulates!

My hope is that I can get off thyroid glandular entirely! But I will proceed slowly and cautiously.

Does anyone have any personal experience with thyroid function improvement or with being able to go off thyroid meds after going Primal? Please share!
    Last edited by BrettFromTibet; 07-15-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    I don't have personal experience with hypothyroidism but I know diabetes contributes to it. This has been well documented.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    It is dangerous to self-treat ANY thyroid issues. If you feel that you need to go off your meds, you need to discuss it with the doctor who originally prescribed them.

However, I find it odd that this doctor diagnosed a T4 to T3 conversion problem because that usually occurs with fairly advanced hypothyroidism. It's possible that you weren't hypothyroid at all, but the problem was your liver. In that case, it might be advisable to wean from the thyroid meds--but this is a medical issue, and you should consult a doctor before doing it on your own.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Have you measured your basal temperature when you awaken?

BrettFromTibet is offline Junior Member
    I have not done temperature measuring, I am just going on how I feel. I have had to navigate a very long and difficult health crisis on my own, based on how I feel - no single doctor (I have found) can completely understand my health situation better than I can.

I don't think these is any major health crisis in very slowly trying to go down on an over-the-counter thyroid supplement. It would be nice to speak to the Endocrinologist but it costs $$$$$. $$$$ I am spending on grass fed beef and buckets full of vegetables!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettFromTibet View Post
    I have not done temperature measuring, I am just going on how I feel. I have had to navigate a very long and difficult health crisis on my own, based on how I feel - no single doctor (I have found) can completely understand my health situation better than I can.

I don't think these is any major health crisis in very slowly trying to go down on an over-the-counter thyroid supplement. It would be nice to speak to the Endocrinologist but it costs $$$$$. $$$$ I am spending on grass fed beef and buckets full of vegetables!
    Totally agree...especially with thyroid hormone. Symptoms tend to guide this just fine.

zuzanac is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are quite low carb?
    I am trying to fix AF too.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum